Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 PM

10 posts, read 29,887 times

Advertisements

What are some of good master planned communities in South Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 11:28 PM

483 posts, read 1,545,226 times
A more historical planned commuinity is Coral Gables, but more modern master planned communities are Miami Lakes and Weston. Apparently Opa-Locka was also one but it has panned differently, Miami Springs too.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM

763 posts, read 3,533,563 times
Coral Gables for old 1920's master planning is my favorite of all the master planned areas, but Miami Lakes is very nice as well as Miami Springs. Weston is like the Stepford Wives, but the actual planning is very nice. I'd also like to add in Parkland, just west of Deerfield Beach, is another big master planned area.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:31 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
I actually think Coral Gables is more stepford than Weston although any decent planned community is going to show a resemblance. I guess that's the consequence for relative peace of mind and a good location. When I sold my place in Weston I decided staying right here would be the best for now because of the convenience to all of the highways. Miami Lakes and Parkland offer a similar convenience although they are more centralized to different spots. Coral Gables isn't as convenient but that's probably due to it's age, and I think the charm that it offers is well worth the headache of having to take Le Juene Rd or US1 anywhere, since that's an asset that Parkland and Weston will probably never offer.

Wait, Parkland is master planned? I don't think it's any more master planned than the whole of west Broward. It just fits into the grid pattern with various infill. It's very nice but I don't think it's a defined master planned community like Miami Lakes or Weston. It used to be pretty rural and they just started building houses...

Old 05-12-2008, 12:46 PM

44 posts, read 49,267 times
I like how you classify how well planned an area is based on how 'stepford' it is. Aren't white picket fences against the code in Coral Gables? Pickup trucks, RV's, men's toys are all illegal in that snob factory.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,492 times
If it passes, Parkland will be the newest one. It's a 1,000 acre development proposed just outside of the Urban Development Boundary, near the Kendall-Tamiami Airport. It will include 3 schools, a hospital, and all types of housing.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
I can hear Tallrick cringing right now... and he's right for doing so, as master-planned communities are making South Florida boring and generic.

Well, don't forget about the City of Atlantis, which is an entirely gated city.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM

763 posts, read 3,533,563 times
They just need to stop building suburbs not just here in Miami but throughout the U.S. How many cookie cutter homes do we need in this country?!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:10 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Cities have "cookie cutter" homes too (ever been to Chicago or NYC?), and some suburbs in other countries look more like our cities. Also, some of our own suburbs aren't "cookie cutter" either in architectural styles. Don't jump on the typical anti-suburb bandwagon, think deeper, because without development around a core, there would be no core in the first place. We can't all just live on top of each other "downtown" with nothing else surrounding it. What we NEED to do is starting moving away from the post-WWII style development and towards more efficient or sustainable development. The way that we do it is flawed.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
LOL Compelled knows my anti-sprawl rant; I think Palm Beach County (Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington, etc.) is unsustainable development at its worst! Coral Gables is sutainable, Wellington is not. Also, notice that older, established areas like Coral Gables tend to have more old money and are overall LESS ostentatious than places like Weston and Doral, where people love to show off their bling (no matter that their $800,000 home looks like all of the other 1,000 homes in their gated community). Coral Gables is the most beautiful suburban city in Florida and I am pretty confident that nothing will match it in my lifetime. THAT is a nice planned community.

Last edited by Marlin331; 05-12-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami