Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM

419 posts, read 2,018,854 times

Advertisements

I travel to Miami on business on a regular basis and am always shocked when I arrive in the City. It seems like the average person in Miami does not like non hispanic people. I have never been treated so rudely by so many people in so many people as I have in Miami. Is it racism, culture, a way of life, what is it about Miami that creates so much rudeness?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I travel to Miami on business on a regular basis and am always shocked when I arrive in the City. It seems like the average person in Miami does not like non hispanic people. I have never been treated so rudely by so many people in so many people as I have in Miami. Is it racism, culture, a way of life, what is it about Miami that creates so much rudeness?
You are mostly right about everything you wrote. You probably stand out as a forigner (non-Miamiian) and that makes you an easy target for extra rudeness. It's because they resent you since you must have a better quality of life than they do since you don't live in Miami.
Here are some tips to blend in when in Miami.
1 Don't say any sort of greeting when you pass someone on the street.
2 Don't say please or thank you. When the cashier at Publix says "Thank you" just ignore it. She really doesn't mean it. It's just part of the routine she's trained to do.
3 Don't make prolonged eye-contactr with anyone. Some people will say not to make any eye-contact but I don't mind making short eye-contact of up to two seconds. That puts me about three standard deviations above the mean on the friendliness scale for South Florida, by the way.
4 Frown a low. If peopel think you are already miserable they won't think it is their duty to make you feel that way.

Well, that's about it. I'm sure others can add to the advice.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,841 times
I tend to do the opposite. I will not stoop down to the level of rude people or add to the problem, instead I make it a point to do the right things and be friendly to everyone. If I don't get it in return, it's no loss to me. They are the ones that will continue living a miserable life. I don't do it to get something in return. It makes me happy to do something good or say something nice to people. The important thing is that I'm a good role model especially in front of my kids.

In addition, there are rude people everywhere wherever you find such a large population and diverse crowd. There will always be tension as well language barriers which can cause a misunderstanding.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I tend to do the opposite. I will not stoop down to the level of rude people or add to the problem,...
Um.. I was joking around with the guy. Of course no one should try to be rude on purpose just to pre-empt expected rude behavior. lol
Anyway, I've gotten used to the rudeness since I was born here and I hardly notice it anymore. My wife, on the other hand who just moved here in 2005, thinks we're all savages.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,841 times
Savages! (LOL) I know that you were exaggerating. I've lived here all my life also. I don't think that most people are rude on purpose. I think that it's a result of living in a large city with constant traffic, long lines, and cultural differences added to everyday life's problems.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Miami - rudeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Savages! (LOL) I know that you were exaggerating. I've lived here all my life also. I don't think that most people are rude on purpose. I think that it's a result of living in a large city with constant traffic, long lines, and cultural differences added to everyday life's problems.
My husband is a native - we now live in Boca but he grew up in Miami. We went to Charleston, SC for a wedding last year - when we got to the hotel, we asked the clerk for directions to our destination. He was SO nasty and hostile - no one else waiting. So, bottom line, it happens everywhere.

I was raised to be friendly. My husband's family is very shy and quiet. He never speaks to anyone; I do - he is always amazed at the reaction I get (all positive usually).

Old 01-28-2008, 02:33 PM

62 posts, read 348,614 times
I agree with the OP.
Everytime I visit I am shocked.
The nicer I am the worse I get treated.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,132,455 times
I agree about the rudeness, it is out of control here. I have said in previous posts that Miami is the capital of the ME culture, people are very in your face about flaunting the bling, and overall don't appreciate civilty or manners. Nor do they seem to reciprocate when one is nice.

Some posters here strongly disagree with the previous statement, and it is baffling to me personaly, I don't know how you could possibly insulate yourself enough here to not realize how out of hand it is, but none the less you will see many posts responding that there are "rude people" everywhere....it kind of reminds me of the default messages on the computer, no matter what you say or do, or what evidence you present, the only response is that it is like this everywhere (yeah, right) or it "must be you" lol.

It is an oxymoron considering we are the HOSPTIALITY management capital of the world, basing our economy on tourism.

The bottom line is, it is a runaway train and we have sybil and the switch. Most people are totally indifferent to this issue (part of the problem), or others aren't bothered by it because this is the only palce in the US where they can get away with treating people so poorly...or are in the honeymoon phase (first 5 years of living here) and they love the palm trees and think the sunshine dollars make up for this taboo truth.

It sucks, the only real advise I can give is if you live here, insulte yourself with good friends and family to not be affected by this...and visit the real world (north of Dade County) often to remember how most normal people interact.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,707 times
This is going to seem off base from those who have read my previous posts. I live in a VERY rude and nasty part of town, and I consider this whole place the same. (at least to non hispanics, but i've seen them be just as rude to hispanics and anyone else). I go walking, almost every day for about an hour. I've lived in my house for 5 years. I've NEVER passed someone that said hello, smiled, whatever, by my house. Considered it normal. The other day I got stuck after a job in Pinecrest with some time to kill. I did my hour there. I bet 15 people smiled and said hello to me. So its not everywhere. Just most everywhere. Now if I had a shirt on that said 'no, i dont live here', they would have called the cops on me. But what they dont know, wont hurt them. So not everyone is rude, just most everyone. Since I was in shock and didnt say hello back to half of them, Im sure I was the rude guy. I still laugh when I see someone from Ft Laud or damn near anywhere else with this gripe, as to me people up there are nice, and I'm up there quite a bit. But more and more of our escapees are ending up there. So its inevitable.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM

28 posts, read 156,494 times
consider where in miami everyone is originally from, and there's your answer. it's a big group(s) of the same ppl, usually from the same areas, whether it be america or foreign. look at all the places throughout fla that have a miami-like population, it's the same basically. just on a smaller scale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami