Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:21 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times

Advertisements

Ha... the way you guys put it is funny... but true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:11 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Just another term to justify the overinflated real estate prices. I guess it is more exciting than things like Lemon City. Unfortunately anyone investing in this area will find it like Carol City in the future when the poor areas come back.
Yep. Midtown is another example of an invented name in the past few years.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:52 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Yep. Midtown is another example of an invented name in the past few years.
i liked when it said reminds of NYC SoHo district i laughed so hard.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:47 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
this is interesting though

Upper Eastside Rising

Old 04-06-2014, 08:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Generally, neighborhood names change when they are trying to market it to a new demographic. For example, lets say they turn overtown around. To be specific, that part of overtown that is just north of Downtown. They can't keep the name "overtown" if they want a new demographic to move in, because of the stigma of the name "overtown". 1. people are superficial and wouldn't want to tell people "yeah, I'm in overtown now", and second you would have yuppies afraid that the scary black man may eat his children and enslave his wife. Sooooo you change the name to some new thing that doesn't carry all the baggage. They do the same crap in NYC. For instance, Bedford Stuyvesant is now called "Stuyvesant Heights" lol.

I do agree that they should try and choose names that are more reflective of Miami, instead of trying to copy NYC. Its like the whole "park west" designation for part of downtown. West of WHAT park? I guess the Museum Park? It is hardly significant enough to warrant such a name. Now, if they build a huge Central park like deal in the middle of downtown somewhere, then ok, I can swallow a park west, east, south and north designation. But now, i don't think so.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM

233 posts, read 344,763 times
That makes sense. It just seems a tad forced...

Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
It is more of a yuppie crowd in the UES. The hipsters are on the Beach and some of them in the Grove and Wynwood, not in the Midtown development itself, though.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
They do the same crap in NYC. For instance, Bedford Stuyvesant is now called "Stuyvesant Heights" lol.
Actually, Stuyvesant Heights only refers to a specific section of Bed-Stuy (the area around Stuyvesant Avenue), and has actually been the historical name for that section. It's just that the historical name has been making a comeback to make the neighborhood sound more fashionable. (It's the same with areas like Woodstock in the South Bronx)

But believe me, some of the names these realtors come up with are much more ridiculous than Stuyvesant Heights. Try BoCoCa, DUMBO, RAMBO, and ProCro. And of course, there's people who expand the boundaries of desirable neighborhoods to cover less desirable ones (e.g. Looking for Williamsburg and ending up in Bushwick, though nowadays, Bushwick is becoming "hip" too)

Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, Stuyvesant Heights only refers to a specific section of Bed-Stuy (the area around Stuyvesant Avenue), and has actually been the historical name for that section. It's just that the historical name has been making a comeback to make the neighborhood sound more fashionable. (It's the same with areas like Woodstock in the South Bronx)

But believe me, some of the names these realtors come up with are much more ridiculous than Stuyvesant Heights. Try BoCoCa, DUMBO, RAMBO, and ProCro. And of course, there's people who expand the boundaries of desirable neighborhoods to cover less desirable ones (e.g. Looking for Williamsburg and ending up in Bushwick, though nowadays, Bushwick is becoming "hip" too)
I am from BK originally. Never heard the name Stuyvesant Heights until a few years ago. Also, just a few months ago, i heard someone refer to all of the Stuy as Stuvesant Heights. They were not native to Brooklyn, but they were transplants. My understanding from one of my cousins, who still lives in Bk is, they are trying to fashion all of bed stuy as Stuyvesant Heights now.

I never heard of Woodstock before, is that referring to Mott Haven? They have to call that place something else. Someone from the city would NEVER think about living there in their right mind. I saw a brownstone over there for cheap a few years back, but again, who wants to live there. I have not been to Mott Haven in YEARS, and what I remember was nothing I ever really want to see again, so I don't plan to return. They would have to change the name and some how transfer EVERYTHING about that place lol.

As for Dumbo, im 40, not sure how old you are. But as long as I knew that area, it was known as that. Maybe it was called something else back in the days? I don't know. That is one my favorite areas by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: