Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:29 AM

170 posts, read 190,257 times

Advertisements

LA Is the Most Unsafe Place in the US for Pedestrians - Word on the Street - Curbed LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 06:38 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
To be fair, Los Angeles County is the nation's most populous with over 10 million people. That's nearly 4X the population of MiamiDade. However, Los Angeles county doesn't have 4X the number of pedestrian fatalities of MiamiDade.
This list needs to be adjusted for its population so that we can see rates. Right off the bat, with just some quick calculation in ones head, it's easy to see that it's misleading. Way down that list is Duval but its population is under 900,000. It has 36 fatalities meaning that one of each ~24,600 of its residents will statistically become a pedestrian fatality. With about 10.1 million people, one out of each ~48,800 Los Angeles residents will die as a pedestrian. That makes Duval about twice as unsafe for pedestrians than Los Angeles.
Where does MiamiDade fall? Well, at about 2.66 million, each of the 74 fatalities means that one of each ~36,000 residents will become a pedestrian fatality making MiamiDade much less safe for pedestrians than Los Angeles but nearly 50% safer than Duval.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
To be fair, Los Angeles County is the nation's most populous with over 10 million people. That's nearly 4X the population of MiamiDade. However, Los Angeles county doesn't have 4X the number of pedestrian fatalities of MiamiDade.
This list needs to be adjusted for its population so that we can see rates. Right off the bat, with just some quick calculation in ones head, it's easy to see that it's misleading. Way down that list is Duval but its population is under 900,000. It has 36 fatalities meaning that one of each ~24,600 of its residents will statistically become a pedestrian fatality. With about 10.1 million people, one out of each ~48,800 Los Angeles residents will die as a pedestrian. That makes Duval about twice as unsafe for pedestrians than Los Angeles.
Where does MiamiDade fall? Well, at about 2.66 million, each of the 74 fatalities means that one of each ~36,000 residents will become a pedestrian fatality making MiamiDade much less safe for pedestrians than Los Angeles but nearly 50% safer than Duval.
Dropping some truth

Old 02-09-2016, 07:23 AM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times
What got my attention is that 6 of the top 20 counties are in Florida, more than any other state.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:41 PM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
I'm sure FDOT is doing its best in order to regain the top spot.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I did notice on my last visit that pedestrians definitely do NOT have the right away in Miami, especially SoBe...almost got clipped twice and it's almost as though cars go out of their way to come as close to hitting you without doing so as possible.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,174,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I did notice on my last visit that pedestrians definitely do NOT have the right away in Miami, especially SoBe...almost got clipped twice and it's almost as though cars go out of their way to come as close to hitting you without doing so as possible.
I live in South Beach and can say that the pedestrians also contribute to their own risk by stepping out in front of cars when the cars have the right of way (meaning that the light is green for the cars). I see this ALL THE TIME on the cross roads of Lincoln Rd, Alton Rd, Washington Ave and Collins Ave. So that you know, I am a huge pedestrians' rights guy and I rarely drive but one cannot expect to be respected when respect is not returned. The same is true for cyclists in Miami. When I cycle, I stop at lights and stop signs but hardly anyone else does.
So, while I agree that drivers often do not yield the right of way to pedestrians in Miami, the problem is a two way street....pun intended. There's enough rudeness and inconsideration to spread around to everyone.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:22 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
^^^
Agree...though I will use my horn when a pedestrian jay walks or crosses when they are not supposed to and I am very careful when walking and crossing Collins Avenue and Alton (and do not assume cars will stop when I am in a marked crosswalk that states cars must yield to pedetrians--very often they do not, especially in SoFi).

Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
^^^
Agree...though I will use my horn when a pedestrian jay walks or crosses when they are not supposed to and I am very careful when walking and crossing Collins Avenue and Alton (and do not assume cars will stop when I am in a marked crosswalk that states cars must yield to pedetrians--very often they do not, especially in SoFi).
Please stop this form of noise pollution. Car horns are for emergencies only, per FL law. Plus many pedestrians entered the crosswalk when it was still legal to cross and are still crossing. Usually because the signal did not give enough time to cross (especially on FDOT roads). They have the right to finish crossing, just like cars have the right to finishing getting through the intersection even if the light changed.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,942,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in South Beach and can say that the pedestrians also contribute to their own risk by stepping out in front of cars when the cars have the right of way (meaning that the light is green for the cars). I see this ALL THE TIME on the cross roads of Lincoln Rd, Alton Rd, Washington Ave and Collins Ave. So that you know, I am a huge pedestrians' rights guy and I rarely drive but one cannot expect to be respected when respect is not returned. The same is true for cyclists in Miami. When I cycle, I stop at lights and stop signs but hardly anyone else does.
So, while I agree that drivers often do not yield the right of way to pedestrians in Miami, the problem is a two way street....pun intended. There's enough rudeness and inconsideration to spread around to everyone.
I'm with you. It's one thing to enter the crosswalk with a green walk signal and not finish crossing in time because they don't give people enough time to cross. Quite another to enter the crosswalk against traffic when the signal is clearly showing red, and this doesn't help foster mutual respect at all.

That said, the fact is jaywalking occurs in any major city, so it's probably not the main reason why Miami and other Florida cities are so dangerous for pedestrians. For example, people get hit while walking on the sidewalk here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami