Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has there been a noticeable increase in traffic congestion in the past 2-3 years where you work and/
No, there has not been a noticeable increase. 1 7.14%
Yes, but only where I live. 0 0%
Yes, but only where I work. 1 7.14%
Yes--both where I live and where I work. 12 85.71%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 03:02 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,946,391 times

Advertisements

In the past 2 years or so, has traffic congestion noticeably increased where you live, work, or both?

I have a theory that when voters approved the Metrorail expansion is was because we were getting to the breaking point in terms of congestion. Then gas prices went up, then the financial crisis and the Great Recession gave us a temporary reprieve, but now we've back to near the breaking point. Any roadway improvements have been not enough for our population increase and densification, and of course we never saw the rail extensions. It will be interesting to see if we are headed for another push for transit expansion. I want to know if others have noticeably seen in increase in traffic over the past couple years, as I have unfortunately experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:46 PM

600 posts, read 755,298 times
Traffic has definitely gotten worse.

This can easily be mathematized:

Population increases + lack of available land for urban sprawl + lack of a proper expansion of mass transit = traffic!!!

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,749,704 times
Traffic has begun to increase for the commute times to work and other areas. We also noticed that it is a heck of a lot worse during the winter months since we have snow birds and Latin american coming here for school break.

Right after thanksgiving it is a nightmare!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,476,629 times
I think its a good sign that traffic is getting worse in some respect. When the economy took a dive, traffic got lighter, meaning people lost jobs. I would bet that many of these new drivers are people going back to work.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,946,391 times
^Indeed, having a bad economy is not the most desirable way to reduce traffic! Of course, whether those people are making enough to really afford the cross town commute cross town in a personal vehicle is another story...

Old 11-17-2013, 11:38 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,018,899 times
I agree with others traffic increase is a good thing for the economy. More people going out, more people working, shopping etc..

My biggest complaint though are the stop lights. Especially at three intersections. Biscayne Blvd and 36th and 38th street usued to never have traffic. I think the lights are timed poorly because once you pass that intersection there is no more traffic. A study should be done there.

Even worse is US-1 and SE 17th ave. There is always traffic before that intersection even in the morning going away from downtown there is more traffic going south than north which makes no sense. And magically after passing that intersection traffic disappears.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:10 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,065 times
WE NEED MASSIVE LIGHT RAIL EXPANSION!!!. they say they don't have money well then stop tearing up my perfectly good sidewalks just to put a new slab in when the old ones were just fine. Stop with the planting of all the invasive and unsustainable plants on the medians of roads and stop replanting perfectly healthy plants on the medians. Also stop with the endless construction on the 836,826, and 874!!!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:32 PM

^^^^^ this!!!! Please can we just revisit mass transit?!?

Old 11-19-2013, 04:38 PM

While I like the fact that traffic increase means more jobs, YEAH!!!!! I also know that our population has increase greatly and it is a burden of the citizen of this county! We are a growing major city and we have to think about it that way.. The problem is that we have extremely low wages and only service jobs so we will always be poor...and can't afford to make the magic city other then the ***** you visit in vegas.

Please , pretty please, can we have some moral character? Hell I would be a hell cat and fight tooth and nail for our folks but they would chew me out before I could even mention any of my intentions.

Sad!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
How did your meeting go Cubanchic? What did they say about the road construction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami