Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times

Advertisements

Miami is dc lite; the same nonchalant, dgaf attitude. Woe be unto them.

It's nothing like nyc whatsoever. Miami is still a very beautiful, warm
place on the surface tho, but what's within is another story. If that
offends anyone, they're not paying much attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Miami is dc lite; the same nonchalant, dgaf attitude. Woe be unto them.

It's nothing like nyc whatsoever. Miami is still a very beautiful, warm
place on the surface tho, but what's within is another story. If that
offends anyone, they're not paying much attention.
Really? I have met people from DC who absolutely hate Florida. I have noticed that laid back attitude of people from DC though. Very easy going.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Really? I have met people from DC who absolutely hate Florida. I have noticed that laid back attitude of people from DC though. Very easy going.
I'm not even sure if people from DC would like to know that Miami is considered DC Lite. The people of DC might even take offense to that.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm a single guy that lived and worked in Miami for a year and have returned back to NYC. I was making a nice 6 digit salary that went really far in the local economy, but I still didn't like it. Since I moved away from Miami, so many people have asked me why I didn't like it. Here's the reasons why:

6.5) I never saw a single car pulled over for speeding or other traffic violation the entire time I was there! I guess its supposed to be a self-policing state? Drivers were ultra aggressive since they could be with no fear from cops! (Inland Miami)
This is too funny. I see police stopping people all the time, and get stopped myself at least once a year. Only in Miami-Dade county though. I was only stopped once when I lived in Key Largo by the donut patrol and that was because he probably was on his ticket quota and needed to write someone up for a scratched windshield. I have been stopped at least 30 times in the Miami area by metro, or the donut patrol (FHP). Once I had the bomb squad called because my wood powered truck was smoking a bit while parked at the south Dade justice center getting a ticket dismissed.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post

Of course there are exceptions. It's just my opinion that miami and dc have that nonchalant thing in common. DC is just much more severe with it, but miami/dade is much bigger, so there's more of it, even tho it is less intense.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:14 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Of course there are exceptions. It's just my opinion that miami and dc have that nonchalant thing in common. DC is just much more severe with it, but miami/dade is much bigger, so there's more of it, even tho it is less intense.
Interesting. You from DC originally? I like that city a lot, expensive as heck though.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:49 AM

^ Nah. I'm from Nyc. I am familiar with DC tho.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM

132 posts, read 496,148 times
Wow! I wasn't expecting so many replies back. I was living in Kendall (close to the zoo) which was a terrible neighborhood. Unfortunately, that's where my job was. I spent every weekend at my friend's condo on south beach, so I certainly got a fill of South Beach. Like I mentioned, people are usually somewhat cool and patient on South Beach. But those people disappear in inland Miami, where a lot of people are incredibly rude, drive like maniacs, and have the maturity of a 10 year old. It's also 5-10 degrees hotter inland.

I did meet some cool people that I still keep in touch with, but a lot of the transplants that I met ended up moving away again. I met a lot of guys and girls at meetups. Most of the guys I met moved away elsewhere and most of the girls ended up staying. I can understand why, since women get *A LOT* of attention in Miami. I even knew a 250lb girl that got hit on every night she was out. A girl like that wouldn't even get a 2nd glance in NY.

I did end up figuring out the dating scene. It's basically a sugar-daddy culture. That's why tourists and new arrivals get so much attention there. The women will assume you are rich foreign traveler and they will gravitate towards you. But once you live in Miami for a period of time, women seem to smell that on you and avoid you like the plague. Unless you're dropping $2k a night on bottles at the club, women's eyes will skip over you for someone who just landed.

Anyways, I ended up moving out WEST and I love it out here. I've been here over a year and I will never leave. It's true that you have to find a place that matches you. You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find that prince (queue up the homophobic comments). I do miss Miami's beautiful beaches and I did make some close friends there that still text me from time to time. There is an air of excitement about Miami that I miss.

Last edited by gilwood; 04-25-2014 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
'

You sound like a weakling.
Hey, guy didn't like Miami! Seriously I'm picturing a pasty thin white guy.....he never mentioned anything outdoors (fishing, diving, etc.) so I'm guessing waiting to use the pull up bars on Ocean Drive wasn't happening either!

I would say a huge turnoff to me in Miami is the mix between the Kardashian wannabe culture and the Scarface imitators! Everyone is playing like they are rich with no means of employment, plenty of "$5" millionaires, renting everything and trying to live the life. Wealth is math folks, if you are a bartender making $1,000 a week....great but let's not try to be the 5th or 6th Kardashian sister and spend everything only to end up with nothing at the end of the month!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
This is too funny. I see police stopping people all the time, and get stopped myself at least once a year. Only in Miami-Dade county though. I was only stopped once when I lived in Key Largo by the donut patrol and that was because he probably was on his ticket quota and needed to write someone up for a scratched windshield. I have been stopped at least 30 times in the Miami area by metro, or the donut patrol (FHP). Once I had the bomb squad called because my wood powered truck was smoking a bit while parked at the south Dade justice center getting a ticket dismissed.
Traffic has never been a priority in Dade county! As long as you aren't shooting guns or throwing beer bottles out the window you will rarely get pulled over in Dade County. They love the HOV enforcement at commute times, easy tickets with very little danger since traffic is usually crawling!

I got pulled over ONCE in my years of attending UM. Running well over 120 mph with a 911 Turbo, FHP got us from 4 exits back (took him 4 exits to catch up to us). Lights came on, I pulled over and the other guy took off. Cop thanked me for stopping, looked at my paperwork and said "slow it down" and left!

It was 11 pm+ and I wasn't drinking so it wasn't like the guy in the Lamborghini that crashed at 120 last week! Driver of Lamborghini in fatal crash on MacArthur Causeway in Miami Beach is charged - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Guy rear ended a Suburban, the SUV ended up losing all its wheels and looked like it was dropped off a tall building! Lambo lost it's front end/roof and killed a passenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami