Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 PM

26 posts, read 29,139 times

Advertisements

Thoughts? Looks pretty good but my opinion doesn't have enough stations. I know it's designed to be express but it would be nice if there would be more stations.

https://www.curbed.com/2017/12/13/16...-miami-orlando

https://gobrightline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 04:33 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore123 View Post
Thoughts? Looks pretty good but my opinion doesn't have enough stations. I know it's designed to be express but it would be nice if there would be more stations.

Boondoggle and/or loss-leader for something else.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:02 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore123 View Post

That is what Tri-Rail is for.

The trains look pretty good in test runs :

Old 12-14-2017, 06:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I am all for rail transit, love the European system, but I am not sure this will fullfull any need, I mean just how many people are commuting from WPB to Miami/vice-versa during rush hour? And if so, that their final destination is near the stations?

For those who have used rail in Europe, the city layout as are other transit connections are great and easy to use, whereas that is lacking in S.FL.

Point is; the train needs to not only meet or exceed the ease, utility, and cost of someone driving, but greatly exceed the ease, utility, and cost of someone driving.

I do see how though people would use it in the future, say buying a lower cost house in PBC, and take the train to work in Miami, kind of like how they do in the DC area.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 PM

26 posts, read 29,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am all for rail transit, love the European system, but I am not sure this will fullfull any need, I mean just how many people are commuting from WPB to Miami/vice-versa during rush hour? And if so, that their final destination is near the stations?

For those who have used rail in Europe, the city layout as are other transit connections are great and easy to use, whereas that is lacking in S.FL.

Point is; the train needs to not only meet or exceed the ease, utility, and cost of someone driving, but greatly exceed the ease, utility, and cost of someone driving.

I do see how though people would use it in the future, say buying a lower cost house in PBC, and take the train to work in Miami, kind of like how they do in the DC area.
Agree. It seems this service will be mostly for tourists.

I also really love European system. Big thing which is missing in Miami is east-west connection. Brigtline/Metrorail/Tri-Rail are all north-south. Also, there should be at least one line connecting downtown with Miami Beach.

Milan:

Vienna:

Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Looks great, but I wonder how many idiot aggressive drivers in South Florida will be killed trying to speed through the tracks. I just hope their deaths don't injure anyone on board the trains.

On a side note, I think once the Orlando station opens, it will become quite popular.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:04 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
... I am not sure ... that their final destination is near the stations?
In my view, with few exceptions, this is exactly why Tri-Rail is pretty much useless.

Moreover, my understanding is that Brightline will cost more and take about as long as a car ride between Miami and Orlando, and then some with the added burden, in the vast majority of cases, of having to take another means of transport to the station and again to the final destination.

Really, what is the point?

Tourism? Why not just rent a car?

Well, maybe one day it can be integrated into an all-automated system, including driverless cars.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:46 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:

Downtown Fort Lauderdale is developing quite nicely with lots of residential units. I am pretty sure there will be a lot of people who would like to live in downtown Fort Lauderdale within a walking distance from the Brightline station and commute to their offices in downtown Miami.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Downtown Fort Lauderdale is developing quite nicely with lots of residential units. I am pretty sure there will be a lot of people who would like to live in downtown Fort Lauderdale within a walking distance from the Brightline station and commute to their offices in downtown Miami.
I moved from San Francisco to Florida because I was tired of urban living, but if I ever miss it, I'd much rather live in a condo in downtown Fort Lauderdale, especially with bright line right there. This is why I'm bullish on Bright Line vs most rail systems... their stations are actually very well chosen, they aren't 30 minutes outside of cities or main transportation hubs.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:54 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,827,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Looks great, but I wonder how many idiot aggressive drivers in South Florida will be killed trying to speed through the tracks. I just hope their deaths don't injure anyone on board the trains.

On a side note, I think once the Orlando station opens, it will become quite popular.
Is it a bad thing if they will be naturally weeded out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami