Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 07:46 PM

76 posts, read 99,778 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My cousin is thinking of relocating to Miami and I'm helping him out in the search. He's self-employed, and looking for a place to party.

-Budget $1500-1700
-Centrally located where its easy to walk everywhere.
-The closest to nightlife clubs, bars, restaurants.
-Studio or one bedroom.
-Building aimed at young professionals or college grads, no families, no retirees.

Follow up question: He actually stayed in South Beach and while he liked the location he was a walk away form a bars and clubs. However, the building he was staying had many rules. He was disencouraged of bringing guests (to bring a guest was a very long processes that could take weeks), he couldn't do small get together(we tried to invited some ladies to come party with us but the security was no noise, no overnight guests) and guests couldn't use the gym/swimming pool.

Are most buildings in South Beach this way? Or was it a unique to this building? Apparatetly, some owners where renting their apartment and the leasers where finding subleasers to stay(through Airbnb) and it made the HOA to become very strict with its policies. The HOA didn't like people subleasing the aparments. Moreover, He noticed that the building was filled with families and older wealthy retirees who had created a strict culture.

Last edited by AdamRanger; 12-22-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 08:25 PM

361 posts, read 837,612 times
I would say South beach if he likes the beach and the more relax lifestyle, downtown Miami really feels much more fast paced big city with crazy traffic these days, so if he likes that downtown (brickell to design district) is better.
Both areas have nightlife though ...
When it comes to the rules it really depends on the building. Where did you stay in south beach ?

Old 12-23-2020, 05:41 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Probably Downtown for that budget. You can stay at a place like the Loft 2 and use the rooftop pool or rent out the club room for a party. Brickell will be too expensive.

Wynwood and Design District doesn't have many places to live still and the ones that are there are going to be overbudget.

The area around bayshore and the park (17th or 18th) might work because those buildings give you free internet/cable/parking (opera tower, Quantum).

Keep in mind nice high rises don't let people just come and go as they please. You'll still need to have your guests buzzed up from security or have them come up with you.

AirBnb was already tightening restrictions with HOAs before COVID, then the lockdowns started and banning gatherings. As a resident, you'll be fine and won't be so restricted on using amenities or having guests over

Old 12-23-2020, 07:47 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I wouldn't touch South Beach in it's current state.

Brickell would be better although I think his budget is too low.

His expectations of living somewhere with no retirees or families is unrealistic. He's looking for something that doesn't exist

Old 12-23-2020, 02:02 PM

@himain
What is going on with South Beach?

@Marc
I appreciate it. Could you expand on Wynwood? I'm curious why it seems to have a less stellar rep?

@djmanu
Can't remember exactly but it was one of those strict building close by the a lot of restaurants.

@Everyone
Do you guys think retirees and families are the norm in Miami? Young people don't really live there since its too expensive. They only go there to party during the weekends? I'm starting to believe this is the case, but I'm not sure.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
@himain
@Everyone
Do you guys think retirees and families are the norm in Miami? Young people don't really live there since its too expensive. They only go there to party during the weekends? I'm starting to believe this is the case, but I'm not sure.
Retirees are definitely not the norm in south beach and even less in downtown (they are in north beach, sunny isles, etc), I would say 40% are families and 60% others (singles,couples,professionals,tourists...).

Old 12-24-2020, 10:39 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,201,891 times
South Beach had had high profile crimes and shoot outs in recent years surrounding major events that bring a lot of undesirables from out of town. The Miami Beach city government is trying to get more upscale tourists than the drunk 20 year old spring breakers or wanna be thugs and gangsters.

There are a lot of older people and retirees on Miami Beach. Certainly, the real estate market for single family homes and high priced condos skews older. The thing is they are like ghosts because they may only be down a few weeks or months out of the year and this is there second or third vacation property.

The younger population actually living in Miami Beach is more likely to be renting small studios in those old small cramped Art Deco apartments.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:12 PM

@djmanu and logybogy
Thanks for your replies. I see whats going on he apartment my friends and I rented must have been impacted by thugs/gangsters hence he heighten security. I research on Loft 2 looks very cool. Feel free to recommed me similar building both in downtown and South Beach. Also I agree with you guys Wynwood is only for visiting, it seems its less safe there.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamRanger View Post
@djmanu and logybogy
Thanks for your replies. I see whats going on he apartment my friends and I rented must have been impacted by thugs/gangsters hence he heighten security. I research on Loft 2 looks very cool. Feel free to recommed me similar building both in downtown and South Beach. Also I agree with you guys Wynwood is only for visiting, it seems its less safe there.
I lived at the flamingo point in south beach and it was mostly young people so I would look at that building...
It's a huge complex but half of it is actually under construction so it may be less crazy than before (used to be party central) The neighborhood is awesome and the bay view is amazing if you like that ...

Old 12-26-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmanu View Post
I lived at the flamingo point in south beach and it was mostly young people so I would look at that building...
It's a huge complex but half of it is actually under construction so it may be less crazy than before (used to be party central) The neighborhood is awesome and the bay view is amazing if you like that ...
I see. How are the guest rule there? 1-For instance, can you let a friend stay for a few days with you or do you need to ask for permission? For instance, if a spring breaker young women wanted to stay with you for a few days would they be cool with that or would you have to register your guest and it'll take a long time.

Last edited by AdamRanger; 12-26-2020 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami