Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's overtown?! I was driving through there and didn't even realize it was bad.. thank god it wasn't night.
That's not Overtown, that's downtown. That area is safe to drive around in at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 03:35 PM

476 posts, read 2,817,492 times
Excuse me,this is not a provocation,but why to pity about the crimes in all cities and to give some guns to the people!

Last edited by xxs78; 09-08-2008 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 29,172 times
Default Are you serious?

When I first saw this while doing a google search for an old blog I thought it was a joke. I could not believe that there are people out there who would openly fear a part of Miami. Weak kneed elitist or just afraid of the working poor? I have lived in Overtown for five years. It is six blocks from my job at the Miami Herald. Many of my coworkers live here as well. Everyday I see little boys and girls walking to school in Overtown. They are not armed and do not need pOlice protection. At night old ladies walked to the park or to church or to one of the many corner grocery stores. Some nights we walk down to Culmer park to go fishing.

Oh now I understand. When you drive through Overtown you see our homeless neighbors and think that these people that are sleeping under the bridges are there to rob you. No. They are there to get out of the rain; escape the fire ants; and to hide from murderous wealthy kids from the suburbs.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,763,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown USa View Post
When I first saw this while doing a google search for an old blog I thought it was a joke. I could not believe that there are people out there who would openly fear a part of Miami. Weak kneed elitist or just afraid of the working poor? I have lived in Overtown for five years. It is six blocks from my job at the Miami Herald. Many of my coworkers live here as well. Everyday I see little boys and girls walking to school in Overtown. They are not armed and do not need pOlice protection. At night old ladies walked to the park or to church or to one of the many corner grocery stores. Some nights we walk down to Culmer park to go fishing.

Oh now I understand. When you drive through Overtown you see our homeless neighbors and think that these people that are sleeping under the bridges are there to rob you. No. They are there to get out of the rain; escape the fire ants; and to hide from murderous wealthy kids from the suburbs.
They don't call it "the Swamp" for no reason Mr. Overtown pride.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 AM

29 posts, read 98,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown USa View Post

Could have not said it better really. It's something simple minded people only understand when the circumstances make you. Others might get it after a few walk throughs, some don't need to experience to understand, quite a few need to be sleeping in a shelter, under a bridge, no job, go through mental issues to understand what it's like. It's not an easy walk and people kicking someone who's already down doesnt make it any easier.

Ignorance and bias based fear has taken over a good share of folks.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,624 times
We stopped at a Wendy's in (well, or near--I'm not sure of the exact boundaries, either) Overtown when we were down there last week and the scariest thing there was the girl waiting on us who tried to tell my wife (a vegetarian for a couple days per week (it's a religious thing)) that the stuff she was pointing at in her salad wasn't meat, it was bacon.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 AM

62 posts, read 323,003 times
I lived In the Overtown area for about a year in 1991. I rode a moped and was assulted on a regular basis. Dodging beer bottles, being clipped in traffic, being called cracker. Once while stoped at a light I was squirted in the side of the head with a supersoaker. I soon discovered routs to avoid Overtown. And Liberty City. Staying out of these areas eliminated all those problems with the exception of the traffic assults. I guess a white guy on a moped is just to tempting.
My advice ? Don't drive a moped.
Oh, I just remembered . I Have a good friend that was in a serious accident near Africa Park. By the time help arrived he had been relieved of all valuables. He is Cuban.
Good luck.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM

3 posts, read 29,172 times
Hi Bob:

Did you really have such bad experiences while driving though OT? That is outrageous. Was it a kid or an adult that sprayed you with a water gun? That was over 17 years ago. The area still has many homeless people and people who just seem to prefer to hang in the streets but now there are more families and and a few not so scary black people..

Old 12-01-2008, 11:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,519 times
I do some work in the overtown area, greater bethel ame church is one of my customers. I have never experienced a problem in overtown at any time of the day or night even when I have thousands of dollars worth of tools exposed to open view.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:18 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Osborne View Post
I lived In the Overtown area for about a year in 1991. I rode a moped and was assulted on a regular basis. Dodging beer bottles, being clipped in traffic, being called cracker. Once while stoped at a light I was squirted in the side of the head with a supersoaker. I soon discovered routs to avoid Overtown. And Liberty City. Staying out of these areas eliminated all those problems with the exception of the traffic assults. I guess a white guy on a moped is just to tempting.
My advice ? Don't drive a moped.
Oh, I just remembered . I Have a good friend that was in a serious accident near Africa Park. By the time help arrived he had been relieved of all valuables. He is Cuban.
Good luck.
Lol c'mon, is this serious? I mean who the hell carries a super soaker with them out on the streets that just happened to catch u at that exact moment waiting at a redlight? lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami