Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:43 AM

25 posts, read 38,863 times

Advertisements

it was actually , a great place when it opened right before the internet boom
that would eventually takeout virgin megastore...

between the virgin megastore , niketown , the movie theatre , the imax , the barnes and nobles ,
the vans store with the skate ramp and the johnny rockets....if you where a kid from 1999-2001 this place
was like a resort

but tapping into nostalgia gets you vacancy and its starting to head down
the same road the bakery centre traveled

niketown
urban outfitters
virgin megastore

which is pretty much an entire wing is vacant

they should turn that entire wing into a two story walmart/target or something
that would actually drive traffic...void parking for shoppers with receipts
from target/walmart...

maybe an applestore to get some of university of miami kids in there along with a few more
places to eat..

south miami isnt quite coral gables but it doesnt have to be that way

the other alternative would be knock it down and turn into a village like a smaller miracle mile
but for people who arent completely loaded , the ambiance amenities of coral gables for a more working
class citizen......what would you guy's do if you had any say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 AM

249 posts, read 419,963 times
Yes we need more Wal-Marts. Perhaps a two story CVS....

Old 11-09-2013, 12:40 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
I agree that Sunset place has not panned out great but I think it has helped the Downtown South Miami area. It actually has a decent restaurant and bar scene on the weekends.

What could be done to Sunset Place? I am not really sure. It is not really big enough to be a big mall like Dolphin or Aventura. Those malls are also driven a lot by tourist looking for cheaper goods to take home. Sunset place really should focus on University of Miami students. I would even look into asking UM to start a shuttle service to Sunset from the Western end of campus. Also the pedestrian bridge is badly needed to cross US-1. Where it is located college students need to be the focus.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:53 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
The problem is parking. Nobody wants the hassle of South Miami when they can just go to Dadeland. And the idiots who narrowed Sunset drive to 2 lanes did not help it either.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:24 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,901,478 times
I think Sunset Place could do with places that aren't anywhere else in Miami. Why go to a store/restaurant in Sunset Place if you can go to the Falls or Dadeland where you don't have the parking hassles? It's not like there's anything really nice to see there that would help to attract people.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:08 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
I preferred the area when it was Holsum Bakery!

Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I preferred the area when it was Holsum Bakery!
Very true! I loved riding with my parents down US-1 or when friends of the family would go to the bowling alley and you could smell the bread. US-1 also had beautiful hibiscus, palms and golden trumpet trees along the railroad tracks.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,826,108 times
I always felt that Sunset Place would eventually fail just like the Bakery Center. The only place that has always been a success has been the movie theatre. The main reason why I feel that the mall has failed is the parking. Why pay for parking and be in line for half an hour+ just to exit the garage. There are many other more convenient places with free parking to shop at.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:14 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Very true! I loved riding with my parents down US-1 or when friends of the family would go to the bowling alley and you could smell the bread. US-1 also had beautiful hibiscus, palms and golden trumpet trees along the railroad tracks.
I used to drive to work near there. The fragrance of baking bread wafted through the area on early summer mornings when the air was still and the humidity was high.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 PM

They also destroyed a cool mid century modern strip of shops when building the original bakery center. The Holsum outlet store was located next to them. You see time and again that high density shopping centers fail when in cities with parking meters. The Miracle Center, Bakery Center, Cocowalk, and the like. Customers don't want hassle. Free money printed by the Fed, and billions in laundered drug money come cheap, so there is no incentive to build something sensible, just build and destroy over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami