Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 4,323 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the ad agency info, but I will still have most of my clients from NY as I work through email mostly. I'd love to pick up additional work in Miami too of course but I am mostly a book illustrator & mural artist so not really looking to join an ad agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P. View Post
Thanks for all the ad agency info, but I will still have most of my clients from NY as I work through email mostly. I'd love to pick up additional work in Miami too of course but I am mostly a book illustrator & mural artist so not really looking to join an ad agency.

Crispin Porter + Bogusky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the agency, Crispin-Porter Headquarted still in Miami(Coconut Grove) except for Bogusky, they do have offices in Colorado, Los Angeles and London

Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
m.[7] The agency’s current client list includes Coke Zero, Microsoft,[8] Microsoft Windows Phone,[9] American Express OPEN and Travel, Best Buy, Domino's Pizza, Old Navy, Jell-O, Bolthouse Farms - Baby Carrots, Vail Resorts, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese,[10] MetLife,[11] Vitaminwater,[12] Milka,[13] Molson Canadian, SAS, Philips, and Discovery Channel UK. Sally Hogshead

Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P. View Post
@85rx-7gsl-se

Yes I would like to cover the first 3 months at least w/ around 3-4 k. So anything less than a thousand works, this is not including security and deposits. I was hoping for 600 - 1200 range. Maybe a small flat house or apartment if I have to. I've looked around a bit and have seen modest 1bedroom spots for 400 and upward so I thought looking for something in my range was reasonable.

@Cubanchic Thanks! I will definitely look into these areas. Are they all typically in similar price ranges, oh and did you mean to say what I was going for is "low end"?

Thanks for all the responses. Any additional information is appreciated!

There is no legal, safe apartment in Miami going for $400. You are unlikely to find what you're looking for for less than $1200/mo, and certainly not in an area like Coconut Grove. Your idea that Miami is significantly cheaper than NYC is erroneous. You will get more sq footage for your money, because Miami does not have small rooms like NYC does, it is more spread out. But the rent prices are not significantly cheaper. Plus, you need a car and the car insurance is about as high as in NYC. (Miami does not have much of a public transportation system, and the bus system is not very reliable if you need to be on time or move quickly. Bikes are a great idea but are not very practical due to the heat, the rain, and the lack of safe cycling routes.)

Keep in mind when looking for apartments if something is not a legal apartment (pretty much anything under $800), is below-flood, or is infested with cockroaches and mold, which are a way of life down here - especially in older ground floor apartments!

The outskirts of town are more likely to be affordable, but are not really artist communities. Also, the affordable parts of Miami are not walkable the way NYC, it is more like LA where everyone is in a car and does not interact much.

Truthfully, nothing about Miami is really "relaxed and affordable." I lived in NYC before Miami, so I'm speaking from experience. It is a chill city in terms of partying, but it is a highly stressful city in terms of traffic, road rage, and trying to afford one's life on the local income. If you will maintain NYC money, you might be fine, but it's not going to be a lot cheaper than what you're dealing with now, not for desirable areas and a calm, safe lifestyle.

I don't know what made you think you'd be getting a house with grass in a safe neighborhood for under $1000/mo in Miami, but yeah... that's not happening. Houses are... WAY more, like over $2000 generally for a place with a yard in a nice neighborhood. That's like saying you want your own yard somewhere near downtown Brooklyn. If you want to live way out, then sure. But then why move to Miami at all? You can move out to the North Bronx for the cheaper land, but how much does that really feel like the City?

The North Bronx/Staten Island/Jersey equivalent in Miami are places like West Kendall, Homestead, etc. They're not a tropical dream, they're hot inland suburban/rural swampland a long commute from Miami proper and 45-60 min. from enjoying the beach. And they're still more like $800 for a small apartment. Maybe you'd like it, but it's not like laying in a hammock with a tropical drink watching the surf for $500/mo...

If something is way below the standard price... well, you know the saying about if it looks too good to be true... There are a lot of shady people in Miami, especially in the illegal rental world, who would love to prey on someone who doesn't know anything about the area. A ton of people come down here expecting to get something for nothing, and so it is a landlord's market. There are plenty of people willing to shell out the money, just like in NY, so a place that is taking less than the going rate has something seriously wrong with it.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:11 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times
Default Are You Ready For Salsa?

Are you ready to dance? Miami is bign on it..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEdIaYIzaA

Old 03-15-2015, 08:07 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times
Default Starfish Key

He or she has given you excellent advise..........listen carefully......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami