Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Sr. Highs (9 - 12):
Hialeah High - not very good, all Hispanic
Hialeah Miami Lakes Sr. - not very good, mostly Hispanic, some black
Westland Hialeah Sr. - too new to tell, all Hispanic, great principal
Barbara Goleman Sr. - better than the others, better class of students, all Hispanic
American Sr. - not very good, less than 7% white, non-Hispanic
Hialeah Gardens Sr. - too new to tell, but will probably be a pretty good school, good principal
Miami Lakes Educational Center, formerly Miami Lakes Tech - Best deal in town. Good faculty, good student body, high standards and, because it is a school of choice, it can dump students who are discipline problems.

All Hialeah area high schools, with the exception of ML Ed Center and maybe the two new schools, have a gang presence, but violence is not widespread.

As far as private schools go, I wouldn't recommend any that are in Hialeah.

I've lived in the northwest corner of Dade for 40 years and retired from the public school system after 37 years as a high school teacher.

MDCPS test results:
FCAT
Why are you basing how good the schools are upon race? The schools in areas like Doral and Pembroke Pines and minority-majority and they're certainly not bad (Doral's even being highly rated).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 03:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Why are you basing how good the schools are upon race? The schools in areas like Doral and Pembroke Pines and minority-majority and they're certainly not bad (Doral's even being highly rated).

maybe they a racist biggot?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
You mean 'bigot' ?

This song is dedicated to Hialeah... "Chicharones!!! ........Solo 30 minutos al FIU..." (Only 30 minutes to FIU!!!) I love it!!!

YouTube - Sweet Home Hialeah ENRIQUEyJOE.com

Old 02-21-2009, 05:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Cuba Libre, where do you live? I thought you were away from Florida, but your location now says MIA.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:46 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
I did not base my assessment of the educational quality of the school on its 'racial' make up. Fact is, all Hialeah area high schools are predominantly Hispanic (an ethnic grouping, not a race). It's pretty much a level playing field as far as demographics go. Family income/parental involvement is a much better predictor of school quality than is ethnic background.

You are correct in stating that Doral is highly rated. However, the original question was about Hialeah schools.

BTW, since posting my comments, a few Goleman Sr. teachers have told me that they have a serious gang problem in their school.

Last edited by ray1945; 02-22-2009 at 09:02 AM..

Old 02-22-2009, 11:05 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I did not base my assessment of the educational quality of the school on its 'racial' make up. Fact is, all Hialeah area high schools are predominantly Hispanic (an ethnic grouping, not a race). It's pretty much a level playing field as far as demographics go. Family income/parental involvement is a much better predictor of school quality than is ethnic background.

You are correct in stating that Doral is highly rated. However, the original question was about Hialeah schools.

BTW, since posting my comments, a few Goleman Sr. teachers have told me that they have a serious gang problem in their school.
Why did you mention race as the main descriptor then? The reason I mentioned Doral schools is because you made it sound like these schools are bad due to having minority students as the majority when in fact other schools that have these don't have that problem. So I was saying don't base something just off of that like you were doing.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Why did you mention race as the main descriptor then? The reason I mentioned Doral schools is because you made it sound like these schools are bad due to having minority students as the majority when in fact other schools that have these don't have that problem. So I was saying don't base something just off of that like you were doing.
Race was specifically mentioned in one school, HML, and obliquely referred to in another, American, because they are the only two schools in the Hialeah area that are not almost exclusively Hispanic.

You are assuming that I was posing a causal relationship between quality of education and student demographic, which was not my intention.

All MDC high schools have minority students as the majority, the 'good' ones as well as the 'bad' ones. Minority/majority is not a factor when comparing school excellence. Anyone who lives in MDC knows that.

It is possible that someone from out of the area would not be aware of that fact and would get the wrong impression from my original post. For that I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami