Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,053 times

Advertisements

We might be moving to the Miami area in 10months.Does anyone have any reccomendations for a nice family town w/in 40minute drive to Miami and great schools.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
Honestly Miami isn't a great place to raise children. I have said this many times, many of my friends with children have left to raise their children out of state. Those that are still here, either one parent doesn't work and/or nannies are involved. So if both parents have to work here in South Florida, I really wouldn't suggest moving here.

With that said, if you can look at broward county and palm beach county first. if you are going to look at Miami Dade, look at these areas only: North Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, The Roads, South Miami, Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, East Kendall (East of the 874 Expressway), The Falls area. The best schools are Magnets schools.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Don't forget Miami Lakes and many areas of West Kendall as well!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,612,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I wouldn't recommend anywhere in West Kendall. The area is entirely overbuilt with walled, gated, non-walkable communities and almost nobody there speaks English. I would recommend Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Miami Shores, Aventura, and Coconut Grove in Miami-Dade, that's it!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,676,352 times
Believe it or not, there are some very nice parts of West Kendall. I would say that MOST people in West Kendall speak English; it just should be noted that there are lots of recent middle class immigrants that don't speak it well. Also, there are a lot more non-Hispanic white people out there than many of you think. The West Kendall area, as a whole, is about 25% non-Hispanic white, and many of the "Hispanics" there are middle class white Cubans who have been there for years (and who speak fluent English). The new arrivals tend to be from Colombia, Nicaragua, and Venezuela.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,612,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Believe it or not, there are some very nice parts of West Kendall. I would say that MOST people in West Kendall speak English; it just should be noted that there are lots of recent middle class immigrants that don't speak it well. Also, there are a lot more non-Hispanic white people out there than many of you think. The West Kendall area, as a whole, is about 25% non-Hispanic white, and many of the "Hispanics" there are middle class white Cubans who have been there for years (and who speak fluent English). The new arrivals tend to be from Colombia, Nicaragua, and Venezuela.
Being able to say "ha-llo" "yes" and "no" does not constitute knowing how to speak English. Also, the new arrivals (that I'm proud of you for mentioning) are far more plentiful that you'll allow yourself to believe.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:30 PM

292 posts, read 956,934 times
Coral Springs is exactly 40 min away- in Broward. Great schools- great area for families.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 24,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Believe it or not, there are some very nice parts of West Kendall. I would say that MOST people in West Kendall speak English; The new arrivals tend to be from Colombia, Nicaragua, and Venezuela.
Yes there are. I think there's lots of green space in this area. The elementary schools are great as is Hammocks Middle. I'm not so sure about Mas Canosa.

I'm a fairly new arrival from NC. Trust me, we speak a form of english.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,647,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The biggest problem with West Kendall (besides the neverending suburban sprawl housing and strip malls), IMHO is the traffic. As the crow flies it is not far from where the jobs are in Miami, but as the car drives you are going to be pulling your hair out knowing that it takes you 30 minutes to go 5 miles. In order to go east from West Kendall, you have no choices other than surface roads that are near capacity at just about any time of the day, and lots of traffic lights. Very poor urban planning.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,308,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
... but as the car drives you are going to be pulling your hair out knowing that it takes you 30 minutes to go 5 miles. In order to go east from West Kendall, you have no choices other than surface roads that are near capacity at just about any time of the day, and lots of traffic lights. Very poor urban planning.
Avoid 88th street like the plague. It seems most Miamians are like lemmings and they all take that street. 104th street is much faster. Even 72nd street is better, although it seems more people are discovering that one. Yeah, the traffic will still be bad but no worse than US1. Actually, I'm sure US1 is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami