Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Yes it just looks like a bunch of buildings crammed on too small a space. The Omni was a failed development similar to this, lots of promise and eventual failure.
Omni ultimately failed but at the beginning it was booming and was the place to be. I think its demise were the unsafe areas surrounding it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,461 times
I think Omni succumbed to the general national trend of downtown enclosed malls failing. Citi Center is not just a mall, and it;s being built at a time when nationally city centers are re-surging. How about 20-30 years from now? Hard to say. I think it's long term success will depend on mass transit expansion as the traffic situation there already sucks and will only get worse. Eventually, people will stop driving if traffic is bad, so you need an alternative.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
I believe there is a 1000-footer plus that is to be built. I believe it is going where the brick building(Miami Today) once was, not sure though.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:30 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I believe there is a 1000-footer plus that is to be built. I believe it is going where the brick building(Miami Today) once was, not sure though.
Yes that is Phase 2 of the project at the corner of SE 8th. Street & Brickell Avenue.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...E_640/OBCC-Day

The skyscraper will rise to 1,040 Feet (317 Meters) and will be 80 stories high. It will be a multi use tower which will include retail, office space, condos and a hotel. It is the centerpiece of the second phase of development at Brickell City Centre.
Construction is set to begin in late 2017. Once built this will be the tallest building in all of the South.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...pswevrvehd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jNe69fa.jpg

Read more here: Feds OK height for 80-story One Brickell City Centre tower | Miami Herald

Old 03-07-2016, 06:34 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,741,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yes that is Phase 2 of the project at the corner of SE 8th. Street & Brickell Avenue.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/busi...E_640/OBCC-Day

The skyscraper will rise to 1,040 Feet (317 Meters) and will be 80 stories high. It will be a multi use tower which will include retail, office space, condos and a hotel. It is the centerpiece of the second phase of development at Brickell City Centre.
Construction is set to begin in late 2017. Once built this will be the tallest building in all of the South.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...pswevrvehd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jNe69fa.jpg

Read more here: Feds OK height for 80-story One Brickell City Centre tower | Miami Herald
A new World Trade Center to sit vacant as most of its space in unnecessary. It just drives me nuts to see billions wasted on this garbage when what Miami really needs is more expressways, railroads and fiber optic internet, Instead they keep overloading an obsolete road system and power grid with these targets for the "big one".

Old 03-07-2016, 03:18 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,938,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A new World Trade Center to sit vacant as most of its space in unnecessary. It just drives me nuts to see billions wasted on this garbage when what Miami really needs is more expressways, railroads and fiber optic internet, Instead they keep overloading an obsolete road system and power grid with these targets for the "big one".

Bob and I are skyscraper enthusiasts. I will say that developer will not build unless there is a certain percentage of sale and what it cost to build regardless of it being mixed-use.. Brickell is hot right now, the hottest spot in Miami and will continue. If most who worked downtown lived downtown we would not need the extra expressways just hop on metro-mover or walk to work. We see an increase in Miami's population and will continue in the future.

For the people who drive to work, carpooling needs to increase as this would take a prodigious amount of vehicles off the road. For every carpooling of 4 people you are taking 3 cars off the road which is 50-60 feet in length times just 1,000 cars is 50,000 feet or close to 10 miles divided by 5 lanes is 2 more miles less of road congestion we could be given back. Plus the energy we would save. Miami needs to smarten up the country as a whole needs to smarten up and save fuel.

Last edited by perry335654; 03-07-2016 at 04:27 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM

892 posts, read 859,161 times
At 1040 feet it will be the 11th tallest skyscraper in the USA.

Just below the Chrysler Building and the New York Times Building in Manhattan and somewhat taller than the Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta.

Hopefully it has some awesome nighttime lights, to add to the views over the Bay.

Last edited by Majami; 03-07-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 PM

42 posts, read 50,845 times
Just had to chime in here. i worked at this site and had to comment. To start, South Florida leads the country with fatality accidents on construction sites of this size. This is due to the lack of skilled labor and lack of education regarding Safety. I witnessed 2 deaths at the site and it was quite disturbing. Since I lived close by to this project I thought it would have everything I was looking for, a good salary and benefits, professional supervisors and co-workers and a sence of satisfaction from completing a high profile Miami project. I was dead wrong. (no pun). It turned out to be the opposite. Without giving too much away, look at the photos posted. You are correct, that is plywood on the exterior of an office building! And you thought it was only used for residential structures. My job consisted of fixing other peoples mistakes - and there were a lot of them. It was more than I or anyone could handle. I hated to leave this project but it was the best thing for me. Hey, I am still alive and have moved on. Its like any other Miami construction project, cheap labor trying to install high end finishes and failing miserabily. "Opens Spring 2016" the sign exclaims at Brickell and 7th St. Hey thats now!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workerant View Post
Just had to chime in here. i worked at this site and had to comment. To start, South Florida leads the country with fatality accidents on construction sites of this size. This is due to the lack of skilled labor and lack of education regarding Safety. I witnessed 2 deaths at the site and it was quite disturbing. Since I lived close by to this project I thought it would have everything I was looking for, a good salary and benefits, professional supervisors and co-workers and a sence of satisfaction from completing a high profile Miami project. I was dead wrong. (no pun). It turned out to be the opposite. [b]Without giving too much away, look at the photos posted. You are correct, that is plywood on the exterior of an office building! And you thought it was only used for residential structures. My job consisted of fixing other peoples mistakes - and there were a lot of them. It was more than I or anyone could handle. I hated to leave this project but it was the best thing for me.[b] Hey, I am still alive and have moved on. Its like any other Miami construction project, cheap labor trying to install high end finishes and failing miserabily. "Opens Spring 2016" the sign exclaims at Brickell and 7th St. Hey thats now!
Besides typing behind a computer you are going to have to post links on these "assertions" you are making now.
What are the 2 deaths you claim about and please post News articles to verify your claims. The last construction worker death I heard about was years ago when a worker fell off the the top floor of Marina Blue.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 AM

42 posts, read 50,845 times
I don't have to do anything. You have the choice to believe what you wish when you read posts. Every time someone dies in Miami or Sout Beach it doesn't it always make it to the Herald or other News agencys. Some events are best left unreported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: