Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 09:12 AM

126 posts, read 219,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Well that is one main reason for sure, and Miami's economy is still this way even though it has made some strides in the past decade (still relies too heavily on the consumption/foreign condo owner economy tho). But another reason as to why it gets "hate" is that the city is well.... insanely overrated. Now I get for those who have lived here for 3-5 find it "exciting" and "the best city ever" and all that, but if you lived there as long as I have (2 decades and I still have an apartment there. No this does not make me a foreign condo owner either) then you realise that on an urban level, Miami is decades behind other cities (lack of transport, little green space, pedestrian level is abysmal in core areas, etc.)

Wages are insanely low in respect to COL, QOL is not the best, crime is increasing, it is also a very conservative place for a major city. The increase of Trumpism the last 4 years in the city is concerning, considering they're okay with U.S democracy dying so their "president" can serve a term he fairly lost.

Sure taxes are low as hell, but when factoring in property tax, school tax, COL, transport costs, groceries, electricity, etc.. you're actually left with a lot less than in places with higher taxes. Of course, another negative (at least for me) is lack of universal healthcare or social programs/tax credits which go a long way in savings.

The neighbourhoods are also incredibly tacky. SoBe lost its magic years ago, Brickell looks exciting but on an urban/pedestrian level, boring. Wynwood lost the magic touch in 2015, now it's insanely expensive, amazing art was demolished for boring condos, and fewer than 10 art galleries remain (compared to 70 during the heydays). My gripe with Miami is that it builds the city around trends rather than having a truly authentic neighbourhood by and for the locals. It has very few compared to other cities and it's really sad to be honest. When I was working in municipal politics in Miami, I had a vision for this (which got rejected as foreigners developing all available land was more lucrative than a sustainable and pedestrian friendly city).

But I will say this, definitely do love the Caribbean/Latin American vibe the city has. It definitely is not the only city in the America's that has this vibe at all, but in the United States it does do it the best. It's not the most globally diverse city, but if you're into the Latin American vibe then yeah, Miami should do it. If you're rich and dig the whole luxury lifestyle, Miami is also a good place since it's a city based around consumption and who holds the most shiny assets. And of course, warm weather and the beaches, I'm sure everyone loves that so it makes sense as to why people would want to move there. The city needs a lot of improvement (and has to make it a more inclusive city for everyone and not only 1%ers) but I still have some hope.

I'm sure I'll get a few people disagreeing with me here (or straight up mad, which is okay) but again, 2 decades of living here (including both 2005-07, 2012+ booms) + working in municipal politics and I know the city like the back of my head, what I say does hold water and I'm not afraid to flex a dose of reality (and bragging rights)
Thanks for this. The input seems very insightful to me. Being from Boston I and also concerned about transportation, changing politics and green space etc. You make some great points that may lead me to re-think living in Miami-Dade full time but I just can't stand winter any more. I'm thinking of purchasing a condo in Central Coral Gables but waiting a few months to see how things unfold after Covid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 09:41 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Interesting comments.

Prior to moving to Miami I lived near or on the outskirts of 3 of the most important cities in this country—NYC, SF, and LA.

It’s obvious Miami does not have a corporate presence like these and a few other cities—but was that news to anyone growing up or before moving here?...let’s not pretend that Miami does not have any good paying professional jobs in medicine, law, finance, import/export, real estate/development or even sales. Just like I wisely opted not to study Art History in college, why did some not study a field that led to greater and greater paying opportunities? What stopped you? Scholarships and financial assistance is still offered last time I checked.

By my count, Miami is one of only 3 year round warm weather oceanfront cosmopolitan cities (LA, and to a lesser extent, San Diego, given fewer “big city” amenities) in this country—hence, Marketing 101 dictates higher prices than, say, Nags Head or Charleston. Stop blaming a city if your income stream does not meet your expenses—live within your means—and/or one can always move to a different city to start their career, hopefully better paying (as I did, 2700 miles to be exact) before returning or moving here. Companies are always looking for talented people.

Anyone can clearly see Miami is far better now than it was 20-40 years ago. In fact, I must have visited 25-30 times from the late 70’s and didn’t really care for it before coming on a regular basis in 2013 and noticing the dramatic improvements it had made. This was quite the opposite of where I moved from, California, which has had its share of problems since that same time and is heading towards the direction Miami was back in the 80’s (while maintaining even higher COL with a deteriorating QOL).

Yes, transplants like me (and from other countries) help increase traffic and costs—but we also demand and attract higher quality establishments and events... did 1980’s Miami have NYC and European high end restaurants (some Michelin star) opening up outposts (not talking watered down mega franchises found in 30 other cities) here?....did Miami 2-3 decades ago have high end retailers found only in NYC, Chicago and LA?....would Miami have become the only North American city to host Art Basel without some progress, in part fueled by transplants bringing wealth with them?...let’s not discount progress others have helped bring into helping transform Miami into a better—not worse off—city.

Now, if you want to complain about douche bros who spend $10K on exhaust systems for their Chevy Cruz or the awful drivers, count me in.

I see Miami being hated for being like a “NY Yankees of cities”—it is more dependent upon/imports more “free agent” transplants than other cities at the expense of developing more home grown talent. Then again, being a no state income tax place also attracts some. Like Miami, the Yankees have plenty of haters ...to his credit, I admire the efforts of Mayor Suarez to change that. He is pursuing tech companies to relocate here but having more success with hedge funds and banks given the existing international banking presence in place.

Finally, there also is a hidden dog whistle hatred towards Miami from narrow minded people because it is a minority majority City. In some cases, not hidden at all.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-18-2021 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 10:36 AM

126 posts, read 219,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
I see Miami being hated for being like a “NY Yankees of cities”—it is more dependent upon/imports more “free agent” transplants than other cities at the expense of developing more home grown talent. Then again, being a no state income tax place also attracts some. Like Miami, the Yankees have plenty of haters ...to his credit, I admire the efforts of Mayor Suarez to change that. He is pursuing tech companies to relocate here but having more success with hedge funds and banks given the existing international banking presence in place.

Finally, there also is a hidden dog whistle hatred towards Miami from narrow minded people because it is a minority majority City.
Thanks elchevere. Also interesting and helpful (and passionate) comments. Taking into account the recent comments from you and djesus007 I believe it paints a good picture for me that Miami has come a long way from the 70s/80s and is now a vibrant city but has much room for further improvement. I'm sure that can be said for a few U.S. cities.

My reaction to both of your comments remind of the old Gilligan's Island scene! ... "the professor is right!" ... "the skipper is right!"

I agree with the dog whistle comment. I'm and older white guy and Miami being a minority majority city is what draws me to the area. I don't speak much Spanish but I'm looking forward to taking lessons and immersing myself in the culture.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:39 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Well that is one main reason for sure, and Miami's economy is still this way even though it has made some strides in the past decade (still relies too heavily on the consumption/foreign condo owner economy tho). But another reason as to why it gets "hate" is that the city is well.... insanely overrated. Now I get for those who have lived here for 3-5 find it "exciting" and "the best city ever" and all that, but if you lived there as long as I have (2 decades and I still have an apartment there. No this does not make me a foreign condo owner either) then you realise that on an urban level, Miami is decades behind other cities (lack of transport, little green space, pedestrian level is abysmal in core areas, etc.)

Wages are insanely low in respect to COL, QOL is not the best, crime is increasing, it is also a very conservative place for a major city. The increase of Trumpism the last 4 years in the city is concerning, considering they're okay with U.S democracy dying so their "president" can serve a term he fairly lost.

Sure taxes are low as hell, but when factoring in property tax, school tax, COL, transport costs, groceries, electricity, etc.. you're actually left with a lot less than in places with higher taxes. Of course, another negative (at least for me) is lack of universal healthcare or social programs/tax credits which go a long way in savings.

The neighbourhoods are also incredibly tacky. SoBe lost its magic years ago, Brickell looks exciting but on an urban/pedestrian level, boring. Wynwood lost the magic touch in 2015, now it's insanely expensive, amazing art was demolished for boring condos, and fewer than 10 art galleries remain (compared to 70 during the heydays). My gripe with Miami is that it builds the city around trends rather than having a truly authentic neighbourhood by and for the locals. It has very few compared to other cities and it's really sad to be honest. When I was working in municipal politics in Miami, I had a vision for this (which got rejected as foreigners developing all available land was more lucrative than a sustainable and pedestrian friendly city).

But I will say this, definitely do love the Caribbean/Latin American vibe the city has. It definitely is not the only city in the America's that has this vibe at all, but in the United States it does do it the best. It's not the most globally diverse city, but if you're into the Latin American vibe then yeah, Miami should do it. If you're rich and dig the whole luxury lifestyle, Miami is also a good place since it's a city based around consumption and who holds the most shiny assets. And of course, warm weather and the beaches, I'm sure everyone loves that so it makes sense as to why people would want to move there. The city needs a lot of improvement (and has to make it a more inclusive city for everyone and not only 1%ers) but I still have some hope.

I'm sure I'll get a few people disagreeing with me here (or straight up mad, which is okay) but again, 2 decades of living here (including both 2005-07, 2012+ booms) + working in municipal politics and I know the city like the back of my head, what I say does hold water and I'm not afraid to flex a dose of reality (and bragging rights)
I lived and worked in Miami Dade for 43 years. I agree with your comments and observations.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:53 AM

I, too, am White....ok, if we are being PC, non Hispanic White (aka gringo...lol)

I was drawn here by the international vibe (I have traveled extensively throughout Latin America) and the fact I connect better with more direct and aggressive East Coast (and So. American) people than more laid back and sensitive West Coast people. Being from NY, Miami and SoFla was always treated and looked at as a “sixth borough”, common to visit and move to, and though I retired (early and in good shape) it offers many great restaurant and adult entertainment options that I am able to take advantage of while avoiding some of the negatives others highlight and experience...and, yeah, I guess I’m guilty of being shallow because my body has become acclimated to living in a year round warm weather climate with an ocean (38 years and counting)—which cannot be bought or imported elsewhere.

If one is struggling and desires more of an Anglo experience, there are other places within SoFla, the state, and elsewhere. Miami, like some other cities, is not for everyone and has some unique qualities (good and bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
Thanks elchevere. Also interesting and helpful (and passionate) comments. Taking into account the recent comments from you and djesus007 I believe it paints a good picture for me that Miami has come a long way from the 70s/80s and is now a vibrant city but has much room for further improvement. I'm sure that can be said for a few U.S. cities.

My reaction to both of your comments remind of the old Gilligan's Island scene! ... "the professor is right!" ... "the skipper is right!"

I agree with the dog whistle comment. I'm and older white guy and Miami being a minority majority city is what draws me to the area. I don't speak much Spanish but I'm looking forward to taking lessons and immersing myself in the culture.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-18-2021 at 11:10 AM..

Old 01-18-2021, 11:13 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:

Honestly, it's good to read multiple perspectives. You have me, dude who lived there for 2 decades and saw the transformations (good and bad) + all the political b.s and you have someone who has lived elsewhere and moved to Miami a few years ago. Ultimately, the decision is in your hands, but like I tell everyone, study a city well before you move. Don't judge just based off a few vacation visits and pictures online, study everything. It is a lot more work, but totally worth it in the end.

Also Spanish lessons will be beneficial as you'll integrate better in certain parts of the city. Although I was never totally comfortable speaking it, it was easy for me to learn since I'm Italian, so it is very similar. But definitely don't skip out on Spanish lessons haha.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:31 AM

^ ^

And do NOT move here without a job offer or job transfer!

Old 01-18-2021, 11:48 AM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
...and there's over 6 million Miamians....that are not on CD pizzing and moaning...and most all of them are having a ball

Old 01-18-2021, 02:04 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
Who cares what some stuck up New Yorkers think? They can enjoy the higher taxes and crime under their regime living in a depressed and shrinking region.

The proof is in the population and census numbers. Florida is one of the two fastest growing states in net gains and New York is one of the fastest losing states in net losses.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:25 PM

396 posts, read 708,313 times
Quote:
I've recently retired somewhat early and plan on moving to the Miami area in 2021. Whenever I tell friends and family of my imminent move from the Northeast I receive a mix of feedback...none of which is very positive. I get everything from eyerolls to gasps etc. "Florida huh?" or "I'm not a Florida person" are other common responses. WTF is a "Florida person" anyway??

I consider myself an analytical person who does not make rash decisions without thinking it through. I find myself trying to explain all of the reasons why it's the right move for me but it mostly falls on deaf ears. I also feel the need explain that it's Miami that I'm interested in and not another area... but It's all Florida to them. I just chalk it up to them being misinformed but it is getting tiresome.

I'm trying to figure out where this bias is coming from. Perhaps it's the occasional crazy sensationalized news stories that get national attention or maybe the political climate being different from the Northeast. Either way I'm looking forward to some warm winters in a thriving international metropolis.

What's the deal with the bias? Do any transplants have a similar experience?
I completely hear you. We have gotten a ton of derision, including political heat! We have had several friends roll their eyes and ask if we are sure we want to live next to Trump supporters. To be clear, we are as liberal as they come, but that question is so offensive to me. Prejudice is prejudice.

We also have gotten a hard time about the weather, Hurricanes, to “Florida man/woman” meme.

.....to which I say, F them all.

As we speak, we are in a rented condo and I am looking at a bright sunny day, with the water in the bay glistening. What are they looking at? Gray and gloom. Thanks but NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami