Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times

Advertisements

Stop and frisk was an important part of Bill Bratton's strategy of reducing crime in NYC. Of course there was CompStat and diversifying the ethnic breakup of NYPD, but if you ask most people they'd focus on the effect of stop and frisk. There have been countless threads about what exactly caused the crime drop, but as the title says I'm wondering if it would be effective if used in the City of Miami.

A lot of people are repulsed by the idea, pointing towards racism and the violation of personal liberty, but would it even make a real difference? I have read before that the tactic has been used in Miami Gardens and that it failed miserably. That doesn't really discourage me though, because if not accompanied by additional training and planning such a strategy would be doomed to fail.

What do you guys think? Would stop and frisk help reduce the city's crime rate or exacerbate racial and social tensions? I apologize for any procedural mistakes and if this question has been asked before, I'm new to this forum. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 PM

249 posts, read 419,963 times
It would certainly worsen any racial tensions, even though the demographics of MDPD are pretty good in representing races in Dade County. The issue IMO is that Miami police can be pretty darn corrupt. They werent investigated by the government for no reason. I've heard some awful stories concerning them and it seems when ever something bad is interracial it worsens tensions

I hear some stuff about Miami police targeting Black Miamians but honestly I've found that the police here are pretty equal about abusing people, I've had (hispanic) friends get beat up by hispanic cops but I would imagine if my friends were, say, black, and the hispanic officers did that, they would think racism, not knowing that they do the same to different races

I dont think crime is high enough in Miami to potentially sour race relations. I mean, NYPD is extremely diverse BUT theyre still very heavy handed and corrupt. So, crime is down but tension between police and the community, and also, racial tensions, are still high.

I'd just prefer more police presence and federal indictments to gangs, which we have been doing with great success since the late 90s. If you think crime is bad now, you shouldve seen Miami before street gangs were indicted and rough neighborhoods had greater policing.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:28 PM

249 posts, read 419,963 times
Haha... Guess what I found by coincidence on Yahoo!

Store owner installs surveillance cameras to spy on police - CNET

Miami Gardens store owner installing cameras to catch police doing the stop and frisk. This was on the Herald a while back. Store owner is a Venezuelan of Palestinian descent and his African-American employee got arrested/pulled over by police like 100+ times for trespassing... Even though he is an employee.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:14 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,409,107 times
Stop and frisk should be taken as an act of war on american soil and it should be open season on anyone who enacts or enforces it.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:02 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,188,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfern View Post
Stop and frisk was an important part of Bill Bratton's strategy of reducing crime in NYC. Of course there was CompStat and diversifying the ethnic breakup of NYPD, but if you ask most people they'd focus on the effect of stop and frisk. There have been countless threads about what exactly caused the crime drop, but as the title says I'm wondering if it would be effective if used in the City of Miami.

A lot of people are repulsed by the idea, pointing towards racism and the violation of personal liberty, but would it even make a real difference? I have read before that the tactic has been used in Miami Gardens and that it failed miserably. That doesn't really discourage me though, because if not accompanied by additional training and planning such a strategy would be doomed to fail.

What do you guys think? Would stop and frisk help reduce the city's crime rate or exacerbate racial and social tensions? I apologize for any procedural mistakes and if this question has been asked before, I'm new to this forum. Thank you.
No, no, no, you have it all wrong. The REAL crime drop came when the police instituted their "stop work" program in NY. A funny thing happened. Peace broke out among the population.

BTW, you can always tell the increase in criminality in the power structure (political, financial and police). They start spying on the population, accusing them of that which they are doing, shaking down, stoppin' and friskin', messing with the people, etc. It's a reflection of who and what they are. And the real fear is that the population might do to them what they do to the people.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,407,485 times
Stop and frisk did not reduce crime in nyc. Leaving people alone reduces crime.

What's wrong with you?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,899,145 times
Some 80% of NYers are against stop and frisk, and it was a huge part of the reason locals had more and more anger toward the police force that is aiding the current wave of crime against police officers in NYC. Stop and Frisk accomplished nothing at all but to increase suspicion and tension in the city, and eventually help erupt all out violence against the police force. That is why it was stopped, because it was proven to be a useless program that was purely a guise to vent racism at random subjects, 90% of whom were proven innocent. It did not stop crime whatsoever, it instead cost a ton in lost productivity of law-abiding citizens, and in justified lawsuits against the city. And now in added protections needed for police who are genuinely trying to do their job, but who have lost the trust of the citizens for years of unprovoked brutal misconduct against the law-abiding. It was a huge mistake, and was admitted to be so by the current administration.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:37 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Stop and Frisk breaks the law, but I guess that does not matter to the thought police. NYC stop-and-frisk policy violates constitutional rights, federal judge rules - CBS News

Old 01-09-2015, 01:28 PM

604 posts, read 618,850 times
they should stop drivers and ask for proof of insurance.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:12 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,479,809 times
We used to stop and frisk each other on SoBe all the time. Generally I didn't mind - unless she turned out to be a guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami