Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:07 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,531 times

Advertisements

I noticed in a lot of places surrounding Miami or South Florida for that matter, residential areas don't seem to have curbs?

Typically in any part of the country, there are curbs/sidewalks , but lots of places in Miami I noticed don't.

Another thing I find weird is that many people just park straight on the grass, instead of in there designated parking spot.

You can do your own research on google maps to see for yourself. Anybody know why?

I think it looks horrible people parking on there grass and residential areas with no curbs.

I wonder why this is so normal in many places in South Florida / Miami ?

Here is an example of what I am talking about :

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,657 times
I live in a suburb, and although there are sidewalks, there are no curbs. Curbs in a suburban residential neighborhood can actually look kinda cheap.

Also, some people on my block park their cars on the grass (in addition to parking on the driveway) but that's only because their driveway doesn't have enough space for all their cars.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:53 PM

147 posts, read 312,722 times
I've noticed the same thing some time ago. I though have no idea why. The car thing may have something to do with changing population in Miami. I guess those houses were designed for less people than they currently held but Latinos sometimes can't afford larger houses so they live with their parents or so (and that makes three or four cars per family instead of two).

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,085 times
It's a result of local stormwater management techniques. Curbs are often avoided to allow from stormwater to run off onto the swales (which are often slightly lower than the roadway), where a good portion of it percolates into the soil. This reduces the load on the drainage system, and reduces the level of pollutants entering the wastewater system which would then have to be removed.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:06 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
It's 100% better that way even though my neighborhood has curbs, no sidewalks there is no where to fit them. It's natural, looks better and as noted above makes a lot more sense with our heavy downpours. Let the water flow naturally into the ground etcs.. Why have storm water run off. Areas with flooding problems tend to have more curbs.

As for the cars, there is the crazy possibility that people have more cars than space or people have family and friends over. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyy View Post
I've noticed the same thing some time ago. I though have no idea why. The car thing may have something to do with changing population in Miami. I guess those houses were designed for less people than they currently held but Latinos sometimes can't afford larger houses so they live with their parents or so (and that makes three or four cars per family instead of two).
Latinos really? Lets be serious now. Miami is home to the most sucessful and wealthy Latinos in this country. You can just say lower income people or even poor people. Are you seriously saying Latinos? Plenty of other people are poor as well. You're ridiculous. Also kids at 16 have cars, or a grandmother might have a car who lives with her children and grand children etc.. Not saying having a lot of cars does not mean many people living there but being poor does not need to the be the reason and in Miami Latinos are stereotyped into being poor because that could not be farther from the truth.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
It's 100% better that way even though my neighborhood has curbs, no sidewalks there is no where to fit them. It's natural, looks better and as noted above makes a lot more sense with our heavy downpours.
I disagree it looks cheap and tacky, you can still have a curb and having people properly parking in there space and NOT have any water problems. It looks very poor planned, and crowded in a lot of the innerland. A lot of the houses need updating as well.. I say they just get a bulldozer and start from scratch again... They should gentrify all the ghetto/tacky parts and make it look more like Weston.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
I disagree it looks cheap and tacky, you can still have a curb and having people properly parking in there space and NOT have any water problems. It looks very poor planned, and crowded in a lot of the innerland. A lot of the houses need updating as well.. I say they just get a bulldozer and start from scratch again... They should gentrify all the ghetto/tacky parts and make it look more like Weston.
I can agree with the gentifrication but the last thing I want Miami to look like is Weston and the rest of suburbia land. Don't get wrong Weston is nice, and there is a place for suburbia. But making a whole county look like it is not a good thing.

I think no curbs makes it look less planned. More natural like its suppose to be. We just have different taste. You will find plenty of both on Miami though.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Another thing I find weird is that many people just park straight on the grass, instead of in there designated parking spot.
One reason is simply because you can. Due to the climate, you can grow tough grasses here that can withstand heavy wear & tear. In most parts of the country, the grass that they grow can't handle cars.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,310 times
Quote:
I can agree with the gentifrication but the last thing I want Miami to look like is Weston and the rest of suburbia land. Don't get wrong Weston is nice, and there is a place for suburbia.
Don't kid yourself. Every single place in Dade County that has spare cash has the cookie cutter Disney look. The only exception is the small part of South Beach which has enacted laws preventing developers from doing that.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I can agree with the gentifrication but the last thing I want Miami to look like is Weston and the rest of suburbia land. Don't get wrong Weston is nice, and there is a place for suburbia. But making a whole county look like it is not a good thing.
I'd rather have inland Dade County look like Weston than some 3rd world cess pool. It has a GREAT downtown and lots of other great places, but the residential areas for your average family are highly undesirable.

Quote:
I think no curbs makes it look less planned. More natural like its suppose to be. We just have different taste. You will find plenty of both on Miami though.
I think having no curbs again, makes it look tacky, poor planned, especially when you have cars parking on the grass. That's exactly what Mexicans do , in other parts of the country, instead tho, they park there lowriders in the front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami