Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM

44 posts, read 49,114 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment complex on Brickell Avenue that is being completely renovated. This may seem fine, but these renovatons have been taking place since October of 2006, or nearly 18 months. Last August, right after I renewed my lease, they shut our pool down for renovation. It is May and the pool is still full of crap and there is no end in sight for the completion of pool renovations. If I had known my pool would have been shut down nearly the entire duration of my lease extention, 12 months, I would not have renewed my lease. Also, the gym equipment in our tiny exercise room has deteriorated since I moved in, with about half of it not working. I was wondering if there is anyone on here that can help me identify some kind of recourse to retrieve monies LOST. I pay $1800 a month for an apartment that is worth $1300, at best, and with no amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Surely not in Miami. *rolls eyes*

I'm no attorney, but I am in a real estate-type position and would suspect there is little you can do. I actually had something similar to me happen once before where I signed a lease at a place that included a hot tub, only to find out when I moved in that the hot tub didn't work. Even after numerous calls to the landlord, they never fixed it in the 12 months I lived there. I told them that the only reason I signed the lease there was because of the hot tub (I was paying a little extra for the amenity), but they didn't care.

You might check your lease, which probably says the landlord is responsible for maintenance for these items. Since they're obviously not being property maintained (as required in the lease), that would probably give you grounds to break your lease and move out. I seriously doubt you could get any money back though.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 PM

How do I post pictures on here from my hard drive? I'll show you some shots of my luxurious dump. I see there is a picture button but I click it and it does not work.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:51 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times
Stop dealing with these rip off dirtbags who overcharge for rent, and provide *****ty accomodations. Just STOP. And then you let them keep on charging you and you dont get what you want. Quit being a pushover and move to a place that actually keeps up on their *****

Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM

551 posts, read 3,122,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Stop dealing with these rip off dirtbags who overcharge for rent, and provide *****ty accomodations. Just STOP. And then you let them keep on charging you and you dont get what you want. Quit being a pushover and move to a place that actually keeps up on their *****
If only it were that easy. I'm sure Marlin Darlin didn't know she was dealing with a slumlord when she signed the lease. It's easy to get sucked into a place on Brickell (or wherever) with tons of amenities, a luxurious lobby, and views of the Biscayne Bay. I guess slumlords come in all shapes and sizes.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:38 AM

you're right...they miami herald and new times doesnt do much to help either...they allow them to post ads that is absolutely puffery

Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM

87 posts, read 307,382 times
Well, that sucks. I wonder what the language of the lease is? I mean, is what they promised ( amenity-wise) on there? Cause if they promised use of a pool, "excellent" fitness facility, etc, it would seem there woudl be recourse. If they don't keep their side, why should you keep the lease?

Problem is that to get an attorney COSTS, so fighting it would likely COST, unless there was some renter's rights group you could contact and get some free or minimal-cost advice. That, I don't know about.

My problems tended to be the opposite: We were indulgent landlords (my husband is the quintessential super-nice, too-nice guy and I'm a worrywart who fixed things ASAP cause I didn't want someone hurt or upset.) We figured out we just weren't cut out to be landlords (cared too dang much) and sold the small property for a low amount just to be rid of the worries. I notice the property is not kept up like we kept it up (landscaping, carpets, etc) and the rent is considerably more.

Take a really good look at that lease for any language that seems to give you an out (what they are promising, what they are NOT delivering.) And start googling for South Florida rental rights, law advice sites.

Best of luck with that.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Darlin' View Post
How do I post pictures on here from my hard drive? I'll show you some shots of my luxurious dump. I see there is a picture button but I click it and it does not work.
Upload them via imageshack.us

Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
If only it were that easy. I'm sure Marlin Darlin didn't know she was dealing with a slumlord when she signed the lease. It's easy to get sucked into a place on Brickell (or wherever) with tons of amenities, a luxurious lobby, and views of the Biscayne Bay. I guess slumlords come in all shapes and sizes.
I'm actually male. "Marlin Darlin'" is the name of our family's boat. I'm going to post some pictures of my $1,840/month dump now that the thread has sparked interest.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Ridiculous, move out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: