Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:06 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here is a basic real life test, to decide if there are really four hundred thousand Russian speakers in the Miami area.....

Is there a Russian language newspaper in Miami ? Is there a Russian language radio station in Miami ?

Is there a Russian private school for children in Miami ? Is there a area where there are stores that sell Russian foods, and music CD's, and Russian language books ?

Do you see what I did there ? I substituted "Russian " for "Cuban ".

I don't think that there is any where near 400 thousand Russians in the Miami area.

Jim B.

You'd be surprised, but most of the answers are Yes. OK, there is no public radio station, but everything is on the Internet nowadays.

Russian Florida TV

There multiple Russian stores in Sunny Isles (and beyond) where you can find food, newspapers, CDs, DVDs, you name it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:59 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here is a basic real life test, to decide if there are really four hundred thousand Russian speakers in the Miami area.....

Is there a Russian language newspaper in Miami ? Is there a Russian language radio station in Miami ?

Is there a Russian private school for children in Miami ? Is there a area where there are stores that sell Russian foods, and music CD's, and Russian language books ?

Do you see what I did there ? I substituted "Russian " for "Cuban ".

I don't think that there is any where near 400 thousand Russians in the Miami area.

Jim B.
Based on the fact that there's only a population of 146,000 in Hollywood, 13,000 in Sunny Isles, 37,000 in Aventura, 38,600 in Hallandale and a total population of only 417,650 for the entire Miami metro area which extends from Coral Gables up to the El Portal North Bay area and westward into Flagami, I would say that that estimation of 400,000 Russians in Miami is WAY overstated. It would probably be more honest to remove one of the zeros and figure 40,000. But still, a LOT and it's hard to be anywhere in the area without bumping into one. (as if anybody would actually want to avoid them. Let's face it, their women are the hottest things on the planet outside of the Romanians)

As far as Russian food stores and restaurants, one immediately comes to mind, which is the Europa gourmet Market on North Federal HWY in Hollywood across the street from Richard's Hotel.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:38 PM

289 posts, read 305,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Based on the fact that there's only a population of 146,000 in Hollywood, 13,000 in Sunny Isles, 37,000 in Aventura, 38,600 in Hallandale and a total population of only 417,650 for the entire Miami metro area which extends from Coral Gables up to the El Portal North Bay area and westward into Flagami, I would say that that estimation of 400,000 Russians in Miami is WAY overstated. It would probably be more honest to remove one of the zeros and figure 40,000. But still, a LOT and it's hard to be anywhere in the area without bumping into one. (as if anybody would actually want to avoid them. Let's face it, their women are the hottest things on the planet outside of the Romanians)

As far as Russian food stores and restaurants, one immediately comes to mind, which is the Europa gourmet Market on North Federal HWY in Hollywood across the street from Richard's Hotel.

I don't know where you got "417,650" for the Miami metro population, but the ACTUAL number is about 5,000,000. Sunny Isles is about 20,000. And while a large number of Russian-speakers DO live in these ethnic neighborhoods, a large number live outside them as well. I speak Russian fluently (born in Russia) but live in mid-beach. There are at least 4 Russian families in my (relatively) small building.

Now, the 400k figure may be a little bit high, but definitely not by too much. Keep in mind a lot of the older retirees up and down Miami Beach are also Rusian or of Russian decent.

The thing is, unlike Cubans or other latin americans, Russians aren't immediately obvious. Many (probably even most, if you're looking at the younger population) speak perfect English. We look like generic white people. The younger Russians pride themselves on their ability to assimilate. We're an invisible ethnic group, unless you know what you're looking for.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:42 PM

892 posts, read 859,497 times
Let's keep in mind there are also a lot of Kazakhs here who are Russian speaking.

During Serbian New Year at Haven, at least half the people were Russian despite it being organized by a Serbian and having Serbian music.

There are definitely a ton of Russians here, I'm not all surprised by 400,000 but I think the number is closer to 200,000 myself.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
I don't know where you got "417,650" for the Miami metro population, but the ACTUAL number is about 5,000,000. Sunny Isles is about 20,000. And while a large number of Russian-speakers DO live in these ethnic neighborhoods, a large number live outside them as well. I speak Russian fluently (born in Russia) but live in mid-beach. There are at least 4 Russian families in my (relatively) small building.

Now, the 400k figure may be a little bit high, but definitely not by too much. Keep in mind a lot of the older retirees up and down Miami Beach are also Rusian or of Russian decent.

The thing is, unlike Cubans or other latin americans, Russians aren't immediately obvious. Many (probably even most, if you're looking at the younger population) speak perfect English. We look like generic white people. The younger Russians pride themselves on their ability to assimilate. We're an invisible ethnic group, unless you know what you're looking for.
THAT'S for the entire county:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...nty+population

and for the metro area which I outlined:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+fl+population

so I'm not even sure where you're getting the 5 million.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:27 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
THAT'S for the entire county:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...nty+population

and for the metro area which I outlined:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+fl+population

so I'm not even sure where you're getting the 5 million.

I think the disagreement is just one of nomenclature. You keep saying metro area, but that 400k+ population you're using just includes people living within the borders of the City of Miami, not the entire metro Miami area.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,853 times
Also there are Ukrainians, Belorussians, Moldovans, Georgians, Armenians, Kirgiz, Uzbek, etc - all former Soviet, most speak Russian and many look Russian.

Old 03-25-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think the disagreement is just one of nomenclature. You keep saying metro area, but that 400k+ population you're using just includes people living within the borders of the City of Miami, not the entire metro Miami area.
This is why I CAREFULLY differentiated COUNTY from METRO area and included links that SHOW MAPS of the covered areas. I was very precise in what I was presenting.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
This is why I CAREFULLY differentiated COUNTY from METRO area and included links that SHOW MAPS of the covered areas. I was very precise in what I was presenting.
Yes, I understand what you're saying; that's why I said the issue is simply one of nomenclature. You defined the city borders for the most part, but you used the term "metro area" to describe it and that's not how metro area is usually defined. In fact, ironically, it's pretty much the opposite. When "metro area" is used by the government, statisticians, news media, etc, it is used to describe the total land area or total population of an entire region, not just an individual city's defined area or population.

The Miami metro area would also include the people and land in other incorporated cities such as South Miami, West Miami, Hialeah, Opa Locka, etc., as well as unincorporated areas such as Kendall. If you're watching a news story on tv, or reading a news article, or researching demographics, you will never see or hear anyone refer to Metro Miami and have it mean the City of Miami.

Simply put, the City of Miami is a subset of metro Miami.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, I understand what you're saying; that's why I said the issue is simply one of nomenclature. You defined the city borders for the most part, but you used the term "metro area" to describe it and that's not how metro area is usually defined. In fact, ironically, it's pretty much the opposite. When "metro area" is used by the government, statisticians, news media, etc, it is used to describe the total land area or total population of an entire region, not just an individual city's defined area or population.

The Miami metro area would also include the people and land in other incorporated cities such as South Miami, West Miami, Hialeah, Opa Locka, etc., as well as unincorporated areas such as Kendall. If you're watching a news story on tv, or reading a news article, or researching demographics, you will never see or hear anyone refer to Metro Miami and have it mean the City of Miami.

Simply put, the City of Miami is a subset of metro Miami.
{concedes victory}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami