Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,884 times

Advertisements

I was summoned to jury duty dade county courthouse. Yeah for me hahaha. What can I expect. Where is the best place to park because i am not taking metro? I guess i will be their form 8 to 5pm and i hate traffic ahha. I called to ask about parking and the "man" who answered was not nice and seems like he was in a hurry. I pray it is not murder trial because emotionally i can not deal with stuff like that. Do they have WiFi can i bring a book, are the rooms cold? Any information will be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoMiami View Post
I was summoned to jury duty dade county courthouse. Yeah for me hahaha. What can I expect. Where is the best place to park because i am not taking metro? I guess i will be their form 8 to 5pm and i hate traffic ahha. I called to ask about parking and the "man" who answered was not nice and seems like he was in a hurry. I pray it is not murder trial because emotionally i can not deal with stuff like that. Do they have WiFi can i bring a book, are the rooms cold? Any information will be helpful.
Let's hope it's not a murder case

Miami-Dade County - Clerk of Courts

Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
I pray it is not murder trial because emotionally i can not deal with stuff like that.
You won't be selected if you can't deal with stuff like that. The majority of people are not selected.

Anyway the room temp is fine from what I remember. Bring a sweater just in case. You can bring a book, ipad etc.. I am not sure if there is wifi. I want to say yes but I am not sure. When I was summoned I was in the room for a few hours. They then called me and a bunch of other people to be questioned to possibly be part of the Jury but there was a plea deal at the last minute. (guess it would have been an easy case ) We were then free to go. That is the best case. You get assigned to be questions but then don't get selected that is the quickest way out.

There is a Jury Parking lot right across the street for $5-$7.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
Murder cases are at the criminal courthouse next to Jackson. The courthouse downtown does civil cases. Your going to the county courthouse downtown correct?

I've only had jury duty at the federal court house (old and new) and the criminal courthouse. I've never had jury duty at the county courthouse. They have wifi, and yes it is freezing. I'll never forget woman who worked there wearing parkas in August inside. It was that cold. Wear pants and bring a jacket. They do release people early depending on whats happening or not happening. I was released by the federal courthouse after only bring there two hours and they payed me for a full day. I think the earliest the criminal courthouse has released me was 2pm. A friend of mine had jury duty at the criminal courthouse last month and was released at 3pm.

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-23-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,041 times
Quote:
Your experience does not surprise me one bit. That is the attitude that you get from most government employees.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM

626 posts, read 1,240,179 times
Quote:

Both times I had jury duty in Miami, the judge was very, very demanding that all cell phones be put either on mute or turned off. Not on vibrate...but either MUTE OR TURNED OFF.
That is, if you get picked to be a juror.

Last edited by cholo57; 07-23-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,038 times
Many years ago I went to the the criminal courthouse. I know they were very strict about cell phone use back then but things might have changed ever since.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Many years ago I went to the the criminal courthouse. I know they were very strict about cell phone use back then but things might have changed ever since.
Zero cell phone use in the court room. Outside of the court room you are ok.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 PM

Location: Downtown Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,Homestead for now
512 posts, read 1,224,884 times
Sugah Ray-thank you for the information
FlyMia-Wow you sure had an easy case. DO you remember one question they asked? Is $5-$7 all day parking?
Doggiebus-Yes I am going to county courthouse downtown.This will be interesting. I will all let you know how it was. Hit and run I will just say life ;-)
straightshooter-Yes it is like going to DMV. If they don't like their jobs find something else.
cholo57-Thank you for the information

I just want to thank all of you. I will sure let you know next week how it was. Hit and run i vote life. Yes i am tough.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,041 times
Being summons for jury duty and having to pay for parking is not right. There was a story on this not too long ago on one of our news outlets. Like always there was no follow up, probably because the county refused to address the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami