Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 10:58 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times

Advertisements

Will be in the city at the end of July and I am looking for a place to stay, preferably along the beach. We don't need the fanciest accommodations, but we're looking for more than a room and a bed, if you know what I mean? I have been looking in the Miami Beach area and Brickell city Centre area, if it isn't too far from the beach (30 mins is ok).

So I guess I'm open for suggestions from locals. You all have been so helpful to others I can't wait to hear your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 AM

892 posts, read 860,735 times
Let me help, but it will depend on really what you want which to me (besides location) haven't really indicated.

South Beach is famous for our Boutique hotels in the Art Deco style. The Delano is what I'd recommend, awesome location, great garden with pool, upscale. If you want to stay in something cheaper, look at the Clevelander, it's on Ocean and attracts a different kind of tourist than the Delano. Other boutique hotels to look at are the Redbury (love their rooftop) or the W. The W is trendy, but not in a Art Deco style unfortunately. It however has it's own club (the Wall), a Miami signature restaurant (the Dutch), it's own exquisite lounge which I spend much of my time in.

Finally, if you want a resort with all the amenities try the Fontainebleau, it's in Miami Beach but outside of South Beach though a short uber drive to. It has Liv (one of Miami's most famous nightclubs), several restaurants but the most notable being Hakkasan.

If you want to stay in Brickell, have a look at Epic or the Viceroy, but I don't know that area too well.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:24 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,728,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
Let me help, but it will depend on really what you want which to me (besides location) haven't really indicated.

South Beach is famous for our Boutique hotels in the Art Deco style. The Delano is what I'd recommend, awesome location, great garden with pool, upscale. If you want to stay in something cheaper, look at the Clevelander, it's on Ocean and attracts a different kind of tourist than the Delano. Other boutique hotels to look at are the Redbury (love their rooftop) or the W. The W is trendy, but not in a Art Deco style unfortunately. It however has it's own club (the Wall), a Miami signature restaurant (the Dutch), it's own exquisite lounge which I spend much of my time in.

Finally, if you want a resort with all the amenities try the Fontainebleau, it's in Miami Beach but outside of South Beach though a short uber drive to. It has Liv (one of Miami's most famous nightclubs), several restaurants but the most notable being Hakkasan.

If you want to stay in Brickell, have a look at Epic or the Viceroy, but I don't know that area too well.
This is helpful. I know I wasn't too specific in my original details. Not so concerned with the club scene as much as just seeing the city and what things make it unique (neighborhoods, restaurants, art galleries, museums, attractions).
I have researched some of the hotel suggestions and they look promising! I hear so much about the bad traffic there I wonder if I should forgo a rental car and just depend on Uber?

Old 03-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This is helpful. I know I wasn't too specific in my original details. Not so concerned with the club scene as much as just seeing the city and what things make it unique (neighborhoods, restaurants, art galleries, museums, attractions).
I have researched some of the hotel suggestions and they look promising! I hear so much about the bad traffic there I wonder if I should forgo a rental car and just depend on Uber?
If you're interested in seeing the city and what makes it unique - one of the thing that makes it unique is the art deco architecture. For that Delano is absolutely beautiful. Why stroll around the Art Deco district of Miami Beach when you can sleep in a beautiful art deco building?

The second thing that makes us unique is high-rises with beautiful views. I like the Viceroy for that. You can go Fifty Lounge (Fiftieth floor) for beautiful views, poolside leisure.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:13 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
What is your budget?

I would recommend against Delano. I was just in there about a week ago and the lobby was dark, and musty. They're resting on their laurels. There are far better options in South Beach.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:44 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,899,145 times
If you're around at the right time and you enjoy mangoes, Fairchild's Mango Festival is in July. It's hot and busy, but people from around the world come to it. You can taste many rare varieties of mangoes, eat everything you could possibly imagine could be made with mango (and other things like chocolate), and also buy fruit and fruit trees. If you're looking for things unique to Miami, that is definitely one of them. Homestead/Florida City and West Kendall areas are where you can find a lot of the agricultural business, with many farms and nurseries dedicated to tropical fruit. To escape the crowds but learn about the kinds of fruit here (and get to taste test rare fruits and ice cream), take a free tour at Fruit & Spice Park the same weekend everybody else is at MangoFest.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:19 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Price point will be helpful to know...I also like the Kaskades Suites at Gale Hotel in South Beach, even though it is not oceanfront (2-3 minute walk to the beach). Love The Edition, though it's not in SoBe..I would call the Viceroy--believe they need to make major repairs to their pool that will shut it down for quite some time. Love the Epic.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I would call the Viceroy--believe they need to make major repairs to their pool that will shut it down for quite some time. Love the Epic.
That's what the Herald has reported. Epic is a better choice, hands down. All Icon construction is cheap- a signature of Related.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
That's what the Herald has reported. Epic is a better choice, hands down. All Icon construction is cheap- a signature of Related.
I like the Viceroy better, there are 3 pools (a lap pool, one of the largest hot tubs in the world, and a reflection pool with dining inside) not to mention the pool on top of fifty ultra lounge with one of the best views in Brickell.

Also no idea on your critique on the Delano, I go there for drinks all the time, in their lobby as well as their courtyard/pool. It's an older building for sure, but all hotel lobbies are 'dark' here, it helps set the mood.

If you want newer and more contemporary there is always the W.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:24 PM

The Icon pool is lovely, but as mentioned, there are major problems with it. The Herald has reported it could be closed for months.

Mood is one thing, musty is another!

Either way, I'm assuming the OP isn't going to be looking at Delano or W, because both are overpriced no matter the time of year. Hopefully they'll report back with their price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami