Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:07 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I don't care if you don't like my comments. I'm calling it how I see it. Miami would be better if they stopped all the BS and let them come over through the normal way. Plenty of other communist countries and the US gives them a hard time to come over, for some strange reason Cuba is ok. You can always go back.

Poblado is in Medellin and of course Colombians live there. Smdh. Cities in the coast of Colombia are more touristy. There are plenty of poor places in Colombia, Centro and Bello come to mind so I don't know where you are going with less Cubans here if they had a Poblado. Maybe if the US went in and destroyed that island like they did in the Middle East there would be less Cubans here. The US says it wants people in other countries to be "free"(free means special interests to the US). No Oil or pretty much anything in Cuba so that is probably the reason why it never happened.

Do you think the people that are fleeing that oppressive regime care about the whys and hows of America's politics? They just want out and to be able to live a half decent life. It should be easier for a communist citizen to be here than for someone who lives in a free country, even if it's poor. The point I was trying to make that went completely over your head was if Cuba had "Brickell" type areas for the actual Cubans vs. for just the tourists, you wouldn't have to suffer with being around so many of those "uncultured" folks. Whatever the politics are that made the U.S. decide not to bother with Cuba - doesn't mean squat to the people there. The fact is that it sucks there and people will risk dying to get out. They are exiles, not immigrants. There's a difference.

Have you ever talked to a Cuban about the hows and whys of leaving their country? And then compared it to a Colombian's reasons? Might be a good idea. Yes, this country has immigration issues and Miami shouldn't have to shoulder so much of the responsibilities of these problems, but let's not blame the victims and say they don't deserve to be here as much as someone else because they don't have as much culture. Seriously? Pathetic, heartless and harsh.

And please refrain from telling someone to "go back." I'm an American, born right here! Go back to where??

I highly recommend the book Take Me With You by Carlos Frias to anyone interested in learning more about the real Cuba.
Take Me with You: A Secret Search for Family in a Forbidden Cuba: Carlos Frias: 9781416559528: Amazon.com: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 04:24 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Do you think the people that are fleeing that oppressive regime care about the whys and hows of America's politics? They just want out and to be able to live a half decent life. It should be easier for a communist citizen to be here than for someone who lives in a free country, even if it's poor. The point I was trying to make that went completely over your head was if Cuba had "Brickell" type areas for the actual Cubans vs. for just the tourists, you wouldn't have to suffer with being around so many of those "uncultured" folks. Whatever the politics are that made the U.S. decide not to bother with Cuba - doesn't mean squat to the people there. The fact is that it sucks there and people will risk dying to get out. They are exiles, not immigrants. There's a difference.

Have you ever talked to a Cuban about the hows and whys of leaving their country? And then compared it to a Colombian's reasons? Might be a good idea. Yes, this country has immigration issues and Miami shouldn't have to shoulder so much of the responsibilities of these problems, but let's not blame the victims and say they don't deserve to be here as much as someone else because they don't have as much culture. Seriously? Pathetic, heartless and harsh.

And please refrain from telling someone to "go back." I'm an American, born right here! Go back to where??

I highly recommend the book Take Me With You by Carlos Frias to anyone interested in learning more about the real Cuba.
Take Me with You: A Secret Search for Family in a Forbidden Cuba: Carlos Frias: 9781416559528: Amazon.com: Books
The thing is I don't care about Cuba and their problems. It's not right how America lets them in without a problem and not other countries where the people would make this place more productive. Nothing was gained out of letting so many in. Just a non English speaking city with self entitled refs who have the nerve to be racist against other cultures.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
The thing is I don't care about Cuba and their problems. It's not right how America lets them in without a problem and not other countries where the people would make this place more productive. Nothing was gained out of letting so many in. Just a non English speaking city with self entitled refs who have the nerve to be racist against other cultures.
Okay, so it's a little subtle, but try to figure it out.

From the 1950s to now, Florida has become the number three state in the Union (or tied for three), and Cuba hasn't.

Florida probably needs around another 20-40 years to mature as a state, maybe a bit more.

The US will probably remain closed to Cuba for another 20-40 years, maybe a bit more.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Nothing was gained? You don't get out much, do you?

Can't argue with comments that are so racist, close-minded, biased and downright false. I always marvel when people complain about a certain people being racist against others while they themselves are doing the same thing and I guess, they're too dense to see it.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Nothing was gained? You don't get out much, do you?

Can't argue with comments that are so racist, close-minded, biased and downright false. I always marvel when people complain about a certain people being racist against others while they themselves are doing the same thing and I guess, they're too dense to see it.
I think that pertains to you. Cuba to Miami without much travel experience. Please enlighten me. What was gained? South Beach and some downtown were built through the drug cartel money. Coral Gables and Star Island was built from out of towners. Ok. Thank you for Hialeah, Lil Havanna, bad coffee, broken Spanish, and hairy women.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 AM

106 posts, read 174,235 times
Quote:
Yes, because in communist Cuba - culture abounds. What a callous comment. The people who come from Cuba are coming here for entirely different reasons than Colombians. Can only tourists visit Poblado? Or do Colombians live there? Where is the "Poblado" in Cuba? Maybe there would be less Cubans here if they could live in "Poblado" type places. Sometimes the comments here are mind-boggling.

And Costa Ricans. Why would you run into many of them here?
Exactly !

and lol yeah those countries have a very superior HDI.

Quote:
I don't care if you don't like my comments. I'm calling it how I see it. Miami would be better if they stopped all the BS and let them come over through the normal way. Plenty of other communist countries and the US gives them a hard time to come over, for some strange reason Cuba is ok. You can always go back.

Poblado is in Medellin and of course Colombians live there. Smdh. Cities in the coast of Colombia are more touristy. There are plenty of poor places in Colombia, Centro and Bello come to mind so I don't know where you are going with less Cubans here if they had a Poblado. Maybe if the US went in and destroyed that island like they did in the Middle East there would be less Cubans here. The US says it wants people in other countries to be "free"(free means special interests to the US). No Oil or pretty much anything in Cuba so that is probably the reason why it never happened.

Quote:
Quote:
I think that pertains to you. Cuba to Miami without much travel experience. Please enlighten me. What was gained? South Beach and some downtown were built through the drug cartel money. Coral Gables and Star Island was built from out of towners. Ok. Thank you for Hialeah, Lil Havanna, bad coffee, broken Spanish, and hairy women.

Dude chill out you sound extremely ignorant and arrogant. Cubans have their bad apples, but heck, they're happy and cheerful people, I like them a lot. I haven't had the same experience with Colombians or other South Americans, rather plenty! of the opposite.

I have yet seen a single US city with a good amount Colombians as successful and still growing as Miami. The largest ethnic group is Cuban (I'm Dominican as it's clear), we're 1/10 of a million in Miami (Allapattah near downtown being our stronghold with various businesses and developments)..while Cubans are spread out are around 1.2 million (combined with Broward county). They have flocked to this nation because back at home they were and still are suffering from this criminal and inhumane regime of the Castros!.. I live with Cubans, and they tell me the horrid stories, living conditions there, it's sad I almost cry... They came with almost nothing back in the 50..60..70's till this day, and look at how they have helped built Miami-Dade and beyond. No contributions? .. Look at companies all around, many owned by Cubans, ex. El Dorado Furniture, plenty of Hialeah's and south Miami retailers, and industrial areas, Sedanos supermarkets and much more.. all Cuban owned.. Many managers, politicians and intelligent Cubans run this place, and they have done a decent job for just being here for less then a century!..

Now to prevent any significant deviations from the main topic.. We're all American no matter what, we have all put a grain a salt in this society that's a melting pot. This is what makes America what it is.

Miami wouldn't be what is it today without Cuban contribution. Period!.

Colombians have a lot of smart business and hard working people, but never as significant as Cuban contribution. But most are just here to benefit from some benefits they have a hard time getting back home in Colombia, have homes, send their kids to school, and that's just about it.

(Not to deviate too much) we all put a grain of salt into this American society.

Last edited by MiamiDominican92; 10-03-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiDominican92 View Post
Exactly !

and lol yeah those countries have a very superior HDI.

Dude chill out you sound extremely ignorant and arrogant. Cubans have their bad apples, but heck, they're happy and cheerful people, I like them a lot. I haven't had the same experience with Colombians or other South Americans, rather plenty! of the opposite.

I have yet seen a single US city with a good amount Colombians as successful and still growing as Miami. The largest ethnic group is Cuban (I'm Dominican as it's clear), we're 1/10 of a million in Miami (Allapattah near downtown being our stronghold with various businesses and developments)..while Cubans are spread out are around 1.2 million (combined with Broward county). They have flocked to this nation because back at home they were and still are suffering from this criminal and inhumane regime of the Castros!.. I live with Cubans, and they tell me the horrid stories, living conditions there, it's sad I almost cry... They came with almost nothing back in the 50..60..70's till this day, and look at how they have helped built Miami-Dade and beyond. No contributions? .. Look at companies all around, many owned by Cubans, ex. El Dorado Furniture, plenty of Hialeah's and south Miami retailers, and industrial areas, Sedanos supermarkets and much more.. all Cuban owned.. Many managers, politicians and intelligent Cubans run this place, and they have done a decent job for just being here for less then a century!..

Miami wouldn't be what is it today without Cuban contribution. Period!.

Colombians have a lot of smart business and hard working people, but never as significant as Cuban contribution. But most are just here to benefit from some benefits they have a hard time getting back home in Colombia, have homes, send their kids to school, and that's just about it.

My question is who can't do this if you are GIVEN a city. The US gave them free education, business grants, among other benefits that US citizens couldn't get. It's a shame. Sorry butt when everybody looks at Miami, those are not things they are looking at.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
My question is who can't do this if you are GIVEN a city. The US gave them free education, business grants, among other benefits that US citizens couldn't get. It's a shame.
No is not buddy!

They needed the help, most came with nothing. The only ones who had some decent amount of money were the first elites that fled from the regime when they were ousted. Grants, education are all needed as a start up for these refugees. A very important rule, always provide for those who have more needs, this balances conditions/ quality of living, as well as local economy.

Quote:

Sorry butt when everybody looks at Miami, those are not things they are looking at.
Because of the lack of education, the lack of knowledge in history.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
And let's not forget that Miami is nothing without South Beach. Tourists come here to visit SOUTH BEACH not Miami.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
And let's not forget that Miami is nothing without South Beach. Tourists come here to visit SOUTH BEACH not Miami.
You must be kidding e right?

I live in Miami Dade county, Miami Beach, and I can tell you it's more then South Beach. Well I can't blame you, after all that's all you get fed from the mainstream media, creating this stereotype that Miami is just South Beach. We got many other economic engines, such as Downtown area (Financial and Entertainment districts), its highly important port of Miami, its suburbs bring in real estate money into the economy, as well as its shores, then we have the industrial centers, railroad system that link the north-east... So yeah we're just more then South Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami