Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:13 PM

400 posts, read 515,443 times

Advertisements

Not all of Perrine is a dump, in fact there are really nice areas. Consider that it is 3.5 miles from the bay. I say it because I explored the area, Perrine, Cutler Bay, Palmetto Bay.
For sure you're not going to see ice or snow, in fact ya'll be complaining about the heat but it's just a matter of months to acclimatize.
On top of other recommendations, get on zillow.com (Forum I'm not advertising) to have an idea on what's available. 3 bedroom, 2 bath units are available but not abundant in a Condo (another possible little shock and adjustment, living in a big building) so it's likely you'll have to go townhouse.
After You choose a likely area get a realtor, their commission will be paid by the renter, not you and there are several valid reasons to use a realtor, a legally binding contract. One on one rentals, verbal agreement, are there but also there are dishonest or capricious people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 03:55 PM

526 posts, read 376,496 times
Where is Perrine?

Old 02-10-2017, 05:52 PM

400 posts, read 515,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste68 View Post
Where is Perrine?
South of Kendall, on both sides of Dixie Highway.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:25 PM

64 posts, read 67,568 times
Re the OP's original question - everyone here simply said use Realtor.com. But that seems weird to me to look for rentals. Is this truly the best way to find rentals in Miami? Aside from Craigslist are there any other options?

Also- if one uses a broker is there a fee and if so, who pays?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
Re the OP's original question - everyone here simply said use Realtor.com. But that seems weird to me to look for rentals. Is this truly the best way to find rentals in Miami? Aside from Craigslist are there any other options?

Also- if one uses a broker is there a fee and if so, who pays?
The landlord pays his/her (listing) broker. Usually 1 month worth. Of it it is a short term rental, then usually 5% of the rental period amount.

The listing broker usually shares 50% of that commission with the buyer's (tenant's) broker.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
The landlord pays his/her (listing) broker. Usually 1 month worth. Of it it is a short term rental, then usually 5% of the rental period amount.

The listing broker usually shares 50% of that commission with the buyer's (tenant's) broker.
And brokers are the only way to rent in Miami? I'm guessing this cost is passed directly on to renters making our rent higher

Old 03-05-2017, 06:08 AM

874 posts, read 899,259 times
Quote:
And brokers are the only way to rent in Miami? I'm guessing this cost is passed directly on to renters making our rent higher
No, of course there are landlords that rent directly to people as well. However it isn't easy to find them, and you run the risk of it simply being a scam.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
No, of course there are landlords that rent directly to people as well. However it isn't easy to find them, and you run the risk of it simply being a scam.
A scam? You mean someone opens an office in a building, shows me a pretend apartment in it, and then takes my money and security? C'mon.

Seems to me it's these middlemen (brokers) who are doing the scamming (or skimming) for rentals. In Los Angeles we renters go to buildings and someone who works for the landlord shows us the apt and leases it to us. No fees, no brokers required. You think all of Los Angeles is a big scam then I suppose?

Old 03-05-2017, 09:01 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
A scam? You mean someone opens an office in a building, shows me a pretend apartment in it, and then takes my money and security? C'mon.

Seems to me it's these middlemen (brokers) who are doing the scamming (or skimming) for rentals. In Los Angeles we renters go to buildings and someone who works for the landlord shows us the apt and leases it to us. No fees, no brokers required. You think all of Los Angeles is a big scam then I suppose?
I know someone who will rent you a farm in the Everglades. No realtor. True story.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:17 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
no, they pretend to be the owners and then take your deposit and never meet you when its time to move in. Or the previous tenant who still has a key pretends to rent it to several people and keeps a bunch of deposits and skips town.

Sorry, Real Estate Brokers aren't 'skimming'.

Glad that LA works for you, but Miami (like NYC) doesn't work that way.
Most owners aren't locals so they have no way of showing the apartment, don't want to deal with tenants directly, don't want to be bothered because they are busy at their jobs, etc. etc a variety of reasons why they hire a broker to rent the unit. The commissions aren't huge and the landlord eats the fee as the cost of doing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami