Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM

353 posts, read 814,394 times

Advertisements

I repeat no real jobs,with or without degrees the pay is sad and surreal.....please think long and hard about your decision you may end up wanting to drown yourself in south beach or offing yourself period being you cannot support your family for what they pay you here...please take my advise this is no joke its a warning.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:07 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
I repeat no real jobs,with or without degrees the pay is sad and surreal.....please think long and hard about your decision you may end up wanting to drown yourself in south beach or offing yourself period being you cannot support your family for what they pay you here...please take my advise this is no joke its a warning.....

Hey we want them as tourist, not residing here, whats wrong with you.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
no doubt. tell them again. it's not as sweet as it looks. real talk.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:19 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
I don't wanna be disrespectful or negative, but the only thing that comes to mind is, "You can't fix stupid." If people are dumb enough to move to a new city or new state without even having a job first, they're not likely to listen to your warning (or even do the research first to find it here).

For years we have people posting to C-D about their intent to move to FL, with the same story - no job, no plan, just want to see palm trees and some beach (like they think somehow they're going to lay in a hammock for the rest of life and money will just fall out of the sky - somehow life in FL is not like life in every other state in the country, suddenly there are no bills or daily hassles to deal with). It's always the same, everyone warns them and gives them the negatives, and they get offended and say "I'm comin' anyway!" A few years later they're posting new threads about how FL sucks, there're no jobs, the COL is too high (because apparently one has no choice in how much they spend - if they don't have it they just spend it anyway), no one should move here, they can't wait to get enough money to move out and leave this hellhole behind...

It would be funny, if it weren't so frustrating and sad. I wish they all could be combined into one thread - Why you're Moving to FL, And Why you will Leave Within 5 years Cursing It. I suspect though that these type of people have the same problem throughout life - they don't plan or research any of their major decisions, and it is always everybody else's fault when things don't go well. It's clear that many have an attitude or are rude from their posts, but then they complain that everyone is rude in the area or doesn't want to date/befriend them. Then they write a bunch of insulting comments that say more about them than it does about the population they're commenting on. And again they get defensive when all the posts to the thread try to give suggestions about how to make it better or what good they might have missed noticing.

Life is hard everywhere, if you thought it was going to be handed to you on a platter just because you think you're a nice person or got a degree, that's a good part of why you're miserable. Don't expect so much, just be grateful to breathe in, and breathe out. I'm grateful at least I'm in a country that is not war-torn, life is hard but at least I don't have bombs dropping on my head at the same time. That may sound dramatic, but it's true, it's perspective. We have a lot of opportunities here, even though they may not be as good as they could be. The question is: What are you doing to help make this city/state a better place? Don't just keep asking what's in it for you.

Again, sorry to be negative because I don't like to be, but reading C-D too much can make one feel that way. Everybody has bad days, but the people who have it the worst are usually the people who complain half as much as everybody else, because they know what real suffering is and are grateful for the things that are going right.

I might just suggest to the OP (and I don't know if you're from Miami warning people, or one of those transplants who came here without a job), even if you're kidding, that the thing that was most out of whack about the Depression in the '30s was that many men killed themselves for real when they lost their jobs and savings. They should have kept perspective - money comes and goes, but at least they HAD families. Instead, they just gave their families a far worse grief to deal with (and funeral to pay for), which in the end was way more selfish. What's worse than losing your house? - How about losing your dad or your spouse. Stick by your loved ones, and work together to make a better plan for next time. And don't muck up the beach with all your drowned selves, and kill the only good economy we have - tourism! lol

In the end, it's just money. And it's not like any city is booming with work right now. But securing a job BEFORE you move (or quit your other job) is just too much to ask of some people apparently. ...Why post a thread to warn people who don't think before they act anyway?

The warnings are futile, haven't you read these threads? "They're coming anyway!"
Blame the tourism industry, that makes it look like beaches are a place to go to leave all your worries behind... even though hot climates by the water have some of the poorest and highest-suffering nations on Earth. It doesn't matter, because the postcard said it was fabulous here!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
I guess the short version of what I'm saying is, everything in life is a trade-off.
*If you don't do any planning before you move, you don't hurt your head thinking too hard and stressing beforehand, but you may end up broke.
*You don't have to live in SFL if you don't like it, but as much as it may be difficult to earn a good living, at least you don't have to buy a winter coat!
Every choice has a good, and a bad.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:46 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
I guess the short version of what I'm saying is, everything in life is a trade-off.
*If you don't do any planning before you move, you don't hurt your head thinking too hard and stressing beforehand, but you may end up broke.
*You don't have to live in SFL if you don't like it, but as much as it may be difficult to earn a good living, at least you don't have to buy a winter coat!
Every choice has a good, and a bad.
Everything you've said is absolutely true. But the general principle applies anywhere, it's just the scenery that changes.

I suspect that there are elements here that just plain like keeping a "Why I love to hate Florida" thread going, just for their own entertainment, to see how many reactions they get. Wouldn't surprise me if the OP were one of those.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:58 PM

131 posts, read 323,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
considering florida's one of the fastest growing states (we'll be overtaking new york this year for third largest in the country), we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation and businesses keep flocking here, i'm fairly confident the issue isn't us.

peoples' problems tend to follow them wherever they go. if you sucked somewhere else, you'll probably suck here too. if you were doing ok in la/ny/sf you'll be a rockstar in florida.

for example, i don't like los angeles. there are far better places to live in the world. my life there wasn't bad, i made a killing in the commercial real estate game, started my telecom venture, etc. i've also lived in some ****-poor countries as well, learned something from each one of them and enjoyed a ridiculously high standard of living.

to blame your woes on the locale is pathetic.

from an objective perspective, florida's much like california back in the 1960s, 1990s, or 19th century during the gold rush. there's a tremendous amount of opportunity here at the moment for the right kind of person, the stats/figures/data speak for themselves.
I would like to know where you are getting this information, because it sure isn't accurate.

Florida is one of the worst states ever to a decent job. The people flocking here are internationals from other countries with their own money. And businesses are just tripping all over themselves to establish themselves in Miami? Get real.

I'm of the opinion that it is bad everywhere, but Miami is particularly bad when it comes to being gainfully employed and being able to afford the basics with the rising rents/real estate and the outrageous costs of everything else.

Old 05-25-2014, 03:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loops778 View Post
I would like to know where you are getting this information, because it sure isn't accurate.

Florida is one of the worst states ever to a decent job. The people flocking here are internationals from other countries with their own money. And businesses are just tripping all over themselves to establish themselves in Miami? Get real.

I'm of the opinion that it is bad everywhere, but Miami is particularly bad when it comes to being gainfully employed and being able to afford the basics with the rising rents/real estate and the outrageous costs of everything else.
According to BLS.gov, the unemployment in Florida as of April 2014 is 6.2. As of March 2014, the unemployment rate for the Miami MSA is 6.5. For the United States, its 6.8. I'd say that Florida is probably in the middle, maybe slightly below average, when it comes to unemployment.

But most of the Florida metros also have below average household incomes. Florida doesn't attract as many professionals compared to other states. Many of the new jobs here aren't what people might consider "good". But a lot of people who come here for cheaper lifestyles aren't probably looking for some high-end job. They just want something that can help them get by a little.

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm
http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM

131 posts, read 323,535 times
I'd rather the situation be where you can get a job that actually meets your living expenses, but that is just me.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
the amount of corporations and individuals relocating to s. florida is astounding:

‘Wall St.’ flees NY for tax-free Fla. | New York Post

America

Hertz Relocates To Florida, Signals The Sunshine State Is Open For Business - Forbes

just look at the sheer number of people moving into town. we bring a ton of $$$ which means more opportunities for everyone.

would you rather the situation be like los angeles, where people show up to collect welfare?
Sorry to sink your ship, but...

2012 percentage of people with Food Stamp/SNAMP benefits:

Los Angeles MSA - 8.0%
Miami MSA - 17.5%

From 2012 ACS/Census via American Factfinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami