Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM

415 posts, read 1,666,498 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon folks, I have a quick question. I am thinking of taking a transfer to our companies Miami office, but, I'm a little apprehensive. Can some locals out there tell me what they like about Miami. I am originally from the Philly area, but live in Boston now.

So where is a good place for a 26 yr old, single, straight, male to live. My salary would be roughly 90k/year, office is downtown, and I am looking to rent a one bedroom. I enjoy nice restaurants, bars, clubs, and coffee shops. I enjoy going to the beach, but not sure if i'm a "beach person". Is living downtown fun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:03 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
Good afternoon folks, I have a quick question. I am thinking of taking a transfer to our companies Miami office, but, I'm a little apprehensive. Can some locals out there tell me what they like about Miami. I am originally from the Philly area, but live in Boston now.

So where is a good place for a 26 yr old, single, straight, male to live. My salary would be roughly 90k/year, office is downtown, and I am looking to rent a one bedroom. I enjoy nice restaurants, bars, clubs, and coffee shops. I enjoy going to the beach, but not sure if i'm a "beach person". Is living downtown fun?

Best thing about Miami is tropical temperatures, however some people do not like humidity.

Well, being single and with your income, you could rent a high rise downtown with an ocean view. However, at first you should probably try South Beach (town of Miami Beach), just across the causeway to find out if you are a beach person and check out the action. You can always switch to downtown later if you get bored of the beach, the action, and the commute, though it is rather short.

Young, single, solid salary, job downtown, probably the best profile for recommending a move to Miami ... Miami Beach, downtown/Brickell.

Go for it!

Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
^^

what he said

Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM

142 posts, read 608,468 times
Miami beach is a fun place to live for 20 something singles. It's also a good time to purchase real estate because the market has been so bad over the past year. Great night life, beautuful women and the sun. Parking can be hard to find so look for someplace to live that has designated parking.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM

224 posts, read 1,001,800 times
rents are kind of cheap nowadays.. Check on craigslist for listings... Downtown is not ready for the big leagues yet... You could live in the Brickell area which is a good spot albeit maybe not for your age group because not alot to do.. If you are looking to get distracted for a while then live on the Beach (SoBe)... Cons are apts are small and expensive, traffic, noise and it's as shallow as you can get.. People will ask what car you drive and where you live... Be ready to invest in deodorant it is extremely humid pretty much all year round.. Today happens to be nice but you only get 10-20 days of really nice weather all year the rest is either hot as hell, raining or prepping for a hurricane.

You'll have fun for 2-3 years and then want to leave as most people do.

Good luck.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
Miami beach is where you want to be by what you said. But you should take a trip down and look around Miami is alot different from Boston. I like both cities but they have different things.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:12 PM

546 posts, read 2,148,006 times
This is the best place to be for a 26 year old single male. Stay either at the Beach (SOBE) as it's party central or downtown (Brickell area) as it is close to everything and there are some nightclubs/bars down there too. Coconut grove would be close to you as well.

The beach is always fun (IMO) so come down and check it out. Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times
C'mon down! Leave the shovel at home, you'll love it here!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:26 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,492 times
You'll love Miami! I recently moved here from the Chicago area and will never go back (even with how much I love Chicago). The beach is a fun area, but as a previous poster said, it's party-central. However, if you like restaurants, shopping, beaches, nightlife, and being able to walk to EVERYTHING, this is the place for you. The commute to downtown wouldn't be too bad (maybe 30 min). Brickell seems nice and would be close to your job. I've heard Mary Brickell Village is very lively and full of young professionals. Personally, however, I chose not to live in Brickell because most things were closed after 6pm (it's a business district) and I didn't want to be driving over to where the action was all the time. If this doesn't bother you though, I'd probably chose Brickell. You should be able to get a really nice place down there for your salary. Check out the Neo-Vertika (search for rentals on craigslist)--I almost rented there and it seemed great. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami