Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times

Advertisements

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/16218289.htm (broken link) I remember him from UM because I always talk to any tall guys I meet. Didn't know who he was at first till a friend I used to bowl with there reminded me. Three inches taller than me and I can't forget anyone who made me feel short! I guess if you're born here and don't move, you'll end up poor or dead. Another casualty of a poverty-stricken county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 09:56 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Default sad-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/16218289.htm (broken link) I remember him from UM because I always talk to any tall guys I meet. Didn't know who he was at first till a friend I used to bowl with there reminded me. Three inches taller than me and I can't forget anyone who made me feel short! I guess if you're born here and don't move, you'll end up poor or dead. Another casualty of a poverty-stricken county.

OMG so sad- he was so young. I know where that Houston's is. Are there alot more drive by shootings lately? so sad.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:12 AM

19 posts, read 81,217 times
people make miami seem like HELL. is it seriously that bad these days in south florida? why do people even vacation there? the way people post on here you'd think the only person still residing in florida was jed bush

Old 12-15-2006, 01:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Actually here in the Keys people are complaining about tourism being down, We're a LOT safer than Miami but because of high property taxes and difficulty finding workers ( they bus them in from Homestead) our vacations are sky high in price. Only locals who drive down seem to be around, we don't see many of the snowbirds anymore.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:21 PM

929 posts, read 1,157,248 times
serene:
i moved here from los angeles and been here 2 years now
it is hell
for a long time i tried to justify it and look at the bright side of things but you cant when everyone is so rude and negative here.
its like living in paradise and everytime you talk to someone they punch you in the face.
i call it the anti-hawaii

Old 12-20-2006, 01:22 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
serene:
i moved here from los angeles and been here 2 years now
it is hell
for a long time i tried to justify it and look at the bright side of things but you cant when everyone is so rude and negative here.
its like living in paradise and everytime you talk to someone they punch you in the face.
i call it the anti-hawaii
As long as you weren't an L.A. hater before you moved I have sympathy for you!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM

dude. youre from manhattan beach?
2 years ago i was living in the apartment complex by manhattan beach blvd and aviation right behind the trader joes
my gf and i are flying back tomorrow to my parents by mira costa for xmas.

Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,120,348 times
****, people make Miami seem like a city where everyone's out to blast you with AK's or something. Miami is a good city, and as long as you aren't living foul you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Old 01-01-2007, 05:24 PM

so then explain why youre in jacksonville?

Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 PM

168 posts, read 763,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
****, people make Miami seem like a city where everyone's out to blast you with AK's or something. Miami is a good city, and as long as you aren't living foul you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
what was this chiropractor doing that was "foul" - having dinner?

i can't defend the miami of today. i lived there from 1951 (age three years) to 1984. my parent's neighborhood became unbearably crime ridden, unlike what it was in the 50s, 60s and even the 70s.

in the 80s, gunshots could often be heard going off in the neighborhood, car and business sirens would be blaring at 3 a.m., houses broken into, cars stolen, peepers, stalkers, the whole ball of wax.

once my dad died and i had to care for my mother (and after one particularly frightening incident at the house), i put the house up for sale, sold it for cash, and we got the hell out of there. she was in ill health with chronic problems and wanted to move back to her home state, which we did for two years until i could take it no more.

we then moved to gainesville and while it wasn't the gville of the mid70s of my college days, it surely wasn't miami. i could maneuver around in the city, be where i wanted in 20 minutes, never had one incident of crime in the 17 years i lived there. no car break in. no apartment/house break in. no hold ups. no road rage incidents. no stalking.

the terrible gainesville "student" murders was an anomaly for the city, done by a transient - and yet even while the murders were going on, i felt less frightened there than i did in miami in the 80s.

granted, gainesville changed during the 17 years i was there (1986 to 2003), but i am looking forward to moving back there shortly. i would never consider moving back to what is essentially "my home town" - miami, which became wholly unrecognizeable to those of us who grew up there in the 50s/60s.

i still had a few friends who decided to stay in miami due to business reasons. one of them, unfortunately, and much like this chiropractor, was in the wrong place at the wrong time. a homeless guy threw a piece of concrete at his head and then pounded him with it. he died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami