Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 01:04 PM

18 posts, read 25,733 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm 21 (student) and I'm going to miami and I'll be there for 6 months. I'll live in westwood (107ave / 40 st) and I'd like to know more about this place.

Is it a safe neighborhood?
Places near my house for fun?
Do I need a car to live there?

And other things you know and it's important for me. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 10:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
I grew up in that area. It's about as safe as anywhere in Miami. The area is ugly in some places, and there is property crime and a few murders, but it is actually safer than in the 80's when I was in high school. Your chances of being a victim are very, very low. If you are a student at FIU you could take the bus, but a car is so much better. If you go to MDC, the same bus goes that way but again, a car gives you more options. Fun is what you make it, there are not too many things in the area but a few parks and the fair/expo center. Mostly strip shopping centers and there is Bird Bowl, not much else. Again, most residents travel for fun so a car opens your options.

The history of the area starts in the early 1950's when tropical estates was built, followed by Westwood Lakes. Mackle homes built most of the area as boxy homes starting at 5,000.00 In 1973 the Turnpike extension was finished, which since the 2000's has caused Bird Road to be like a parking lot from 107 ave to 117 ave at rush hour and some weekends. In the late 70's Cubans started moving in and flooded the area in the 1980's which explains the unsightly architecture. The drug trade was the main source of crime during that period. Before the invasion of Mariel there were mostly working class non-hispanic and some Cubans from 1960. I used to walk to Cypress elementary and cross the Miller Road canal, in the mid to late 70's and nobody ever thought it was unsafe. Westwood lakes actually goes from Bird Road to Miller, and is between 107 and 117 ave. The lakes are some of the few that actually allowed boating and connect to the local canals.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
I lived right next to it on 102 ave and 46 street from 92 till march of this year. It is working class to lower middle class. Pretty safe area although heavy Hispanic and a bit hectic hence why we moved out of the area. You will need a car to get around easily, but there are plenty of bus lines on 107th, miller and bird road.

If you are in that area, there are a few local places, like Sculley's on sunset and 99 ave( it was featured in diners, drive ins and dives) the best wings ever would be in the original sports grill on sunset and a bit closer to 102 ave.

It is a very residential area , but to get to places like the beach, or clubs you will need a car. If you are going to be at FIU they may have more information about ride share for weekends trips to south beach.

Earlier in the 80's drug crime was more prevalent but then again it was the cocaine cowboy days when even grandmas sold cocaines. Having lived there for over twenty years the crime has gone down quite a bit and often would leave my door unlocked on my block if I was home. I found it very safe in the last ten years although the area is changing because seems like invitation homes has gobbled up all foreclosures in that area and turning them in rentals.

Any other questions, ask away since I still visit the area at least twice or more a week since parents and oldest son still live there.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:02 PM

Thanks for both answers!!

I was looking at google maps and there is a bus stop in front of my house and it's "easy" to get to coral gables. I have some friends there. Is it safe to take a bus at night? 9-10pm? The bus works until 10pm or more?

You said it has many hispanic, but people there speaks only spanish in markets, stores and etc? I'm afraid of that..

I'll probably rent a car some weekends, but not every weekend. You know, I live in brasil and it's one of the worst public transportation in the world. You must have a car here in my city. By car I take 15 minutes to my university here. By bus it's 70-90 minutes and I have to take 2 bus.

Thanks a lot!

Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
Young folks like yourself will speak English, and most folks in that area, both publix one on miller and 93 and the bird and 112 have folks that speak English although the older ones speak broken English. Hubby lived in that area with me and he got along just fine with just a tiny bit of conversational Spanish and he is from the Midwest.

Most Cubans that are the dominate folks in that area are either really old, 70's or like myself 30 to 55 and we grew up in America and for the most part we assimilated so you would be pretty surprised to hear
what appears to but a white non Hispanic person speak Spanish when around family or acquaintances.

Lucky for you that buses run frequently during the week days and I do think the buses run at least to ten, later not so much.

You will be fine, just look to as an adventure....me and hubby had a three week medical stay in the Chec Republic and in a little town called Zlin where only about only 15 percent of the people spoke English and we managed. In the end we made friends learned enough Chec to get by with and enjoyed a culture totally different then anything we knew. That was three weeks only, in six months it will add to your life experience.

Last edited by Cubanchic; 12-27-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Young folks like yourself will speak English, and most folks in that area, both publix one on miller and 93 and the bird and 112 have folks that speak English although the older ones speak broken English. Hubby lived in that area with me and he got along just fine with just a tiny bit of conversational Spanish and he is from the Midwest.

Most Cubans that are the dominate folks in that area are either really old, 70's or like myself 30 to 55 and we grew up in America and for the most part we assimilated so you would be pretty surprised to hear
what appears to but a white non Hispanic person speak Spanish when around family or acquaintances.

Lucky for you that buses run frequently during the week days and I do think the buses run at least to ten, later not so much.

You will be fine, just look to as an adventure....me and hubby had a three week medical stay in the Chec Republic and in a little town called Zlin where only about only 15 percent of the people spoke English and we managed. In the end we made friends learned enough Chec to get by with and enjoyed a culture totally different then anything we knew. That was three weeks only, in six months it will add to your life experience.
Thank you very much! If i have any more question, I'll come back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami