Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 04:20 PM

10 posts, read 23,567 times

Advertisements

Man, another reason to move....jet skis! Dare I say....year round?

The last few times I was on a jet ski it was a workout. I had to stand up to keep from killing my back on the waves and my legs were done after 3 hours. Too much fun! I'm on a crotch rocket and I'm strongly considering a Harley, but I can definitely come up with a reason to buy a jet ski down there!

Thanks again, for the info on which areas have good schools. We know where to focus our living situation while still considering private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM

10 posts, read 23,567 times
Valicky - during the "riding season" up here I ride just about every weekend. If the rides are that boring or it becomes too dangerous then I'll get rid of the bike. But, I imagine it's probably just as dangerous there as here. Riding a sport bike in flowing traffic seams to attract people who want to prove something as well as those who are careless. I've have had my share of close calls this past summer and it has taught me how to be more aware as a rider and never lose focus. I've seen people do some crazy things when bikes are around...with kids in the car at that. Funny that it is safer to ride in a group than solo, but in a group is when we attract the most dangerous drivers trying to prove something.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:02 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I would never ride a street bike, when in Miami I always drive a vehicle with 8 cylinders weighing at least 5000 pounds with reinforced bumpers. Now a dirt bike is a different story. Atc's, quads, 6 wheelers but all off road. Miami drivers are like those in any third world city, the rule of the jungle seems to apply there.
That sounds like a FANTASTIC idea!!!!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Btw HUGE mud girl here, had a Honda three wheeler up to my second son.... Way back when the end of Kendal was 137th on bird. HA! I AM old! Have a sudo third child that has a ATV and I taught all the mud routes in extreme Doral and north Krome.

Now I humbly ask him "can Mommy borrow your ATV for the Cutler Bay golf cart parade?!" I loved our off the road ATVs back in the day when Miami wasn't as developed as it was....still know some hidden spots as in the case of the practice airport, and the owl crap pit...grey limestone mud that is super slick and a fav with ATV racers.

About the only bikes I would want around here now.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:56 AM

107 posts, read 164,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space age View Post
I just discovered this forum this past Thanksgiving weekend while looking for the pros and cons of living in south Florida. I read about both ends of the spectrum when it comes to the good and bad of living in this part of the state.

Despite all of the negatives I've read, I still want to move there.

Originally from the mid-west, I've been living in ATL for 19 1/2 years and it still doesn't feel like home. It's just where I live, so because of that I'm ready to pack the family up and move south, way south.

Why I want to move:

- I want the tropical weather, scenery, vibe, and palm trees. That relaxes me.

- We (my family) love going to the beach; we go every year. Budget wise I hope I can get us a place no more than a 20 minute drive to a beach. So even when we get tired of going once/month and only go twice a year, it's only 20 minutes away instead of 6 hours. Unless I can afford to get us close enough to have a view...that'll be sweet.

- I'm betting (and all of this is a gamble) that because we're interested in so. Florida we'll find more to do.

- But just in case I don't find more to do there than here, I'm bringing my hobbies with me. I see the SCCA has a chapter down there I can join and you guys have the Homestead track so I can take my son to see some races.

- The various festivals and events yearly should keep us interested.

- I have a friend down there who charters a boat and goes fishing (it seems like) every other week. Talk about fresh fish. I can't wait, but I'll have to use the beer fund money to fish so this will be a toss up if it happens to often.

- Riding season is year round.

These are a some of my reasons. Anybody else contemplating this same move? Have you thought about what you'll do when you get there and why?

Don't even think about moving there ~ Do you want to be swallowed up by a Reticulated Python on the loose and your hands amputated by a Tegue Lizard? You might want to stay where you're at or move to Orlando ~

Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Bear View Post
Don't even think about moving there ~ Do you want to be swallowed up by a Reticulated Python on the loose and your hands amputated by a Tegue Lizard? You might want to stay where you're at or move to Orlando ~
It's called Tegu

Old 12-18-2013, 11:53 AM

107 posts, read 164,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
It's called Tegu

Have you seen those nasty lizards?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 3,741 times
Default Florida is the best place. Take it from a floridan

I was born up north originally but raised in South Florida so I am a Floridian and I'm not one of those up north people that just moved to florida. No sir I am completely a hundred percent floridian. A lot of people talk down on florida but really its one of the best places to live in the south. It is the most mellow and multicultural of the south as well. I'm 24 yrs. Old I've been all over the south. Georgia. Carolinas. I've seen it all on the east coast. I've been up north in Pennsylvania. As a true floridian I got homesick and wanted to go back to florida each time. For one I am accustomed to the humidity and hot weather. I love florida winters becuase it ain't too cold its like 50 degrees. And for one its always sunny. I enjoy the storms and hurricanes. I'm also into nature and living in florida I'm always around it. People always confuse retired new Yorkers and northerners as the real Floridians. Thats why they think floridians are rude and have no hospitality and manners, but true floridians such as myself have hospitality and take kindly to company. If you want traditional south north florida is the place to be. If you want more tropical and more cultural surroundings then south florida is the place to be. Florida ain't entirely flat. South florida and central florida is but as soon as you go to north florida towards the panhandle it gets slightly but not dramatically hilly. I live in the tri county metropolitan Miami area so I've been around palm beach broward and miami Dade. Plenty to do. I'm an aggressive inline skater so I'm always at the skatepark. We got a lot of recreational parks. And if you like any type of sport florida has it. My brother skim boards at the beach. There's surfing and skimming too, more skimming since florida waves ain't too big to surf but there's still surfers. You see a lot of surfing in august becuase of hurricane season. Not only that but florida's economy is also boosting. New laws are being passed and soon marijuana will be decriminalize making florida probably one and the only state in the south to have medical marijuana. Like I said I'm a true floridian. Been here all my life . I've seen most of what florida has to offer and yet to explore more. This place also has a lot of my family and friends. I love the women and the variety of women florida has. Only other place i'd try out is california but honestly I'm a florida boy I love it here. Its a paradise

Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 AM

35 posts, read 76,035 times
Gosh...all the negativity makes Florida sound horrible. We are seriously considering a move from PA to FL. Mostly for quality of life. Here is very cold...I mean freezing, everything is dead, no greenery, ice & snow suck...I'm just tired of it. I love the beach, warm sun, palm trees. Having said that...any advice on living on the west coast of FL, or is that mostly 100 year olds? I've heard a lot of good about Naples & Sarasota. Can find decent schools there too. Any & all ideas/suggestions welcome...negative or positive. Thanks!!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:34 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Naples and Sarasota each have their own boards. You'll have better luck posting this there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami