Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 11:48 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That really makes zero sense to cancel. Are the related events scattered around canceled? Crowds? We still host numerous cruise ships. What about the Calle Ocho festival?

If it was part of an overall lock down, i would understand, but Miami has numerous things with numerous people from all over going on now, during Ultra, and after.

Edit, I see they are looking at Calle Ocho now about canceling. I still say unless they do a wide spread crack down on all events, there is no point to it.
Ive been to 5 ultras... people come form every country around the world ..you rub against so many people there.. its like a breeding ground for COVID19... one person can infect that entire festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 01:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Ive been to 5 ultras... people come form every country around the world ..you rub against so many people there.. its like a breeding ground for COVID19... one person can infect that entire festival.
Yes, I know what Ultra is, only seen the thing year after year, along with the dozens and dozens of concerts and music events I have been to.

However, if this was the only crowd event in Miami, I could understand, but it is not, there are tens of thousands of cruise line passengers coming and going every day, the malls, SoBe, and others are packed with crowds, sporting events, school events, other events, are all going on. The Ultra was cancelled so late, many people are coming to Miami anyway since the airline ticket and hotel is non refundable. Cancelling Ultra is just a "pat on the back, look what we are doing", all the while ignoring the million other crowded events taking place very single day across the metro area, involving people from numerous countries.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:04 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Quote:

The question is though where do you end this? This could concievably go on for a few years if they are unsuccessful getting a vaccine which is a distinct possibility. I think by mid summer people will check out mentally on this and events will just go on as scheduled.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:30 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,282,661 times
I think they've already checked out....or just didn't even check in

For the past 3 days I've been all over Miami, South Miami, Homestead, Florida City, Key Largo....

..I have not seen one person doing anything different...not even wiping their hands

Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I think they've already checked out....or just didn't even check in

For the past 3 days I've been all over Miami, South Miami, Homestead, Florida City, Key Largo....

..I have not seen one person doing anything different...not even wiping their hands
I don't think case count is high enough quite yet for people to become immune to the news. There are some signs though such as case count in Germany/France is where it was when flights got banned to Italy/SK/Iran. All of a sudden though 600 does not seem high so no discussion of ending flights there

Old 03-07-2020, 12:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Yet this still happens;

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...south-florida/

Old 03-07-2020, 12:27 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I checked it out for an hour and a half and just got back. Good crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Old 03-10-2020, 09:10 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Plus, so many people here live multi generational.

It wouldn't take anything to infect tens of thousands of people.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:01 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
People still need to get out and do things. Being stuck in their house will drive everyone stir crazy. People still have to live their lives...

Old 03-14-2020, 07:00 AM

1,168 posts, read 778,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
People still need to get out and do things. Being stuck in their house will drive everyone stir crazy. People still have to live their lives...
If we end up getting placed on lockdown we'll have no choice. Suddenly the difference between "need to" and "want to" will become more clear.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but I support any measure that will help save lives and won't put a strain on our health care resources. It's important to remember that it's not just about whether or not you'll get sick but possibly causing someone else to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami