Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
As most Europeans, I find Miami one of the only interesting cities in the US
I can certainly understand that. I was actually going to write something to the effect that the reasons Europeans like Miami have to do largely with its non-cookie cutter atmosphere as a whole. The same chain restaurants, same stores, same conversations, same everything really make many U.S. cities BORING. I'm not saying Miami doesn't have aspects of that as well, but it does have something more, which appears to the cause for so much negativity.

The OP's last line, so adored by some of the people here is old. I've been to Miami only a handful of times, but even I know that phrase is from an old bumper sticker. I assume the OP knew it, as she used quotes. Sorry to let down the rest of the clowns here by informing them that the phrase is nothing new.

Best of luck to wanttomoveeast. I too like the idea of living in Miami. Looking forward to the day when my family and I can swing it financially. In the meantime, we'll be enjoying North Carolina until the armies of malcontents like the OP finally overrun this place and spoil it!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Well, you live in Carrboro. These types of people generally don't like places like that. They even have *gasp* Hispanics there, y'kno??

Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,636 times
Quote:
At the grocery, the cashiers are clearly annoyed they have to switch from Spanish to broken English to accommodate ME. Isn't this backwards? I get tired of feeling like an outsider because I was born in the U.S. and only speak English.
I have never encountered that attitude from a cashier in the 20 plus yrs of living in the state of Florida. No American citizen should be made to feel guilty because they dont know how to speak another languge besides english. Those cashiers are 100% wrong.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
At the grocery, the cashiers are clearly annoyed they have to switch from Spanish to broken English to accommodate ME. Isn't this backwards? I get tired of feeling like an outsider because I was born in the U.S. and only speak English.

I haven't felt this way yet. But I can see it happening here to someone. I love making the people switch to English (gives them practice at the english language).

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Well, you live in Carrboro. These types of people generally don't like places like that. They even have *gasp* Hispanics there, y'kno??
Yeah, that's true. Carrboro is not the most "standard" place in America. Not too many chain restaurants (Arby's and Wendy's are the only ones I can think of).

We certainly do have quite a few Hispanics here, legal and illegal, and they're all quite welcomed by the community. Signs in Spanish everywhere, taco trucks selling hot, authentic Mexican food right out the back, etc...

I actually rather like it, although it is quite small and slow-paced, which has taken some getting used to for my wife and me. We're still trying to decide if we like it enough to stay or if we want to move on to something bigger and more metropolitan. Hence my reason for hanging out on the Miami forum.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Carrboro and Chapel Hill are the only areas I would consider in NC (except further west). I don't like the overly liberal politics (I discussed my views before) but those areas are not bland and flooding with malcontent Floridians and New Yorkers living on the zero lot line looking for the promised land. Any place that gives birth to the Ben Folds Five has to be good.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Carrboro and Chapel Hill are the only areas I would consider in NC (except further west, like Asheville). I don't like the overly liberal politics (I discussed my views before) but those areas are not bland and flooding with malcontent Floridians and New Yorkers living on the zero lot line looking for the promised land. Any place that gives birth to the Ben Folds Five has to be good.
The liberal politics actually aren't that oppressive here (I'm very much a libertarian at heart and feel welcomed). It's mostly limited to the visible retired hippy gang, vocal anti-war types, idealistic college students, etc. Nothing really in-your-face about it. The only place the liberal politics makes itself really felt is the hostile attitude in Orange County to wide-scale development, which I suppose helps keep it from becoming bland like so much else around here.

The rest of the area, especially Cary, is filling up with malcontents. Quite sad actually, as they'll soon find themselves in the same environment they were fleeing (maybe with a better climate, though).

Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM

41 posts, read 169,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I have never encountered that attitude from a cashier in the 20 plus yrs of living in the state of Florida. No American citizen should be made to feel guilty because they dont know how to speak another languge besides english. Those cashiers are 100% wrong.
I am hispanic and 99.99% of the time, I am spoken to in English everywhere, even in Hialeah. I think what tics some people here is that there are alot of affluent hispanics who have a piece of the american pie, while they are just working stiffs just barely making ends meet. and it just eats them up inside.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:36 PM

90 posts, read 352,968 times
I think the original posters comments were great. Nice work! I dont care what the rest of the lemmings on here say. Welcome to America!!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 9,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
I think the original posters comments were great. Nice work! I dont care what the rest of the lemmings on here say. Welcome to America!!

Sergio .... I guess life must be pretty boring in Rogers , Arizona ?

You do not seem to have much going on other than posting garbage on an internet forum ... thanks for all the wonderful insight you provide .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami