Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:05 AM

97 posts, read 140,941 times

Advertisements

After living four years in a huge, amazing major city (Lima), I just can't stand living in the suburbs anymore where a car is needed. So, I was wondering if its possible to live, obviously work and play too, anywhere in the Miami area, this of course means Palm Beach, Broward and Dade. If you could be as detailed as possible I would love it and highly appreciate it. Including things like cost of living, for example.

I assume there are more areas in Miami since, FINALLY, its becoming more urban and city like. I know the Beach is super urban for the most part but its too touristy for my taste, unless there are non touristy areas idk about.

I saw the neighborhood, Coral Way in Miami, and it seemed to be urban, have a lot of businesses, near Downtown and I think even mixed use. Can anyone confirm?

Please; and thank you!

Oh, and if you're going to be a negative nancy or try to bad talk anything just for the point of bad talking and not to help the topic then please don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
the areas that you would survive without a car is Downtown Miami, Brickell, and Miami Beach. How much are gonna spending living expense wise? renting? buying a place?

Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
no /thread

Old 12-21-2013, 02:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
It is possible, but it will take some effort and sacrifice, and you'd want to live as close to work as possible, and limit your job search to the convenient bus lines and Metrorail as much as possible. If your job is not in walking distance, expect to spend at least 45 minutes to over an hour commuting by bus and/or train. Biking may be another option depending on the distance and if there are shower/changing facilities at work. Some employers will unfortunately insist that you have "reliable transportation" (translation: a personal vehicle) even though they're located where busses are frequent or walking distance from Metrorail, and they're not paying enough for employees to properly maintain a vehicle...this is more the case on the mainland as so many people on the Beach do take the bus or bike to work.

For more local places on the Beach with everything you need in walking distance or a short bus ride, check out North Beach, Normandy Island, and Surfside. On the mainland, besides downtown Miami and Brickell, I have known people who get along without a car in the following neighborhoods: Dadeland, downtown South Miami, Coconut Grove, downtown Coral Gables and North Ponce in Coral Gables, the Roads (including Coral Way), east Little Havana, Wynwood/Midtown/Design District, upper east side (Biscayne corridor), Sans Souci in North Miami, "City Center" and Eastern Shores neighborhoods of North Miami Beach, parts of Aventura along US1.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:37 PM

97 posts, read 140,941 times
I'm looking to live as low priced as possible.

I plan on having a car but just for those times I want to travel to the areas where a car is needed to visit family in the suburbs, and a few other reasons.

But would like to do most things without the need of a car, go to work, school, grocery shopping, play, a few examples, seeing plays in theaters, movies and parks.

I have no problem living in a studio or efficiency apartment, as long as its as low priced as possible.

Ghettoes or crime infested areas are a no no. And by that, I mean actual ghettoes or crime infested areas, not what the super crazy call ghettoes and such like Coral Springs LOL.

As long as the area is decent, people are decent, safe and such.

Is $500 for rent doable?

Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM

249 posts, read 419,705 times
$500 rent is doable in Overtown and if all the residents constantly walking around is any indication, it is quite the walkable neighborhood... you just have to worry about ending up on The First 48...

Old 12-21-2013, 06:28 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
No count on at least 600 rent but all inclusive. I have clients in Lima and it is relative depending on the area. The real slums in Lima are cardboard shacks, that you will not find here.

In regard to living transit wise look into downtown, little Havana, cheap! But for a Hispanic not bad. Close to metro rail.

I am a blonde, fair skinned Cuban woman and I can hold my own in Miami. It is mostly my gumpisn and the fact that this loud ass Cuban American woman doesn't settle for less...even with my own folks!

I other words you DO NOT want to be working at Walmart and not speak English!

Old 12-21-2013, 08:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
I lived near Coral Way & SW 37 Avenue ( Douglas Road ) in a efficiency. Coral Way was only 2 blocks away and I was able to walk to stores, restaurants, parks ,etc. and the transit was relatively good with buses & Metrorail was about 1 mile south of me. I paid about $500 a month but this was back in the late 1990's so I have no clue what rental prices are now.
Over all the area was nice & safe and Coral Gables was right across the street as well. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
$500 will be virtually impossible in safe, non-car dependent neighbourhoods, even with a roommate. $800 would be doable but still tough without a roommate. $1k starts to open up many more options.

More specifically, I currently pay just under $1k/1br in a relatively walkable part of Aventura with decent bus service. The going rate in the complex is $950, but it is probably the cheapest non-55+ complex in Aventura. Over in North Miami Beach (separate city from Miami Beach) near the intersection of NE 163rd and West Dixie Highway there are lots of places ranging from $750-$900/1 br, in sketchier parts of NMB, by the Walmart (but still not a ghetto), I've seen as low as $650 advertised and $800 might get you 2 br. In North Beach (Miami Beach) I still sometimes see $900/1 br advertised, though I'm not sure how legitimate these are ("that particular apartment has been rented, but...").

If I were you, I'd try to get the cheapest studio (or roommate situation if you want) possible in Miami Beach, which has the best bus service, and do away with the car entirely, put that extra money towards your rent. A rental agency can help you find the absolute cheapest, it might be a hotel-sized room for $750. When you need a car to see family, there is car share on the Beach (Zipcar and Car2Co), you can rent a car by the hour including the gas and insurance, and not need to worry about parking. The cheapest place won't include parking anyway.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,145,436 times
Anyone that says no is lying. It is completely possible. I would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami