Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 PM

224 posts, read 321,612 times

Advertisements

brickell hands down. two seconds to little habana, much more excitement, not being stuck on a ****ty little faux island, etc.

plus the crowd/people in general trumps north beach any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM

227 posts, read 438,026 times
North Beach is the best place to live in all South Florida for not rich people.

Greetings.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 AM

663 posts, read 503,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post

Greetings.
Really? What's the zip code you have in mind?

It couldn't possibly be 33141...

Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMatthews View Post

Greetings.
North Beach is actually one of the few places in South Florida that is very walkable, has decent public transportation, AND has moderately affordable housing options (which does attract some riff raff, but still nothing like west of US1 or Liberty City). Not to mention being walking distance to the beach! While there are other neighbourhoods I would choose over North Beach, even the parts of NoBe with the Section 8 complexes are by no means a ghetto, and of course, the ocean front is very nice.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
North Beach is actually one of the few places in South Florida that is very walkable, has decent public transportation, AND has moderately affordable housing options (which does attract some riff raff, but still nothing like west of US1 or Liberty City). Not to mention being walking distance to the beach! While there are other neighbourhoods I would choose over North Beach, even the parts of NoBe with the Section 8 complexes are by no means a ghetto, and of course, the ocean front is very nice.
Terribly depressing, overwhelming corruption disguised as landscaping, dog crap and cat crap, massive litter, low life junkies, petty thieves, no ramp to launch a canoe into the bay, no place to ride a bicycle, traffic gone wild, no outdoor cafes (such as Starbucks). No Starbucks no community!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise TibetanMonkey View Post
Terribly depressing, overwhelming corruption disguised as landscaping, dog crap and cat crap, massive litter, low life junkies, petty thieves, no ramp to launch a canoe into the bay, no place to ride a bicycle, traffic gone wild, no outdoor cafes (such as Starbucks). No Starbucks no community!
You obviously have no f'n idea WTH you're talking about. For one thing, there are outdoor cafes, all up and down Collins Ave. from 65th to 75th. Another indication of how even more ridiculously you're out of touch with North Beach is the fact that there is a paved bike path along the beachfront from Allison Park at 64th up to North Shore Open Space Park at 79th. There are skateboarders, bicyclists, and others utilizing this beautiful paved path morning, noon and night. Moreover, a bike path is scheduled to be constructed heading south from 64th to connect with the boardwalk a couple of miles south.

The rest of your rant is too idiotic to comment on.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You obviously have no f'n idea WTH you're talking about. For one thing, there are outdoor cafes, all up and down Collins Ave. from 65th to 75th. Another indication of how even more ridiculously you're out of touch with North Beach is the fact that there is a paved bike path along the beachfront from Allison Park at 64th up to North Shore Open Space Park at 79th. There are skateboarders, bicyclists, and others utilizing this beautiful paved path morning, noon and night. Moreover, a bike path is scheduled to be constructed heading south from 64th to connect with the boardwalk a couple of miles south.

The rest of your rant is too idiotic to comment on.
I've been preparing for that connection with South Beach for over 5 years. I don't believe it anymore. I'm told the people from Millionaires Row oppose it. The width of beach at 53st is rather narrow, so it may be quite a squeeze to make it happen. At the same time, compounding the situation, they are talking about demolishing the boardwalk, which is rather stupid. I think they already did that at the northern end of it.

The path from 65st to 79st is too short to ride a bike (it takes 5 minutes) and it's rather unsafe to mix bikes, dogs and people. At 79st they laid a carpet several years ago and never bothered to connect it with cement with the park next door. At 65st there's a monument to the turtles but not a single bench to sit down and relax. They engraved the street numbers at intersections, but forgot to provide access ramps, such as at 69st and 71st. The lighting at night is too blinding, causing you to miss pedestrians. And to top it off some rough guys/petty thieves are always hanging out between 75st and 79st. Quite simply this makes room for people that walk dogs, who often complain about fast moving bikes. This area is home to thousands of feral cats that litter everything and chase away any other form of life --including the hatching turtles. Are there really hatching turtles, or are the turtle monuments really a monument to corruption?

What you describe as cafes are rather fancy restaurants, not at all like Starbucks. You need big bucks for these.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,786 times
You know we are screwed up as a society when someone says that we need to have a Starbucks in order to have a community. That clearly shows you how little substance and creativity revolves around our lives. At least he didn't say that we need a Walgreens at every corner in order for us to have a community.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
You know we are screwed up as a society when someone says that we need to have a Starbucks in order to have a community. That clearly shows you how little substance and creativity revolves around our lives. At least he didn't say that we need a Walgreens at every corner in order for us to have a community.
How about Einstein Brothers or Panera? They are equally good. Or it could be the independent cafes, but I wanted a name people relate to. How about Manolo? A few Argentinos sit out there (Collins and 73st) to tell stories.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:30 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
I've been preparing for that connection with South Beach for over 5 years. I don't believe it anymore. I'm told the people from Millionaires Row oppose it. The width of beach at 53st is rather narrow, so it may be quite a squeeze to make it happen. At the same time, compounding the situation, they are talking about demolishing the boardwalk, which is rather stupid. I think they already did that at the northern end of it.
A new contract was let not long ago and the design phase is scheduled to be completed next February. Construction is scheduled to begin in May 2015 and will be done in three phases. Phase I will be from 53rd to 58th St; Phase II will go from 53rd to the 47th; and, Phase III from 58th to the current end of the paved area at 64th.

Quote:
What you describe as cafes are rather fancy restaurants, not at all like Starbucks. You need big bucks for these.
So on one hand North beach is a depressing slum, but on the other hand all the cafes are too fancy and expensive. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Quote:
How about Einstein Brothers or Panera? They are equally good. Or it could be the independent cafes, but I wanted a name people relate to. How about Manolo? A few Argentinos sit out there (Collins and 73st) to tell stories.
Most of the cafes are independent. There's even a new coffee bar with outdoor seating that opened up about a month or so ago called....wait for it...... Coffee Bar.

Speaking of coffee, my wife and I stopped into Sazon's separate little outdoor cafe while we were walking on the paved path along the beach. It's basically a walk-up window with a covered patio and a few tables and is located across the street from the bandshell and park. They serve various coffee drinks and appetizers and is a little social gathering area. They even have a couple of beers on the menu. Much better than having another generic SBUX open up here. Our total bill came to around $5 for the two of us. Yeah, reeeeeaaaal expensive.

I don't even know why I'm wasting my time responding to your nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami