Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 10:27 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times

Advertisements

Also, my one concern about Miami is I hear about how materialistic it is. How true is that? I am pretty down to Earth. I will say I have sophisticated tastes, by I don't let material things own my values. I value good healthy connections with good people that are down to earth as well.

Mind you I am coming from Chicago, which has that Midwest laid back vibe. I am a city boy through and through. I don't need people to be friendly towards me when I am out and about.

With that being said I am Latino. Puerto Rican, Italian and Portuguese mix. I speak spanish and portuguese. And I do value my latin culture a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 11:12 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Frimp...Miami is huge...it has everything...it's materialistic if that's what you want...and it's not if you don't want it
I saw your other post BTW...

Taking your job with you...your salary...where your head is at...I think you would love Miami
..rent for a year in the Grove and test drive it..safe for a newby...highly walkable...plenty to do...and close to everything else...and absolutely beautiful

There's tons of gays in Miami....they are just not the gay that had to have a "gay lifestyle"...that's the ones that moved to Wilton...the rest of them go anywhere and do anything

Probably the biggest gay bar in Miami is the Home Depot on 8th street....LOL

edit: and probably the best kept secret in Miami is the huge gay population in east little havana

Last edited by Corrie22; 12-03-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-03-2019, 12:05 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...rowth.amp.html

Old 12-03-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Frimp...Miami is huge...it has everything...it's materialistic if that's what you want...and it's not if you don't want it
I saw your other post BTW...

Taking your job with you...your salary...where your head is at...I think you would love Miami
..rent for a year in the Grove and test drive it..safe for a newby...highly walkable...plenty to do...and close to everything else...and absolutely beautiful

There's tons of gays in Miami....they are just not the gay that had to have a "gay lifestyle"...that's the ones that moved to Wilton...the rest of them go anywhere and do anything

Probably the biggest gay bar in Miami is the Home Depot on 8th street....LOL

edit: and probably the best kept secret in Miami is the huge gay population in east little havana
Thanks for this info. Yeah I am really considering the move. I am getting to the point where I just want something new. I go every year to Miami, be it just for vacation, but I love it, the vibe and everything. I know visiting is one thing and living is another. But won't know what it's like to live there until I do.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I can't read it, as I am not subscribed.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Thanks for this info. Yeah I am really considering the move. I am getting to the point where I just want something new. I go every year to Miami, be it just for vacation, but I love it, the vibe and everything. I know visiting is one thing and living is another. But won't know what it's like to live there until I do.
oh for crying out loud...LOL.....at your age and where you are in life...pull the plug and do it

I still think the Grove for you, at least for your first move....from the Grove you can practically walk to all those other places...including Brickell...and Uber it all too.. and also Metrorail

..and you'll be renting...you can always move back

funny...when I was about your age...I moved to a job in Chicago...hated it!!! weather almost killed me...and I wasn't used to dirty

Old 12-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
oh for crying out loud...LOL.....at your age and where you are in life...pull the plug and do it

I still think the Grove for you, at least for your first move....from the Grove you can practically walk to all those other places...including Brickell...and Uber it all too.. and also Metrorail

..and you'll be renting...you can always move back

funny...when I was about your age...I moved to a job in Chicago...hated it!!! weather almost killed me...and I wasn't used to dirty
The thing is I just moved into a new place in September and everything I bought was brand new and have spent the last few months really getting my place all done nicely. Finally I am settling in. So I would move most likely at the end of my least perhaps August of next year, if not December next year. Have to plan it out.

Luckily my dad has a place in Jupiter so I am thinking of first spending a month there and look at apartments in Miami on the weekends.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:26 PM

that sounds like a real good plan....I would look during the week, it's easier to catch people during the work week

Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 AM

415 posts, read 651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I think I would want to live in Midtown, Edgewater, MiMo, or perhaps Coconut Grove. Wynwood would be cool but it seems like it's not as residential as one would think.
Could you elaborate more on why you picked these area. From everything I've read the Grove does not sound like a good option for you and despite what has been mentioned it is not reasonably walkable.

Midtown/Wynwood are just around the corner from one another. Wynwood is newer/hipper and the place where you will find companies like Vice. On the other hand it has very limited living options (although that is changing). for example They just finished Wynwood 25. If you want action (and traffic) literally right outside your lobby door then this would be a good fit. Midtown is the suburban counterpart to Wynwood. So you have the same condo/apartments over top of retail but the retail will be drastically different. Target, Ross, Footlocker, Five guys, etc. It will be less busy at night as there aren't a bunch of clubs/bars and most the retail dies off at 10 pm. with the exception of a few restaurants.

Edgewater is sort of a place that you pick for location but there isn't much in the actual neighborhood. So for example when I lived in Brickell many of my friends who couldn't afford Brickell rent stayed here but were only a quick 5 - 10 min uber ride away. There isn't much to walk to. They've been building newer luxury buildings on the water side with an occasional restaurant but there just isn't enough retail located in one spot to create an actual destination worth walking to.

Just off Edgewater is the Art's and Entertainment District (A&E). Withing the past two years they're have been multiple buildings that have gone up making this a central location with decent rents for a newer building. The vibe here is almost the same as Edgewater just bit closer to downtown.

Mimo (Upper East Side) is more for the professionals moving into the stage where they are having kids but don't want to move far out and be stuck in traffic. I have 3 sets of friends who live here with kids. There aren't many condo as it is mainly single family homes.

You left out Brickell/Downtown both of which you should consider being at least for your first spot as they are essentially the center of the city.

Brickell is the finacial district and is more established. They have built a ton of condos and recently City Centre which is an outdoor mall. If you want to live in a condo/apartment in a walkable neighborhood this is probably the best place in Miami to do it currently. The drawback to Brickell is that it tends to be the most "sterile". You don't get the grittyness that you would see in a NY or Chi. Everthing is new and not a lot of mom and pop place.

Downtown is much less developed than Brickell. You'll run into more riffraff and except for a few newer buildings will have a more outdated supply of unit. However they are currenltly building a new outdoor mall called Worldcenter that when complete will probably be a better day to day retail location than City Centre.

Below is the submarket map. I mentioned everything but Overtown (you don't want to live there).

Old 12-05-2019, 05:59 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer1000 View Post

Midtown/Wynwood are just around the corner from one another. Wynwood is newer/hipper and the place where you will find companies like Vice. On the other hand it has very limited living options (although that is changing). for example They just finished Wynwood 25. If you want action (and traffic) literally right outside your lobby door then this would be a good fit. Midtown is the suburban counterpart to Wynwood. So you have the same condo/apartments over top of retail but the retail will be drastically different. Target, Ross, Footlocker, Five guys, etc. It will be less busy at night as there aren't a bunch of clubs/bars and most the retail dies off at 10 pm. with the exception of a few restaurants.

Edgewater is sort of a place that you pick for location but there isn't much in the actual neighborhood. So for example when I lived in Brickell many of my friends who couldn't afford Brickell rent stayed here but were only a quick 5 - 10 min uber ride away. There isn't much to walk to. They've been building newer luxury buildings on the water side with an occasional restaurant but there just isn't enough retail located in one spot to create an actual destination worth walking to.

Just off Edgewater is the Art's and Entertainment District (A&E). Withing the past two years they're have been multiple buildings that have gone up making this a central location with decent rents for a newer building. The vibe here is almost the same as Edgewater just bit closer to downtown.

Mimo (Upper East Side) is more for the professionals moving into the stage where they are having kids but don't want to move far out and be stuck in traffic. I have 3 sets of friends who live here with kids. There aren't many condo as it is mainly single family homes.

You left out Brickell/Downtown both of which you should consider being at least for your first spot as they are essentially the center of the city.

Brickell is the finacial district and is more established. They have built a ton of condos and recently City Centre which is an outdoor mall. If you want to live in a condo/apartment in a walkable neighborhood this is probably the best place in Miami to do it currently. The drawback to Brickell is that it tends to be the most "sterile". You don't get the grittyness that you would see in a NY or Chi. Everthing is new and not a lot of mom and pop place.

Downtown is much less developed than Brickell. You'll run into more riffraff and except for a few newer buildings will have a more outdated supply of unit. However they are currenltly building a new outdoor mall called Worldcenter that when complete will probably be a better day to day retail location than City Centre.

Below is the submarket map. I mentioned everything but Overtown (you don't want to live there).
Wow man, great post! Something I would have written almost verbatim, saved me a ton of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami