Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 09:24 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times

Advertisements

Worth going to? What about Coral Gables? Coming down to MIA in less than 2 weeks for a week. Usually hang around South Beach & Downtown MIA.

What are the main streets in The Grove & Coral Gables? Is it a safe area too?

What are the main differences between Coconut Grove & Coral Gables

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Coconut Grove is where the bars and nightlife are, you could also go to South Beach. From what I hear (I am from Michigan, but probably moving the Coconut Grove this fall) you want to stay on the east side of it by cocowalk because if you go too far west you are in the ghetto and could easily be mugged.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:32 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,769 times
Coconut Grove is worth going to in my opinion. There are many unique shops and restaurants (few chain stores) and it's always lively at night. I don't think you could really spend days touring through the Grove, but it would be worth it to come in for an evening. The main intersection of the Grove is right around Grand Avenue and Virginia Street. I can't say much about visiting the Gables...same kind of thing only on a larger scale...lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. The Gables is very safe...you should have no problems there!

Old 03-13-2008, 02:14 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
coconut grove = wasted potential. But its worth seeing I guess. You can go back and tell your friends you went.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
coconut grove = wasted potential. But its worth seeing I guess. You can go back and tell your friends you went.
We come to MIA 3-4 times a year at least but have never been to The Grove.

Have been to Las Olas in FLL. Anything like that?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:54 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
The Grove is a great place to go and have dinner or lunch at, then walk around afterwards. Just stay where the shops are and you will be fine.

Another place to see is on Key Biscayne, Bill Baggs State Park Main Page - Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park » Florida State Parks

As far as Coral Gables, is probably one the prettiest part of Miami. You can go to Miracle Mile and walk around there and have dinner, many great restaurants. The Biltmore Hotel is also located there, they have tours on some day, look online for schedule. Venetian Pool is also in Coral Gables Coral Gables Venetian Pool

Old 03-13-2008, 02:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
the 7

Ummm a little different than los olas. Coconut grove covers more area than Los Olas I think, but Los Olas has shops all along it. Where as the grove has shops here and there, with a lot of empty stores or trinket type shops. It really could have been something nice, I don't know how they screwed it up (shrugs)

Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 AM

546 posts, read 2,148,246 times
Coconut grove has bars/restaurant/nightclubs and is geared for the younger crowds mostly as it surrounds University of Miami. It gets good thursday - saturday nights if you're into partying.

Coral Gables is the "tony" area, very upscale and very expensive. It's got boutique shops and bridal places on Miracle Mile so as a 20 something year old male I have no use for it. If you really want to check out the Gables go to Fritz and Franz Bierhaus for great german beer and brats.

Hope you have a great time!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Coconut grove has bars/restaurant/nightclubs and is geared for the younger crowds mostly as it surrounds University of Miami. It gets good thursday - saturday nights if you're into partying.

Coral Gables is the "tony" area, very upscale and very expensive. It's got boutique shops and bridal places on Miracle Mile so as a 20 something year old male I have no use for it. If you really want to check out the Gables go to Fritz and Franz Bierhaus for great german beer and brats.

Hope you have a great time!
Might check it out. Have been to MIA numerous times...several times a year.

Doesn't seem like my scene either. Space & South Beach are more my scene.

Have been to Key Biscayne...nice. I like Sunny Isles (Haulover) & The Shops at Bal Harbour too! 11 days till MIA warmth & Sunshine!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM

546 posts, read 2,148,246 times
If you like Space check out Purdy Lounge on SOBE on Sunday Night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami