Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 01:46 PM

30 posts, read 99,219 times

Advertisements

I tried doing a search for this, but couldnt find a consise answer to my question.

I am trying to wrap my head around property taxes and insurance in Miami (southern Florida in general I guess.) Say I buy a house for $350K in Miami somewhere. What does the average property tax and insurance (including Hurricane insurance) look like. I have heard horror stories about how the insurance is as much, if not more than the taxes.

Can someone shed some light?

Regards
-I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,775 times
I sold my home in '06 for $390k (unicorporated PBC), my last insurance bill was $5k w/ $15k deductible and 0 claims. Basically I paid all hurricane repairs out of pocket. My taxes were only $2500 but new owners were expected to pay about $$6k-$7k. I would easily estimate a minimum of $1000 month property taxes and insurance. It's a scary though seeing $350k doesn't buy much anymore.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,299,663 times
As a rule of thumb, you can calculate your annual property tax at 2% of your purchase price.

So $350k purchase price, around $7k per year in property taxes. If you qualify for the homestead act, the increase in your assessed value is capped at 3% per year, so, assuming millage rates remain the same, your property tax cannot increase more than 3% per year.

As a very rough rule of thumb, HOI can also be estimated at 2% of the value of the property, so another $7k for a total of $14k a rule in property taxes and HOI.

Of course, the 2% estimate for HOI can vary widely depending on any number of factors.

Does upwards of around $14k per year for property taxes and HOI sound outrageous to you?

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 99,219 times
Definately sounds outrageous... even for Jersey standards....

Old 11-26-2007, 02:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
A $350k home that qualifies for Homestead exception will pay around $6,500 in taxes. If you don't qualify for homestead exception it will be around $7,000. The best way to figure it out is its 2% of the sale of your place. And If you qualify for Homestead exception you get 25k off the sale price, and then 2% of that number is your tax cost.

As far as Hurricane insurance, I can't give you a good answer. We got dropped last year from our company (never files a claim) and so had the only resort of going to Citizens (state run insurance) as it was the only one availble in our area. We are 8 miles inland and our HOI insurance is double ($4,600) our taxes. And don't forget car insurance its higher down here to than other parts of the state of Florida.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:21 PM

22 posts, read 121,376 times
Somehow this doesn't make sense to me & I am confused. You mean that an average homeowner has to pay 1)mortgage, 2) taxes & 3) a home owners insurance that costs about $7,000 a year??? All this in a state where the wages are low? How are people making ends meet? This can't be right.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl25 View Post
Somehow this doesn't make sense to me & I am confused. You mean that an average homeowner has to pay 1)mortgage, 2) taxes & 3) a home owners insurance that costs about $7,000 a year??? All this in a state where the wages are low? How are people making ends meet? This can't be right.
I have been trying to figure this out myself. This was not as bad 7 years ago, but in today's world it's a fact for most who purchased a home in the last 4 years. I don't think income matters anymore in south Florida, money just magically appears!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,717 times
Quote:
How are people making ends meet?
Unfortunately, many aren't. You can find them posting on the Tennessee and North Carolina threads; they've either gotten out or plan to soon. Anyone who bought a home here, in, say, 2004 has had to deal with very high taxes and windstorm insurance premiums that have doubled, tripled or quadrupled overnight, and a typical 3 percent annual raise isn't going to keep up with that.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:51 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Those that bought before the boom are making it because their mortgage and taxes are lower because they bought when it was half the price than todays price. Those that bought during the boom/today are the ones that are taking the hit. As they are paying double or triple the taxes than their neighbor that bought before the boom. Their morgage is higher because they payed double or triple what their neighbor payed a few years earlier for the same house. Many people that would like to downsize or upsize to a large home in the area can't because they will get hit with higher rates either way (even if you downsize your rates will be higher if you bought before the boom). This is my parents problem, they want to downsize, but if they do their taxes will double. So they are either just staying where they are or they are moving out of the state. Now home owners insurance, most everyone in South Florida is paying a high preminum.

Quote:

Old 11-27-2007, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 42,485 times
I bought my house for around 350 and didn't homestead year 1 - did it right after they raised me to 450 on my assesment value for taxes. I pay roughy 10k a year in taxes and 10k in insurance all in. Plus Mortgage. I'm on a 20 year fixed so my monthly costs are roughly 3,700 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: