Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,052 times

Advertisements

I live in Columbus and lost my job last fall. I am interviewing with some positions in Miami and some in Cincinnati. I live in Upper Arlington Ohio which is an upscale and safe suburb close to OSU. There are some robberies but there has been a single homicide (murder suicide) in the last 27 years. I live in a condo that costs around $100k. My job paid around $85k. I can get offers in Cincinnati for around $120k. Housing would probably be around $150k to $200k. I am seeing similar offers in Miami around $100-$120k. There is no income tax in Miami. I have to move somewhere. My extended family is in Columbus but wants to retire to Florida. So I could be the first person moving there.

Are there any neighborhoods like Upper Arlington (safe, low crime, close to downtown), is Kendall similar? Kendall is where this job is. I don't want a commute that is more than 15-20 minutes so I was trying to find places around there. Rent seems expensive. I would probably renting, how much should I ask for in terms of salary to have a similar cost of living? I know the weather would be nice. I don't expect a condo for $100k but I don't really want to pay more than $200k. I am asian and would like to somewhere there are asian restaurants/grocery stores.

Thoughts, Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 06:47 PM

772 posts, read 1,151,691 times
I'm from Columbus too. Can't really answer a lot of your questions because I rent downtown and haven't ventured out too far yet. Also, have lived here for only a month.

The one thing I will say is that there seems to be a small Asian population in Miami-Dade county. I came out here from Sacramento, CA and that was one of the first things that stood out.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:29 AM

35 posts, read 48,222 times
There are some Asians in the North Miami Beach area. Perhaps Check out Aventura or the Eastern Shores part of North Miami Beach. It may be too much of a hike to Kendall, though. Good luck!

Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 AM

874 posts, read 908,313 times
There are Asians in Pembroke Pines and Doral as well, but there are few Asian grocery stores around. And if you're going to work in Kendall, you should probably live out there too, traffic is ridiculous. Expect to pay around $200K for a decent 2 bedroom condo, or $300K+ for a townhouse.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 37,070 times
Miami and its suburbs are not as cheap as people think. There is not a large Asian population in Miami. And the traffic in Miami will quickly limit you in terms of places to live. Kendall is very residential, toned down and pretty low in crime. For total housing decency, Kendall can be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami