Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 06:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,158 times

Advertisements

My fiancée and 8 year old boy are considering moving to Miami Beach this summer. Through our research it looks like North Beach and South Pointe Elementary are the top schools in the area. We went to south beach last year and liked it, although we didn't go out at night too much. With a 1800-2000 budget for rent for a 2BR, would you recommend living in South Beach as a family? I went to mid beach and north beach but they felt a little boring. We really liked being able to walk to different stores and walk to the beach. Any tips/ suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRex View Post
My fiancée and 8 year old boy are considering moving to Miami Beach this summer. Through our research it looks like North Beach and South Pointe Elementary are the top schools in the area. We went to south beach last year and liked it, although we didn't go out at night too much. With a 1800-2000 budget for rent for a 2BR, would you recommend living in South Beach as a family? I went to mid beach and north beach but they felt a little boring. We really liked being able to walk to different stores and walk to the beach. Any tips/ suggestions are appreciated!
South Pointe Elementary is an excellent elementary school. Problem is, you have to live from 8th street or south. Usually the South of Fifth people send their kids there. But $2k won't get you a 2 bedroom in South of Fifth. Maybe you can find a so-so place on 5th or 6th & Meridian but its not very nice, especially compared to South of Fifth (SoFi).

North Beach Elementary is pretty good and you should find a 2 bedroom for $2k in that school district.

My wife and I have a 2 year old and would love to move to SoFi and send him to that school. Our Budget is $2500 and its slim pickens' for that neighborhood. Plus what you find is stuff is very small.

If my kids were teenagers, I probably wouldn't want them growing up in Sobe..too much temptation easily available!

Old 02-19-2017, 10:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
South Pointe Elementary is an excellent elementary school. Problem is, you have to live from 8th street or south. Usually the South of Fifth people send their kids there.
Last year the Florida State Legislature passed a law, applicable starting in the 2017-2018 school year, enabling elementary school children to apply to any public district school.

The applicant must first be registered in his home district, then, usually starting in April, he can apply for out-of-district schools for the next school year starting in August.

The out-of-district school's only criterion for rejecting the application is if it has no available places to accept an out-of-district applicant.

Having said that, as mentioned, the South Pointe Elementary district is probably small, so unlikely to have spaces available for out-of-district applicants.

But one never knows, so the OP could call or, even better, visit the school and talk to admissions officers and ask about the probability of available spaces for 2017-2018.

Good Luck!

Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Last year the Florida State Legislature passed a law, applicable starting in the 2017-2018 school year, enabling elementary school children to apply to any public district school.

The applicant must first be registered in his home district, then, usually starting in April, he can apply for out-of-district schools for the next school year starting in August.

The out-of-district school's only criterion for rejecting the application is if it has no available places to accept an out-of-district applicant.

Having said that, as mentioned, the South Pointe Elementary district is probably small, so unlikely to have spaces available for out-of-district applicants.

But one never knows, so the OP could call or, even better, visit the school and talk to admissions officers and ask about the probability of available spaces for 2017-2018.

Good Luck!
I didn't know that.

But I know that the school is struggling with over crowding, same with north beach elementary. I guess a lot of people rent the little 1-2 bedrooms in Sofi and use that as their address and then drive them to school from over the bridge someplace or somewhere in Sobe just passed the district lines.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:32 PM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
What about Key Biscayne or Bay Harbor? There are other "beach" towns that you might want to explore.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 15,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_ View Post
2k is low for a 2-2 in SoBe.
Hmm, search on Trulia for 2-2 with $800-2000 range in SoBe shows 50 available apartments.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 AM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
According to the MLS, there's one 2 bedroom rental available south of 5th. It really depends on where you draw the line for SOBE, and they're looking to get in a specific school. And even if that number was 10, that means you're looking far below market average, and would need to expect rough living conditions, not exactly what most young families seek in a rental.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredM View Post
Hmm, search on Trulia for 2-2 with $800-2000 range in SoBe shows 50 available apartments.
Definitely not accurate.

And in South Point district, you'll be lucky to find 2-3 options.

Trulia isn't an accurate source of rentals either. Always use an agent and they can do a much more refined search. (i.e 1st to 9th, Wash to Alton, etc.)

Remember Sobe is 33139 only. I did a search and saw about 45 but that includes furnished rentals that are available for season only. If you remove the furnished option, its only 30 total 2 bedrooms and like Ann said, only 1 in South of Fifth.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:49 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
What about Key Biscayne or Bay Harbor? There are other "beach" towns that you might want to explore.
I was going to say the same thing. Sunny Isles Beach may also be possible--lots of families up there. If in Miami Beach, the North Beach neighborhood is not very boring at all these days, and free trolleys will take you right to the beach if you can't quite walk it (e.g., parts of Normandy Island).

Old 02-21-2017, 06:55 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,319,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Trulia isn't an accurate source of rentals either. Always use an agent and they can do a much more refined search. (i.e 1st to 9th, Wash to Alton, etc.)
I wouldn't blame it on Trulia or Zillow. I've noticed that Miami has more fake real estate listings than the typical locale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami