Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 10:08 PM

520 posts, read 844,510 times

Advertisements

I apologize for the redundant nature of these threads, I know it's annoying to read the same content repetitively. But what can I do, need some input and this is a great resource.

I am so excited about moving to Miami, so many of my desired conditions rolled into one. However, through my research I am getting a little alarmed. There is so much negativity about Miami, people seem to be frustrated with it. The traffic, expensive real estate and competitive rental market with rather steep costs, superficiality, bad education... I thought I was running away from all that... I visited Miami a few times, and so much of it appeals to me, so this is a little surprising.

So let me get into it. We have two kids, 6 and 4 year olds. My husband will work in the UofM Health Care System. Both of us have more conservative values and looove the heat, the beach, the humidity and more relaxed, slower pace of life. I am from the former Soviet Union, so Cubans are close to my sentiments about politics. I speak other languages and look forward to improving my Spanish. I really enjoyed conversing with Miami residents and always found them to be forthcoming. So these areas are covered.

Our rental budget is up to $4k for a 3br. We are reluctant to buy right away because we are not sure of the neighborhoods yet, but given how hight the rents are and how much they want upfront, I am wondering if it's better to buy after all! We want mainly a safe neighborhood with some playgrounds or parks, obviously access to the necessary shopping. I have always dreamt of a pool in the building or in the house, I love swimming as a form of exercise.

I've been researching neighborhoods and so far have come up with the usual ones like Coral Gables, the grove, pinecrest. I have also toured Aventura a bit, it's ok enough, and I hear the schools are not bad, but it might be a long commute for my husband. Are there any others you can recommend? I have even considered Ft. Lauderdale, perhaps that would be a better fit? It's still close enough to Miami, seems more chill and has better value.

I would really appreciate your help in sorting all my of jumbled thoughts and questions. Thanks!

Last edited by Entangled; 08-22-2021 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 01:54 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post

We have two kids, 6 and 4 year olds. My husband will work in the UofM Health Care System.

Our rental budget is up to $4k for a 3br.

I've been researching neighborhoods and so far have come up with the usual ones like Coral Gables, the Grove, Pinecrest.

Are there any others you can recommend?
Most people, myself included, will tell you to live as close as possible to places of commute (work, school, etc.). Since place of work is UofM Health Care System, one would assume that it is on UM campus or nearby.

In my experience and to my knowledge, best nearby public elementary district school is Pinecrest, best shopping is in Dadeland, across US1 from Pinecrest.

My impression is that public district schools in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are a bit dicey, except Sunset Elementary in the southern part of Coral Gables which is a mixed public district/magnet school. Private schools in all three are excellent.

Not sure if $4k is enough for 3br in these three areas, but I assume that you have done your own research and are in touch with a realtor.

Three-months advance payment is pretty much the standard here. I rent a unit and that is not negotiable, an instant deal-breaking red flag if somebody even mentions it.

Hope this helps, a little.

Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2021, 04:20 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
U Health job is as or more likely to be located in the Health District, north of Loan Depot Ballpark and the 836 in the general vicinity of NW 13th - NW 15th St and NW 12th Ave.

Agree, $4K for a 3BR might be tight for now with the current tight inventory situation.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-23-2021 at 04:35 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Most people, myself included, will tell you to live as close as possible to places of commute (work, school, etc.). Since place of work is UofM Health Care System, one would assume that it is on UM campus or nearby.

In my experience and to my knowledge, best nearby public elementary district school is Pinecrest, best shopping is in Dadeland, across US1 from Pinecrest.

My impression is that public district schools in Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are a bit dicey, except Sunset Elementary in the southern part of Coral Gables which is a mixed public district/magnet school. Private schools in all three are excellent.

Not sure if $4k is enough for 3br in these three areas, but I assume that you have done your own research and are in touch with a realtor.

Three-months advance payment is pretty much the standard here. I rent a unit and that is not negotiable, an instant deal-breaking red flag if somebody even mentions it.

Hope this helps, a little.

Good Luck!
That’s just nuts! Apts on the upper west side go for that much now. I guess everyone had the same idea of escaping, but are so many people ok with paying so much for real estate? It’s a little nuts.

How is Aventura?

Last edited by Entangled; 08-23-2021 at 06:58 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 08:05 AM

How are Pembroke Pines and Palmetto Bay areas? And Aventura of course.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:39 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,445,455 times
Palmetto Bay is good but you will be dealing with alot of traffic.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:11 PM

9 posts, read 8,445 times
Aventura may be a good bet for you.
You can probably find a 3-bedroom condo unit for 4K. If your husband is working in the medical district as elchevere mentioned, it should be about 30-40 min commute from Aventura. Not bad in Miami standards.
Also, there are lots of Russian speaking people and pretty good schools here in Aventura too.
Let me know if you have more specific questions about Aventura and good luck with your move!

Old 08-23-2021, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 12,531 times
I am also contemplating moving to Miami. I found Aventura to be the most affordable among good neighborhoods. With 4K monthly rental budget I would buy townhouse in Doral as a starting point though. New construction - 300k. More space & not too expensive. You do need space.
Also, for rent, check out 215 park apartments. Hallandale beach. New & super nice.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:35 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,321,497 times
Quote:
Both of us have more conservative values and looove the heat, the beach, the humidity and more relaxed, slower pace of life.

record-scratch

Old 08-24-2021, 06:17 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,358,454 times
Quote:
That’s just nuts! Apts on the upper west side go for that much now. I guess everyone had the same idea of escaping, but are so many people ok with paying so much for real estate? It’s a little nuts.

How is Aventura?
I personally hated the Aventura traffic more than any other traffic in Miami. Rich people, working class people, young people, foreigners, uber drivers all mixed into one racing to get to/from work.

Schools are great in Aventura, you'll find plenty of rental options in those buildings for you with playgrounds, a great area to walk, shopping is excellent, and not far from the beach.

Coral Gables is the best bet but I think the $4k/mo budget for a home/townhome might be tough. You may have to settle for a condo and right now, only 1 on the market in all of the gables and its $4500 (I went up to $4500 search for you) 1805 Ponce De Leon Blvd # 1210

Nothing for rent in Coconut Grove currently - that will be few and far between. The elementary school you can walk to is actually good, not bad so there's that. Plus its a very cool/trendy place to live.

There are 12+ options in Aventura right now so that may be where you end up. Just make sure he's in the 'hospital district' and not on the UM Campus in the South Gables. If its the latter, the commute will be miserable for him.

nothing in Pinecrest currently and its very far from the beach for you.

1 house for rent currently in Palmetto Bay: 14701 SW 87th Ct

Same though, far from the beach. But a nice area with great schools.

When are you arriving to Miami officially? That could determine availability too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami