Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 10:30 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times

Advertisements

We will have an evening and a partial day, then another partial day after a cruise, in Miami at the end of this week. We'll be staying near the port and will likely use the metro mover (get on at College/Bayside) to explore some in the few hours we will have, as neither of us has ever spent any time in Miami other than a layover.

Questions:

1) It doesn't appear that the metro mover goes near Little Havana so is Uber the quickest way to get there to explore? Any favorites for eating and drinking and seeing in Little Havana? What are the best streets in that area?

2) What's in Brickell that's close to the metro mover stop?

3) Any other must-see/must-do things close to any of the metro mover stops?

(We are a married couple, no kids, in 40-50 age range if that helps guide your suggestions. Not into museums, art, or the beach...for this trip, at least....we do like inexpensive local/street food and drink, views, general everyday cultural experiences of the locals.)

Thanks from Austin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:12 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
We will have an evening and a partial day, then another partial day after a cruise, in Miami at the end of this week. We'll be staying near the port and will likely use the metro mover (get on at College/Bayside) to explore some in the few hours we will have, as neither of us has ever spent any time in Miami other than a layover.

Questions:

1) It doesn't appear that the metro mover goes near Little Havana so is Uber the quickest way to get there to explore? Any favorites for eating and drinking and seeing in Little Havana? What are the best streets in that area?

2) What's in Brickell that's close to the metro mover stop?

3) Any other must-see/must-do things close to any of the metro mover stops?

(We are a married couple, no kids, in 40-50 age range if that helps guide your suggestions. Not into museums, art, or the beach...for this trip, at least....we do like inexpensive local/street food and drink, views, general everyday cultural experiences of the locals.)

Thanks from Austin!
#1: You can get off at the Government Center station and take numerous buses into Little Havana itself. For Cuban food in Little Havana there is Versailles on Calle Ocho itself:
Versailles Restaurant - Miami - The World's Most Famous Cuban Restaurant

You can take the #11 bus to the restaurant :
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/111+...1449511920!3e3

Here is a guide to some restaurant & bars :
South Florida Restaurants & Bars - southflorida.com

#2: What's in Brickell is Mary Brickell Village :
HOME which is worth a few hours for drinks, shopping and people watching.

#3: other must-see/must-do things close to any of the metro mover stops?
Miami also has a free trolley system that connects with MetroMover & Metrorail at various stops.
I would recommend taking the Coral Way trolley from the either the Government Center downtown or the Brickell station that heads west towards Coral Gables and you can shop & walk around the Miracle Mile section.

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/maps/coralway.pdf

Coral Way is one of Miami's most beautiful streets.
There are also 5 other free Trolley routes that you may want to explore:
City of Miami - Official Website

Operating hours are posted on the website for the trolleys & Metromover shuts down at Midnight.
Transportation and Public Works - Miami-Dade County

I'm sure others will chime in with places to eat & drink in Little Havana. You can also stroll in Bayfront & Museum Park fronting Biscayne Bay and along the Miami Riverwalk which fronts both sides of the Miami River with restaurants too.
Enjoy your stay!

Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Just take an Uber everywhere.
In Little Havanna you must go to "Ball and Chain"...for drinks. You will LOVE it. Sit in the back with the music it's such a fun, historic, authetic Miami spot.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
El Rey De La Frita. Good cuban "fast food" type place.

Bayside Market place is very touristy, and not a place to eat good food, but its a place to spend an hour or two, get a drink and enjoy the boats.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:25 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
El Rey De La Frita. Good cuban "fast food" type place.

Bayside Market place is very touristy, and not a place to eat good food, but its a place to spend an hour or two, get a drink and enjoy the boats.
Fly! Give us a address! Is it in Little Havana?

Another popular place in Miami is "El Palacio de los Jugos" "

El Palacio De Los Jugos - 324 Photos - Fruits & Veggies - Flagami - Miami, FL - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

Old 12-08-2015, 08:06 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
A few locals I know like the "Juice Palace" and there are quite a few. Bayside was always run down as I remember, not sure if that eyesore is still so.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:22 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
Thank ya'll so much!!! You've given me a lot of great suggestions for our short time there. If you're ever in Austin and need suggestions for here, let me know!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:49 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
+1 on the uber suggestion. Uber X is "uber" cheap in South Florida. If you are just going to a few places, don't stress public transportation and just hop in an uber.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:26 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Who would trust Uber to get around? I hit one of them with my truck because the "Uber" driver was not paying attention and drove right out of a side street and into my reinforced bumper. On the other side of this a friend of mine was given a ticket by the corrupt police at the airport, accusing him of driving for Uber. Great because he was dropping his friend off at the airport for a business trip! Wasted part of a day at traffic court, thanks!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A few locals I know like the "Juice Palace" and there are quite a few. Bayside was always run down as I remember, not sure if that eyesore is still so.
So it was run down when it was brand new as you used the word always, great word to use or are we speaking rhethorically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami