Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times

Advertisements

Last edited by StarfishKey; 06-04-2014 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: problem with link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,898,550 times
It was more like this Golden Orb Spider

But with this coloring:

Whatever they are, there are a ton in Kendall...

Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times
I pay very close attention to the wildlife I encounter, so I've seen just about everything there is in South Florida. Some of the critters I've seen that haven't been mentioned yet:
Wood Storks- They're endangered, but fairly common in the Everglades. They sometimes make their way into the suburbs.
Swallow Tailed Kite- Don't know much about these, but they definitely stand out from other birds.
Eurasian Collared Dove- Larger than the common ground dove, they visit the bird seed I leave out for the ducks.
Anhinga- Another bird common to the Everglades who occasionally can be seen in the suburbs.
Little Grass Frog- The one's around my house are completely black. I've even found a couple of them inside my house.
Mediterranean Gecko- I have dozens of them around my house, they also occasionally find their way inside.
African Rainbow Lizard- Saw them at a garden place on Krome Ave. The owners said they arrived in a plant shipment and have established themselves in South Florida very well.
Burmese Python- I know they've been mentioned, but I've actually seen one. It was a young one, maybe 3-4 ft long. Saw him off of Card Sound road, the markings made him easy to identify.
Brown Snake- The one I saw was grey in color, which is a common varient. He had just shed his skin when I walked up on him and he took off and disappeared in seconds.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:05 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I pay very close attention to the wildlife I encounter, so I've seen just about everything there is in South Florida. Some of the critters I've seen that haven't been mentioned yet:
Wood Storks- They're endangered, but fairly common in the Everglades. They sometimes make their way into the suburbs.
Swallow Tailed Kite- Don't know much about these, but they definitely stand out from other birds.
Eurasian Collared Dove- Larger than the common ground dove, they visit the bird seed I leave out for the ducks.
Anhinga- Another bird common to the Everglades who occasionally can be seen in the suburbs.
Little Grass Frog- The one's around my house are completely black. I've even found a couple of them inside my house.
Mediterranean Gecko- I have dozens of them around my house, they also occasionally find their way inside.
African Rainbow Lizard- Saw them at a garden place on Krome Ave. The owners said they arrived in a plant shipment and have established themselves in South Florida very well.
Burmese Python- I know they've been mentioned, but I've actually seen one. It was a young one, maybe 3-4 ft long. Saw him off of Card Sound road, the markings made him easy to identify.
Brown Snake- The one I saw was grey in color, which is a common varient. He had just shed his skin when I walked up on him and he took off and disappeared in seconds.
Now THAT is scary.... While Card Sound Road is still fairly isolated, that's still a bit close to populated settlements IMO.... makes you wonder where else they are.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:45 PM

139 posts, read 277,844 times
I enjoy wildlife so I pay close attention to what I see around me. Some of the more notable sightings include the following, many of which aren't native:

-Gray Fox: in my neighborhood (seen multiple times including hunting in someone's front yard)
-Peacock: tons of them in my neighborhood
-Everglades Racer: gray snake, lots in my neighborhood, see them sunning all the time
-American Crocodile: Have seen them at both Crandon Park and Fairchild at one of the lakes (they are always close to salt water)
-Swallow-tailed Kite: Awesome bird of prey that eats snakes, Bird Rd. in Gables
-Blue and Yellow Macaw: Coral Gables
-Cottonmouth, Burmese Python, Coral Snake, Fence Lizard (which looks like a snake): SFWMD land just west of Richmond West neighborhood; White-tailed Deer in same area
-Marsh Rabbit: Key Biscayne
-Giant Ameiva and Green Iguana (large lizards): Key Biscayne
-Red-headed Agama (large lizard): Fairchild Tropical Gardens
-Five-lined Skink: Key Biscayne
-Basilisk (Jesus Christ lizard): Crandon Park
-Bull Shark: Miami Beach 15 feet off beach in swimming area first thing in morning, around 6-7 feet...scary

Old 09-07-2015, 05:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Where I lived in Coral Gables, we would mostly see opossums. Raccoons sometimes. Some of my favourite birds in the neighbourhood were mockingbirds and blue jays. I always would see this beautiful blue jay in my yard. Also, a bit regional to where I grew up, as in the specific neighbourhood, but we would see grasshoppers annually. In the spring they are hatch, and they have black bodies with yellow/orange bands. By summer they are fully grown and yellow. They leave by early fall. Also in late May and June you start seeing fireflies.

The critters I DIDN'T like were lizards, especially anoles. Also by my aunt's house in the West Flagler area, before reaching Little Havana, you would sometimes see owls. That was years ago though, idk how common owls are now in that area.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 AM

36 posts, read 35,050 times
I've never seen them, but I remember that there were armadillos. Whenever you saw one, you were supposed to call the cops. I remember, maybe it was an urban legend, that cops or people said they had leper...

I sae a bunch of walking owls, but that was in Boca, you had to take care of those critters because if you ever killed one, fine was 5.000 dollars or more.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:46 AM

36 posts, read 35,050 times
I've never seen them, but I remember that there were armadillos. Whenever you saw one, you were supposed to call the cops. I remember, maybe it was an urban legend, that cops or people said they had leper...

I saw a bunch of walking owls, but that was in Boca, you had to take care of those critters because if you ever killed one, fine was 5.000 dollars or more. Sharks, kids used to fish sharks in south Miami beach, when MB was a place inhabited mostly by seniors.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:28 PM

650 posts, read 1,630,559 times
Toucans, giant anteater with riched embarasment of lipstick palms, durians and mangosteens

Old 09-14-2015, 06:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
skeeters, lizards, roaches, gnats, flies, spiders, frogs, flesh eating zombies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami