Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 PM

515 posts, read 624,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Namaste, the better parts of Fort Lauderdale, two minutes to the beaches, downtown, Las Olas, etc are going to be Rio Vista, Colee Hammock, Victoria Park, and Lauderdale Harbours.

Pretty much anywhere between 17th Street and Sunrise (North of Sunrise is a very nice gayborhood, Wilton Manors) from Federal Highway to the beach.

Sailboat Bend and Himmarshee are outside that boundary but still very nice.

These are older neighborhoods with very pretty older houses or rehabbed, or tear downs that have been replaced by 5000 sfua of house.

Of course you can also find a 25 million dollar house on the water in this area.
All excellent neighborhoods that you would probably find at the top of your list since you are somewhat wary of the gates in the suburbs. I have friends in Victoria Park and on the water in Rio Vista (1.3MM in 2013 and probably on the low end as mentioned above).

If you can find a home for you there you may have a real good reason for heading south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
All excellent neighborhoods that you would probably find at the top of your list since you are somewhat wary of the gates in the suburbs. I have friends in Victoria Park and on the water in Rio Vista (1.3MM in 2013 and probably on the low end as mentioned above).

If you can find a home for you there you may have a real good reason for heading south.
I do have a girlfriend that rents a 3/2 in Rio Vista for $1900 a month but it does not have central AC. She uses three window units.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:30 PM

515 posts, read 624,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I do have a girlfriend that rents a 3/2 in Rio Vista for $1900 a month but it does not have central AC. She uses three window units.
Bingo.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste88 View Post
Interesting, I did not realize until now how suburban Weston was... food for thought for sure.

I like the idea of the Latin flair (I speak fluent Spanish) and I love the thought of living in a community with great people/neighbors. Not too sure how I feel about being in a very suburban community. However, after reading the info on the Weston city website, it is still at the top of my list. Just hope there are a sufficient amount of choices outside gated communities….

"With a culturally diverse population, Weston is comprised of the finest residential neighborhoods, and a diverse corporate, commercial and retail environment. We are a safe community with A-rated public schools, superior parks and recreational facilities, a progressive government that is financially strong and a community-wide appearance that cities around the world wish to emulate."

We were originally looking for a town that was not too suburban or isolated, and that was progressive, inclusive, closer to having a more "city like" vibe.

I noticed when checking out places that we would definitely get more for our money in Pines.

Still considering Pines, whatever the nice part of F Lauderdale may be, and West Miramar if possible. Especially since the job offer I have yet to accept is in the Miramar area.

We are looking to move the first week of July or last week of June, given that I was told school starts in August.

Any idea how far in advance a rental can be held with a deposit? I know some places allow for this type of arrangement unless the rentals are very sought after…

We are in our mid 30s and early 40's, our twins are 11 and would like to have the opportunity to socialize other families. Since I've read/heard that some places in FL tend to have a larger retired/older population without kids, I'd like to khow if any of these areas are like that?

Some food for thought - when renting in a townhome/condo complex (and sometimes in a single family development), it could take up to 1 month for the property management company to approve your application.

The rental market is pretty active, I haven't seen hold deposits being used. You pretty much sign a memorandum to enter into a lease and submit it with a check for the first month (1/2 month to the listing broker and 1/2 month to your broker).
You also send in an approval application to the property management company with a fee for background screening.
Based on the memorandum to enter into a lease, the landlord and you execute the lease contract.
One the move in date (if approved by the property management), you bring a check for last month and security deposit.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM

19 posts, read 26,021 times
So far everyone's been incredibly helpful. We've made much progress in the span of 1 day! Our area is narrowed down to the Broward County and the places I previously listed. Weston and Pines are looking like #s 1&2 so far. Such a strong recommendation for cooper city by Acast and I am now researching that area.

Good Schools, Safety, affordability, and proximity to work are priority, in particular since for the first several months it will be my kids and myself while my husband stays behind for work. I wish I could send you all a thank you basket with a personal note, especially since I have tons of more questions on the relocating process.

Ruski, thank you for that very important piece of information. School ends at the end of June here in Jersey, and I was planning on moving down first week of July. I guess I would have to find a place and start the rental process in June?? I would like to be able and register the kids for the beginning of school (which I believe is August in FL?)

Also are there 1 family homes in this area that are for rent, not including town homes that are attached? (just wondering) Is everything in Weston gated? My husband and I have been discussing this process ind depth and we came to the conclusion that our budget must be at least 2000. That's on the high end and we would love to find something for much less.

My husband was browsing the internet and found a place with a 3 bedroom condo for 1500 in Pembroke Pines, called Arcston Pembroke Land?? Any thoughts?

Wish I would of thought to consult this amazing forum prior to my trip in April, would of been much better prepared to drive through the different areas.

Next step is finding the right place within these areas, choosing a school, and searching for work for my husband and possibly myself if I don't take the offer.

Excuse my ignorance.. but being that Weston and Pines seem to be in close proximity to the everglades, what are the chances I will ever run into an alligator? (just curious)

Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM

No, no need to worry about gator encounters.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 PM

19 posts, read 26,021 times
I found several places on rent.com that seem like places my family and I could comfortably live in. If anyone has any info on these places I would appreciate it. They are in order from Weston, to Pembroke Pines, to cooper City. I found affordable places in Miramar, but could not distinguish which ones were on the west side, and so I skipped them. If anyone knows which ones on Rent.com are on the West side of Miramar, I'd love to know so that I can check them out as well.

#1 San Michele - St. Tropez Circle | Weston, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#2 Weston Place - South Post Road | Weston, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#3 St. Andrews At Weston - Bonaventure Boulevard | Weston, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#4 Modera Pembroke Pines - SW 7 Street | Pembroke Pines, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#5 Windsor Pines - Nw 130 Avenue | Pembroke Pines, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#6 The Lakes At Pembroke - Sheridan Street | Pembroke Pines, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com® ***

#7 Jefferson Monterra - Solano Ave | Cooper City, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 PM

103 posts, read 129,056 times
Quote:
I found several places on rent.com that seem like places my family and I could comfortably live in. If anyone has any info on these places I would appreciate it. They are in order from Weston, to Pembroke Pines, to cooper City. I found affordable places in Miramar, but could not distinguish which ones were on the west side, and so I skipped them. If anyone knows which ones on Rent.com are on the West side of Miramar, I'd love to know so that I can check them out as well.

#3 St. Andrews At Weston - Bonaventure Boulevard | Weston, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#4 Modera Pembroke Pines - SW 7 Street | Pembroke Pines, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#5 Windsor Pines - Nw 130 Avenue | Pembroke Pines, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

#6 The Lakes At Pembroke - Sheridan Street | Pembroke Pines, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com® ***

#7 Jefferson Monterra - Solano Ave | Cooper City, FL Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

My family and I rented in Windsor Pines when we lived in Pines. It is directly across the street from Walter C. Young Middle School and walking distance to Charles W. Flanagan High School. I attended both, and they are very diverse schools (not sure what they are like now) but note that Flanagan has a block system, meaning 4 classes per semester and 8 for the year, and I really didn't enjoy the teachers at the school. Feel free to do a bit more research on the current school ratings. I enjoyed Windsor Pines-- it was an average rental community and the amenities were okay. There are lots of houses in that area if you wanted to opt for that instead, but most are gated. Windsor Pines is also near to CB Smith Park, Pembroke Pines Mall and Memorial West Hospital.

In regards to the Weston apartments, I prefer the location of Weston Place and San Michele to St. Andrews, but all three are good options. And no need to worry about gators

Most communities in Weston, Pines, and Miramar are gated, and I think it's a good thing. Have you checked www.condos.com? It's a great resource for finding townhouses, single family homes, and condos for rent. Try searching for zip codes 33027, 33028, and 33029 for West Miramar and Pines.

Last edited by Passion Fruit; 05-08-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:

IMO Weston Place and San Andrews are better than San Michele. Although San Michele units have garages while the other two only have open parking lots. And San Michele is literally smack in the middle of Weston, next to the Town Center.

St Andrews has the easiest access to the I-75 highway. The surrounding area around St Andrews is actually Bonaventure. Bonaventure used to be its own city and eventually it got taken over by Weston and brought up to Weston standards. Most homes in Bonaventure are not gated. But older.

We actually lived in San Michele back in 2000 for six months while our house was being built in Savanna. It was fine back then.

In recent years, however, it seems there is something off about San Michele. Hard to put my finger on it.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM

32 posts, read 52,322 times
Quote:
Also are there 1 family homes in this area that are for rent, not including town homes that are attached? (just wondering) Is everything in Weston gated? My husband and I have been discussing this process ind depth and we came to the conclusion that our budget must be at least 2000. That's on the high end and we would love to find something for much less.
Unfortunately, $2,000/month will not get you a single family 3-bd home in the areas you want (Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines/Miramar - west of I-75) But if you are considering apartment communities, wouldn't a nice spacious townhouse be a better compromise? <---(and that) you definitely can find

Not everything in Weston is gated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami