Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2021, 12:36 PM

194 posts, read 190,515 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'll be visiting Miami from out of state for a weekend soon and was wondering if I should rent a car or Uber. I'll be staying in Brickell.

Is that area easy to get around via walking and ride share? It will be a very short trip so I'm thinking I'll be downtown for the most part and maybe spend a day or evening in South Beach.

And regarding travel to and from South Beach (assuming I'm staying in Brickell) what would be the drive time on a typical weekend night? Are we talking 30 minutes or 2 hours due to traffic? I've never been to South Beach but in my mind I have images of sitting in traffic for hours on a Saturday night trying to get in or out.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 12:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 961,336 times
Don't bother renting a car if you just plan on going to the downtown area or South Beach. It's all quite close and getting an Uber is easy. It's not all that walkable unless you're talking just walking around Brickell, but Downtown and South beach are a short Uber trip.

From Brickell, South Beach is like a 10 minute drive in normal traffic conditions on a weekend.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:24 PM

19 posts, read 30,689 times
There is a shortage of rental cars right now and rental prices are very high.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rental-...avel-rebounds/

Old 05-11-2021, 01:43 PM

194 posts, read 190,515 times
Excellent info! I experienced the high prices on rentals when I was making travel arrangements earlier. Seems like it will be Uber for me. Looking forward to the trip!

Old 05-11-2021, 02:31 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I would skip the rental, use Uber or Lyft.

Brickell through downtown is walkable, there is a free metro mover also, and those little electric scooters to rent. It is hot and humid, a short walk potentially will have you sweating like a pig, so plan accordingly.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:44 PM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Not sure exactly what dates you will be here but another possible fun option of getting to South Beach from the Brickell/downtown area is via Poseidon Ferry. Cool way to travel on the water with great photo opportunities.

Service is currently down and is now scheduled to resume June 7 (was supposed to re-start today). Departs from the Hyatt Regency downtown (just across a drawbridge from Brickell) and drops you off at the Bentley Bay Marina (about a 15 minute walk to the beach or Lincoln Road Mall).

https://poseidonferry.com/

Old 05-12-2021, 08:00 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Not to mention the $30+ day in parking at your hotel/condo building unless it has an assigned spot the owner is giving you. That plus the price of cars right now make it silly. Download the LIME or SPIN apps and grab those little scooters by the minute to get around brickell/downtown. Take the free metro mover around the city. Then uber or just take the $2 city bus to South Beach. Uber ride from Brickell to Sobe will be 20-30 mins depending on time of day. Bus takes under an hour.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:57 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Not to mention the $30+ day in parking at your hotel/condo building unless it has an assigned spot the owner is giving you. That plus the price of cars right now make it silly. Download the LIME or SPIN apps and grab those little scooters by the minute to get around brickell/downtown. Take the free metro mover around the city. Then uber or just take the $2 city bus to South Beach. Uber ride from Brickell to Sobe will be 20-30 mins depending on time of day. Bus takes under an hour.
FWIW, fare collection has been suspended on all metro buses since the pandemic began, although I believe that is set to end June 1st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: