Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 34,299 times

Advertisements

Ok, i'm 34 (black by the way) been in miami all my life i crew up in the 80's where miami was a war zone and when we had over 500 to 600 murders a year due to the drug trade between the cubans and columbians, but i have notice over the past 2 years the tension between cubans not liking white people, not saying all cubans but i mean from my job to people on the beach and night clubs hearing different racist remarks, etc..

can somebody on here tell me whats the problem or is it just my imagination

Old 07-13-2008, 07:24 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,455 times
i'm hispanic (dominican, which is ironic since most of us are black) and yes, we are usually racist. i doubt anyone is going to "fix" this problem as it's a deeply rooted issue (parents teaching it to their kids, kids to their kids, etc).

Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM

149 posts, read 562,561 times
My take has always been that everybody is "racist" in some regard. Some are just more open and expressive about it.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 PM

433 posts, read 953,277 times
Yeah, sometimes I hate my angloamerican mother in-law

Old 07-13-2008, 10:36 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE CHAPLIN View Post
Ok, i'm 34 (black by the way) been in miami all my life i crew up in the 80's where miami was a war zone and when we had over 500 to 600 murders a year due to the drug trade between the cubans and columbians, but i have notice over the past 2 years the tension between cubans not liking white people, not saying all cubans but i mean from my job to people on the beach and night clubs hearing different racist remarks, etc..

can somebody on here tell me whats the problem or is it just my imagination
The overwhelming majority of Cubans and Cuban-Americans in Miami-Dade County are white, as are Anglos. There really isn't a "race" issue between the two groups. In fact, they have a pretty high rate of intermarriage. I knew a lot of half Cuban / half Anglo kids growing up. There is far more tension between Hispanics (not just Cubans) and blacks than between Hispanics and Anglos.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM

100 posts, read 503,148 times
25-30 years ago, during the "English Only" debates and when there was a much more sizable Anglo population in Miami-Dade, I think there was more fertile ground for an actual "problem".

Old 07-14-2008, 01:57 PM

190 posts, read 814,240 times
Forgive me because I come from the old school, but just today at work I commented that I have never seen a white cop in all of Miami-Dade County. My gf works at the public defender's office and told me about a drug bust that was made and only one cop was part of it that spoke Spanish so the police can say,"Oh, we didn't understand them so we went right in." Now, I'm wondering how is that possible when I have never seen a white cop in the year I have lived here. Anyway, during lunch was when I made my comment as a motorcycle cop whizzed by. My half Cuban half Italian co-worker said, "What do you mean? He's white." The guy I saw on the motorcycle was slightly lighter than me and looked like a Hispanic guy who could never be thought of as a white guy in a Klan rally. Am I missing something? Are all Hispanics considered white down here?

Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Hispanic is not a race. Caucasian is a race, and white is a subgroup of that race. White roughly equals "light-skinned Caucasian" and all people of European origin are included in that category. Most Hispanics in South Florida are non-mixed or relatively non-mixed descendants of Europeans, so therefore they are white. You have lived down in South Florida for a long time and haven't figured that out? People anywhere in the world would laugh you out of the room if you tried to say that Ricky Martin, Gloria Estefan, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, etc. were not white! LOL As a side note, the Klan has historically hated many "white" people, including Italians, Hispanics, Jews, Lebanese, etc. Not all "white" people are Anglo-Saxon.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblanco22 View Post
25-30 years ago, during the "English Only" debates and when there was a much more sizable Anglo population in Miami-Dade, I think there was more fertile ground for an actual "problem".
True, true. I think when we lost the English-only fight most Anglo-Saxons felt there was no reason to keep up the good fight (for our culture). Hence, no more "problem" (from the victor's perspective).

Old 07-14-2008, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 20,943 times
The problem with Cuban people is that they come to United States with the right foot -green card, work permit and most of them have family already settled. They don’t want to learn English, and expect Americans to learn Spanish. They have converted Miami in the little Cuba. It's horrible to go to Miami and see all the viejas hunging out and gossiping on the streets. That's junk!!! then they wonder why people don't like Cubans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami