Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:32 PM

57 posts, read 87,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
The Grove was a lovely place with its head shops, theaters, seaside bars and cafes, hippyish atmosphere, the bounty and adam's apple. The only really livable place near to the sea at that time. The only inconvenience was the hood just besides. The houses are also impressive, home of wild parties at that time.
The Grove 'was' or 'is' a lovely place...? Judging by your email, the best days are in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
The Grove had no competition at that time, back then MB was out of the question, downtown was obnoxious.

By I bet that still is number one, with those condos, hotels, high class visitors.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I'm a big fan of Coconut Grove and spent a lot of time visiting and researching it for a move from Fort Lauderdale to Miami because of my husband's job.

He left that position so we didn't move to Miami but I'd live there in a heartbeat.

We often go to Miami so we can hang out at Montys in the grove.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:03 PM

707 posts, read 1,408,211 times
The problem with the Grove is that it got over commercialized and that village type atmosphere was lost.
I don't think you can ever capture the Old village type Grove of the 70's but its still has a lot of potential.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
I lived in the grove up until 2 years ago. It is bar none my favorite neighborhood in Miami. IF I HAD to move back to Florida, it is the only area I would consider.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:58 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I lived in the grove up until 2 years ago. It is bar none my favorite neighborhood in Miami. IF I HAD to move back to Florida, it is the only area I would consider.
We have missed you. Where did you go?

I can't speak to the so-called hippy era of yesteryear, but in the context of the past decade or so I agree with those who say it's not so much that Coconut Grove has declined as competing neighborhoods, such as Brickell and downtown, have been on the rise.

Still, for those who prefer a more urban environment the area around Main Hwy, Grand Ave, McFarlane Rd and Bayshore Dr is okay and improving somewhat, while, as already mentioned, the residential neighborhoods further south straddling Main Hwy are still hard to beat and better, in my view, than Coral Gables and Pinecrest overall, the best private school and others are also located there, as well several historic buildings.

I would live there too under the right circumstances, would prefer the more urban part.

Wild Style, what part did you live in?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
We have missed you. Where did you go?

I can't speak to the so-called hippy era of yesteryear, but in the context of the past decade or so I agree with those who say it's not so much that Coconut Grove has declined as competing neighborhoods, such as Brickell and downtown, have been on the rise.

Still, for those who prefer a more urban environment the area around Main Hwy, Grand Ave, McFarlane Rd and Bayshore Dr is okay and improving somewhat, while, as already mentioned, the residential neighborhoods further south straddling Main Hwy are still hard to beat and better, in my view, than Coral Gables and Pinecrest overall, the best private school and others are also located there, as well several historic buildings.

I would live there too under the right circumstances, would prefer the more urban part.

Wild Style, what part did you live in?
Bale,

Moved back to NYC. Been back for two years now.

I lived on Tigertail and 27th Avenue, in the condos next to the Marriott or whatever that hotel is. I LOVED LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that area. If I EVER moved back to florida (which I never will), it would ONLY be to the Grove. That place was soooo beautiful and the people were exceptionally nice. You had to be careful at night though. One lady was raped right in front of CG Elementary. But generally, it was absolutely a beautiful area. I would walk every evening for about 2 hours around center Grove. On the weekends we would walk to the movie theater, or grab something to eat etc. It was just really nice. I can't think of any other place in South Florida that even comes close to that place. Density, lots to do, beauty, nice people.

The ONLY complaint I had was the idiots who would walk their dogs off leash. One of them actually almost bit me.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:36 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Bale,

Moved back to NYC. Been back for two years now.

I lived on Tigertail and 27th Avenue, in the condos next to the Marriott or whatever that hotel is. I LOVED LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that area. If I EVER moved back to florida (which I never will), it would ONLY be to the Grove. That place was soooo beautiful and the people were exceptionally nice. You had to be careful at night though. One lady was raped right in front of CG Elementary. But generally, it was absolutely a beautiful area. I would walk every evening for about 2 hours around center Grove. On the weekends we would walk to the movie theater, or grab something to eat etc. It was just really nice. I can't think of any other place in South Florida that even comes close to that place. Density, lots to do, beauty, nice people.

The ONLY complaint I had was the idiots who would walk their dogs off leash. One of them actually almost bit me.
Which movie theater or area with restaurants are you taking about being in walking distance? Because when I envision that intersection I think of some mid-to high rise residential/hotel buildings and not much else with regards to retail, etc.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Which movie theater or area with restaurants are you taking about being in walking distance? Because when I envision that intersection I think of some mid-to high rise residential/hotel buildings and not much else with regards to retail, etc.
The only movie theater in the grove

Old 02-14-2016, 04:27 AM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
The mythical and once psichodelic Playhouse.
Tigertail, that's the best area of Miami with no exception.
You were lucky.
I remember Coral Gables when it was like a town with very strange shops, music shops, old libraries and those European-like terraces serving conch fritter taps, wine and cheese bars.
Coconut Grove reminded me a lot to a cozy med resort-boutique town like my own.
Were was that place that showed the rocky horror show once a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami