Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:05 PM

93 posts, read 330,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I think it's utterly ridiculous that they would get insulted! THEN they would cry about the "racism and ignorance!"

But imagine if they were to try to guess where in Europe a white person's ancestors happened to come from?!
I do not know of any asians crying out about "racism." I think in the asian community (back home, don't see many asians here), we take it as a joke and laugh about the ignorance AROUND us and are content and proud of our ethnicity (but we don't express it as much as other races for example Puerto Ricans/Cubans/Jamaicans). Asians also seem to brush things off more often than other races (which the outside world mistakling takes it as weakness, but it's rather "its not worth the trouble" attitude). As a child, I have been called a ****, *****, what have you, do I care? No, but if I were called that now, I would probably put a lead through them, not because of WHAT they called me, but because of their ignorance, they need to be taught the hard way.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:10 PM

93 posts, read 330,019 times
CiXel, that's a great website! haha

And let your dreams of dim sum continue, not many asians will come here because of the main reason that "it's not nice enough." Notice all the asians you might see are located in Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Weston, and near Sawgrass (where the wealthier communities are). I sure miss korean BBQ restaurants back home (making it at home isn't the same).

Old 01-12-2007, 02:56 PM

442 posts, read 2,913,437 times
i just realized, that one any Govt Document, maybe even some job apps and probably other things that it said "race'
and there is
Caucasian
African-America
Latino'Latina/ Hispanic
Chinesse
so apprently
Hispanic is a race, according to anything you apply for

Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM

183 posts, read 568,032 times
when do you think they will put out a cell phone that when you speak english into it, the phone will translate and speak it back to the hispanic you're talking to? that's one for microsoft. would solve the entire language problem down there in florida.
oh, and i don't think a person who is irish with cuban, venezuela, haitian, jamaican, colombian or other latin/caribbean nationality, can be considered anything other than white and of pure irish stock. there are many of them down there in the islands and in latin america. their arrival there, along with other whites from europe, goes back several hundred years, hence the mulatto populations in those countries, when the white and black produced offspring. cuba's population breakout is:mulatto 51%, white 37%, black 11%, Chinese 1%. Jamaica is very different: black 90.9%, East Indian 1.3%, white 0.2%, Chinese 0.2%, mixed 7.3%, other 0.1%.
to the average miamian, those demos might seem familiar.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 PM

566 posts, read 2,059,235 times
So true...couldn't have put it better myself.

Mexico is huge. I've been to Mexico 4 times, as a tourist...and it's true, not all Mexicans are the images of the darker poor crossing the river to get here to earn a buck - tsk, tsk... poor people to have to have to leave their beautiful home. I'd love to go & whip that corrupt govt./police force in shape. Such a rich plentiful land with so many things to offer it's people...to have it's people swarming out like that - just terrible.
Anyhow, there are plenty of white people in Mexico, too - many of European ancestry due to the conquistador days. Lots of other races, too. Look at Salma Hayek...she's Mexican by birth but her mom is Italian and her dad is either Iranian or Lebanese...not sure which.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:00 PM

Tell me about it...I lost a huge chunk off my roof during Andrew (what a night!!!!) and I'm not black. We had no power for over 2 weeks. Nobody helped us...we had to fend for ourselves.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:12 PM

I honestly don't think they are being rude or hiding something - though, I wish more would make a better effort in speaking English, unbeknowest to some it would open up a whole world to them, too - and a world they happen to be sharing with the rest of us here in the U.S. Would help in this divisionism thing going on and make us all pals.
What I hear from most, even if they speak English, that it's easier to speak spanish. Their explanation is that in order to speak English they have to think what they want to say first in Spanish, then translate it in their minds before they open their mouths and then the issue that if they say something wrong or how will the accent be perceived by others. In other words it's complicated & way harder for them...so it's simple, they just go the easy route or what's more comfortable. For an English speaking person they just open their mouths and out comes the English....no thinking required, no worrying about mistakes, accents, etc.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Ohh...I don't know...one can't walk down in Miami and assume an Asian only speaks their language and has nothing in common with other groups here. I've personally known lots of Cuban chinese, and come across Peruvian Chinese, Guatemalan Chinese, etc. I even had a friend whom was Jamaican Chinese married to a Jamaican black man. I even went to a Chinese restaurant here on 8 st (calle ocho) once & it was a wonderful experience. They had the regular Chinese food found here in the U.S., but guess what?? Instead of fried Wonton you could order fried plaintains or commonly known as tostones....& instead of white rice you could get the mix of rice & beans, ha, ha....
The owners are Cuban-Chinese...that came here with the first wave of Cubans in the 60's. Imagine how confused these Carribean or Latin American Chinese feel...and they come down here & have to mark the Hispanic race box...ha, ha, ha....
Oh boy...what a mess....sigh...
You know...I know most feel like the odd man out...but guess what? Nobody is that different than the next. Most have the same feelings of not fitting in ...no matter what race, language we speak, where they come from or whatever...everyone is in the same boat & it's part of the Miami experience.

Last edited by lulu; 01-12-2007 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-12-2007, 06:59 PM

183 posts, read 568,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I honestly don't think they are being rude or hiding something - though, I wish more would make a better effort in speaking English, unbeknowest to some it would open up a whole world to them, too - and a world they happen to be sharing with the rest of us here in the U.S. Would help in this divisionism thing going on and make us all pals.
What I hear from most, even if they speak English, that it's easier to speak spanish. Their explanation is that in order to speak English they have to think what they want to say first in Spanish, then translate it in their minds before they open their mouths and then the issue that if they say something wrong or how will the accent be perceived by others. In other words it's complicated & way harder for them...so it's simple, they just go the easy route or what's more comfortable. For an English speaking person they just open their mouths and out comes the English....no thinking required, no worrying about mistakes, accents, etc.
"how will the accent be perceived by others". there is much ragging in the u.s. about foreign accents. you hear leno and letterman with it all the time. it's not cool when you are on the receiving end of it. it can be downright hurtfull and foreigners will hate you for it. americans sometimes act as though the way they speak is the only correct way, and what many americans do not realise is that they "talk funny" to the person overseas who is not used to hearing it, sort of in the same way that notherners view the texan drawl. if anyone should be used to foreign accents it should be the american, what with all the foreigners coming to america as migrants and visitors.
most people do not know they have an accent until it is brought to their attention by someone, either by way of a compliment or by making fun of the accent. do not be the one to bring someone's accent to their attention, it probably will not go down well, though they might not tell you.

Old 01-12-2007, 07:09 PM

No, it's not cool and downright hurtful. I know American English is even funny sounding to other Engllish speaking countries, including England.
Here lots are even embarrassed to even try the little they know for fear they might get laughed at or viewed as an ignorant...though, a bit more encouragement from others will definitely get them to build their self confidence and try harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami