Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,275,788 times

Advertisements

There is someone on here that claims that NYC and Puerto Rico are the worst cities in the world as far as crime ....as if no one would dare walk those streets escpecially if they are from Florida or basically anywhere else in the world......who thinks that people in this forum from Miami would be scared to visit NYC or Puerto Rico and why do you think this "Hustla718" says all this stuff about other places even if the statistics prove him wrong?

Old 06-17-2007, 04:03 PM

132 posts, read 229,840 times
Well to start with, Puerto Rico is not a city....

Old 06-17-2007, 04:41 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,978 times
haha. actually ive heard many parts of puerto rico are more americanized than miami. i do hear that bars on windows is pretty common in puerto rico though. havent heard alot about new york though.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
I am from Miami and have never been very scared in either NYC, LA, or Las Vegas. Of course I am more careful there as a tourist, not being armed. In Miami many people are armed, so in a way I don't feel threatened by crime. My technique in Miami is to look as poor as possible, and be ready. Despite numerous visits to the city, I have never been a victim of crime. In any city if you know the areas to avoid you will do fine. In Miami-Dade county the worst criminals go by the title "county commissioner" and "mayor".

Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Actually NYC just got ranked safest large city in the US. As a local Miamiian I truely do not feel safe in any part of this county. Even in Pinecrest, Coral Gables or even on South Beach. Just because crime happens every where down here, not just in certain parts.

Tallricks I liked your last line a lot...

Old 06-17-2007, 06:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,916,163 times
NY is a very safe city with a few REALLY bad neighborhoods. Miami is a very dangerous city with a few good neighborhoods.

I am from NY and have watched the city improve, especially over thte past 15 years to become the safest city in the U.s. Dont believe me? Check city-data, you will be surprised.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:05 PM

184 posts, read 611,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
haha. actually ive heard many parts of puerto rico are more americanized than miami. i do hear that bars on windows is pretty common in puerto rico though. havent heard alot about new york though.

You heard wrong there is no place in Puerto Rico more "Americanized " than Miami ... the major cities like San Juan , Ponce and Mayaguez are very , very Puerto Rico and more "third world " than any major city in the U.S Miami included . There are some beautiful areas on the Island and in San Juan , especially Old San Juan , Hato Rey and Condado ... but the crime is very high and the murder rate is astronomical especially in San Juan ... much higher than in Miami . There is a lot of violence due to drug gangs and the police have had a tough time stopping it .... Orlando and San Juan are two cities were special federal task forces have had to go to help the locals with the violent crime issues . That said the people are nicer than in Miami , yes locals from San Juan are very friendly and people from the small fishing towns around the Island are super nice ... too bad about the crime problems and the never ending economic issues . I actually like Puerto Rico and they have tremendous tourisom potential if they can control the social issues . I travel to Puerto Rico three - four times a year , so I have a good grasp of what is going on down there .

Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 PM

184 posts, read 611,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
NY is a very safe city with a few REALLY bad neighborhoods. Miami is a very dangerous city with a few good neighborhoods.

I am from NY and have watched the city improve, especially over thte past 15 years to become the safest city in the U.s. Dont believe me? Check city-data, you will be surprised.
NYC used to be a dangerous city .... but Giuliani did a great job in cleaning the city up and it is now very safe for a city of its size .

Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek1 View Post
NYC used to be a dangerous city .... but Giuliani did a great job in cleaning the city up and it is now very safe for a city of its size .
Now we need someone to clean this city up and make it a very safe city like NYC.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:37 PM

929 posts, read 1,158,978 times
derek, thats my only requisite pretty much. if miami had nice people i could forgive everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami