Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 09:16 AM

7,415 posts, read 6,574,118 times

Advertisements

Accessed 1-95 North from the Calle Ocho on ramp in the Brickell area this morning and merged on the highway when I saw some guy riding in a middle lane on a bicycle (not scooter or moped—a bicycle). Clearly not a member of the Mensa Society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 02:10 PM

786 posts, read 628,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Accessed 1-95 North from the Calle Ocho on ramp in the Brickell area this morning and merged on the highway when I saw some guy riding in a middle lane on a bicycle (not scooter or moped—a bicycle). Clearly not a member of the Mensa Society.

I've seen teens skateboarding on I-4 coming home from work at 3 am. I first thought drugs, the saw the phones glaring in my rearview and figured it was a Tic Tok or Internet Challenge thing.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:58 PM

I’ve also seen those 3 wheel Slingshots on the 95 doing 75MPH….wonder what the survival rate is for those involved in a highway accident….less than 5%?

Old 06-17-2021, 10:08 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,404,571 times
It's pretty much a lawless society. Cops are spread thin, and basically going call to call. Calls on the expressways belong to FHP, and they are basically a skeleton crew, so calls hold for hours. Many of them not wanting to engage people any longer for fear of being fired and/or arrested. Crime on the rise. It is what it is.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:20 AM

It would take an unrealistic and unprecedented amount of hiring under any circumstance for FHP to be stationed at all on ramps in Miami to prevent the rare—not common—instance in which an isolated idiot rode his bicycle on a highway. I was already on the highway driving, by myself, and not in a position to make a phone call at the time. I did end up calling FHP when I arrived at my destination 30 minutes later to report what I witnessed, the dispatcher picked up right away (after a system prompt), but he noted too much time had elapsed to send a patrol car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
It's pretty much a lawless society. Cops are spread thin, and basically going call to call. Calls on the expressways belong to FHP, and they are basically a skeleton crew, so calls hold for hours. Many of them not wanting to engage people any longer for fear of being fired and/or arrested. Crime on the rise. It is what it is.

Last edited by elchevere; 06-18-2021 at 02:39 AM..

Old 06-18-2021, 07:33 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,506,905 times
Quote:
It would take an unrealistic and unprecedented amount of hiring under any circumstance for FHP to be stationed at all on ramps in Miami to prevent the rare—not common—instance in which an isolated idiot rode his bicycle on a highway. I was already on the highway driving, by myself, and not in a position to make a phone call at the time. I did end up calling FHP when I arrived at my destination 30 minutes later to report what I witnessed, the dispatcher picked up right away (after a system prompt), but he noted too much time had elapsed to send a patrol car.
I have called 911 a couple of times from my car. Once I saw a man punching a women when they were both stopped on the side of a road. Once there was a mattress in the middle of a busy highway on my drive from DFW to Waco. They thanked me for the calls even though I probably should have called a non-emergency number at the time but since I was driving, I didn't know those numbers.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:05 AM

I’m actually pleased with response I get from my local Miami police…while I wish there was more traffic patrol enforcement to ticket those motorists who cannot comprehend big words such as “no turn on red” and almost hit me when I’m crossing the street, I realize there are other, higher priorities.

I almost always get a live person answering the non emergency number when I call in and the police do a good job interacting with the public from my perspective.

Contrast this with the last City I lived in—San Diego. There was much less street presence (many were underpaid and fled to higher paying LA), I got a voice message when calling in 90% of the time, and the city relied more upon helicopter patrols which (1) were called in AFTER a crime had already been committed and (2) often circled overhead for 20-30 minutes at a time—many times in the middle of the night that woke me up and/or kept me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I have called 911 a couple of times from my car. Once I saw a man punching a women when they were both stopped on the side of a road. Once there was a mattress in the middle of a busy highway on my drive from DFW to Waco. They thanked me for the calls even though I probably should have called a non-emergency number at the time but since I was driving, I didn't know those numbers.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:33 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
Not me, I want FHP to do other things, and aside from the damage to my car, I have zero care about the idiot on the bicycle getting hit. My only issue the idiot would cause someone to swerve and hit someone else.

Miami area though is so swarmed with more severe crime, they cannot even comprehend paying attention to other things. I am usually shocked when I see a stop sign enforcement day going on.

The suburbs are a nightmare in regards to speeders/reckless drivers. I wish the county would start hammering down on morons who thing neighborhoods are places to drag race, do 50mph through.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:35 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,422,665 times
Quote:
I’m actually pleased with response I get from my local Miami police…while I wish there was more traffic patrol enforcement to ticket those motorists who cannot comprehend big words such as “no turn on red” and almost hit me when I’m crossing the street, I realize there are other, higher priorities.

I almost always get a live person answering the non emergency number when I call in and the police do a good job interacting with the public from my perspective.

Contrast this with the last City I lived in—San Diego. There was much less street presence (many were underpaid and fled to higher paying LA), I got a voice message when calling in 90% of the time, and the city relied more upon helicopter patrols which (1) were called in AFTER a crime had already been committed and (2) often circled overhead for 20-30 minutes at a time—many times in the middle of the night that woke me up and/or kept me up.
Yea, I have no complaints about when contacting them and their response, but they are very reactive in this regards, and wish they were proactive more. One cop can just sit on about any random neighborhood street and catch tons of speeders.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,324,340 times
Quote:

My goodness. I want to laugh, but this is scary bad judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: