Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 06:00 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Except that nowadays suburbs are built up as townhouse communities and condos, so the traffic congestion is the same or worse than downtown, and you can't walk, bike, or ride transit anywhere to avoid the traffic. Also nowadays younger people are willing to live with roommates (often the same or cheaper than their own place in the suburbs!) just to be able to live in those "popup" condos. And also gas and car repairs used to be much easier on the wallet. Nowadays suburbs are not nearly as much "the better life" as they were 50 years ago. One major thing keeping suburbs popular with families is the better public schools, which are not as relevant for young professionals. Nowadays many people prefer to live close to things, meaning things are "piled up" in cities. Where I work every year we get coworkers moving closer in to the city because they're simply fed up with the traffic. Perhaps suburbs became too popular for their own good?
Yep, more and more people are moving back to the core of major cities. People want to be able to walk to things, their tired of traffic and having things so far from them. Many cities like Miami are being revitalized and attracting people back to downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Funny thing is that when I moved to a rural area I eliminated the traffic hassles. I can walk to my garden, a friend's home and what is too far to walk to I can hop on a 4 wheeler or 6 wheeler and take a short cut across the canal. Every time I have to come to Miami it's a traffic nightmare and going downtown is the pits. Agreed the new developments are crammed full of crap to make up for the overpriced land speculation. When I drive to Miami I go down US-27 to Krome, and once I get to 8 st or Kendall it is a short distance before I hit the wasteland of zero-lot line suburbia. Yet if you continue to go east and hit the older areas like horse country, it is an oasis in a sea of trash. Nothing built since the 1980's has any real value but is pure garbage. Thankfully it will change when the current bubble FIRE economy blows itself up.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Tallrick, you eliminated the traffic hassles because you are either retired or work from home. You do not have to commute to work everyday like most people. I do agree that zero lot neighborhoods are a wasteland and sadly that is all that is being built nowadays. I don't understand why people buy them, developers have it so easy. It seems like in other places new home buyers are a little more knowledgeable and demanding. We complain about zero lot neighborhoods and the people that buy them, What do you think about the people that buy overpriced condos with no land of their own.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Tallrick, you eliminated the traffic hassles because you are either retired or work from home. You do not have to commute to work everyday like most people. I do agree that zero lot neighborhoods are a wasteland and sadly that is all that is being built nowadays. I don't understand why people buy them, developers have it so easy. It seems like in other places new home buyers are a little more knowledgeable and demanding. We complain about zero lot neighborhoods and the people that buy them, What do you think about the people that buy overpriced condos with no land of their own.
Well I can thank Bitcoin for helping me financially. The farm I am trying to expand is a work in progress with a steep learning curve. I think that people who waste their hard earned money on condos or zero lot homes are deceived, and making a terrible investment. Those who use someone else's money have nothing to lose. I am happy that the usual waves of foreign investors are lining up to be financially raped, they deserve to lose money. Commuting itself is stupid, in the 21st century jobs should not be centralized but distributed all over the nation. Instead of wasting money on condo towers and shopping centers that will go the way of the Omni the money should be spent on nuclear power plants and nationwide fiber optic to every home.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Well I can thank Bitcoin for helping me financially. The farm I am trying to expand is a work in progress with a steep learning curve. I think that people who waste their hard earned money on condos or zero lot homes are deceived, and making a terrible investment. Those who use someone else's money have nothing to lose. I am happy that the usual waves of foreign investors are lining up to be financially raped, they deserve to lose money. Commuting itself is stupid, in the 21st century jobs should not be centralized but distributed all over the nation. Instead of wasting money on condo towers and shopping centers that will go the way of the Omni the money should be spent on nuclear power plants and nationwide fiber optic to every home.
Some folks like us deal international and have to be close to where the action is. back in Asia I didnt have a car and used public transportation a lot. Being car free was awesome. Wish miami had excellent transportation like NYC. Plus we have one powerplant already in Homestead im sure nobody wants another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami