Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:19 AM

61 posts, read 187,704 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in finding out the differences, if any, between these two cities, and the pros and cons of each one. Which would be better for a 36 yo SWF to move to as far as quality of life, cost of living, employment opportunities, single men and the dating scene, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 48,964 times
I have lived in Miami, Florida for almost three years now. I would definitely recommend Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. I hope I don't offend anyone, but here are the reasons why.

Cost of living is terrible both places, employment opportunities are about the same in both locations (however, you'll see fewer "Spanish speaker preferred/required" in the Ft. Lauderdale job descriptions), and traffic is terrible in both locations. I would say Ft. Lauderdale is more friendly for white people. If you were latin, Miami would definitely be the place to go. Because you're white, you'll face a lot of descrimination in Miami. If you don't speak Spanish, many people will be extremely rude to you and will even refuse to talk to you. Others truly don't speak Spanish and can't talk to you. That includes places of business. Honestly, most white americans feel like they're not even in the US when they're in Miami. The dating scene is probably the same in both locations (I'm married, so I don't really know.) However, if you prefer to date those of your own ethnic background, Ft. Lauderdale is probably a better place for you. Most men you'll meet in Miami will be of latin decent, which may be okay for you. I don't mean any offense, I love ethic diversity, but Miami doesn't feel very diverse. It's pretty much latin. On the up side, that means that Miami has great restaurants and night life. If you want to learn more about the latin culture or if you appreciate the latin culture, Miami is the place to be.

Word of warning, South Florida is extremely expensive. It's hard to do on two incomes, so I can't imagine doing it on one. Visit the area to look at housing before you make the decision. If not, you may end up house poor and not be able afford to go out on dates.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM

61 posts, read 187,704 times
KitCat-Thanks for your perspective, I do like Latin culture, and enjoy going out salsa dancing on weekends, etc., but I don't know if I want to be totally immersed in it, so Ft. Lauderdale might be better for me. I would not even dream of buying a home down there, I would be renting.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times
I lived in Miami for over 16 years and then moved to the Ft Lauderdale area about 4 years ago. There is a notable difference between the two areas, and like KitCat mentioned...you may be better off checking out Ft Lauderdale first. You can always drive down to Miami to visit!

Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Many of my friends see Miami as the ghetto overall (not all of it) and Ft. Lauderdale as the suburbs. Or it would be like living in NYC vs. living on Long Island. Somedays I like the grit of Miami, but then when I go to Weston or Coral Springs I like the manicured roads and shops of Ft. Lauderdale. You need to check both out for yourself.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 AM

57 posts, read 244,104 times
Default Not a ghetto

"Many of my friends see Miami as the ghetto overall"

You've got to be kidding me. Like every big city in America, Miami has it share of problems but this is hyperbole to say the least. Far from being an overall ghetto, most reasonably minded people would draw the opposite conclusion, if they spent anytime in Miami Beach, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Little Havana, downtown or many other neighborhoods.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
If you would of read what I wrote, you would of seen I added (not all of it). This is what most of my friends that don't live here see it as. So of course when we show them around we avoid the not so nice areas, and hopefully they get a better idea of Miami is. But this is what people think of Miami generally, it isn't the case in all parts. But for your example of downtown or Little Havana, these two places I wouldn't consider safe areas.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:09 AM

55 posts, read 324,744 times
To Anglos: Learn Spanish so the whole hemisphere can nicely open up to you!

To Latins: Learn english for the same benefit.

To the multilingual europeans: Keep laughing at the stupidity

Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM

11 posts, read 54,881 times
Quote:
don't mean any offense, I love ethic diversity, but Miami doesn't feel very diverse.
I hear this often on this forum and I think some folks are equating language with race with culture. There over 22 countries in the world that speak spanish each with it's own dynamic and diverse culture and racial makeup. They are not all Latin (as the adjetive "Latin" or "Latino" in modern terms implies Latin America) some come from Europe and others from the Carribean. Just because you are not familiar with the diversity of these countries doesn't mean that there isn't any.

I don't mean to pick on you...I've heard this often from a number of people and thought I should address it. I understand what you are saying in general, that the prevailing language in Maimi is Spanish and that it overshadows all others, nonetheless implying that there is no cultural diversity sounds ignorant.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:49 PM

83 posts, read 326,270 times
Default Here is the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb0624 View Post
I would be interested in finding out the differences, if any, between these two cities, and the pros and cons of each one. Which would be better for a 36 yo SWF to move to as far as quality of life, cost of living, employment opportunities, single men and the dating scene, etc.?
My personal opinion, I do not want neither.. I have seen the night life of both and I have seen it all in both areas. The people who live in Browad think they are better than the people in Dade and the people in Dade county just don't understand. The people in Dade County work in Broward and Broward works in Dade hehehe I have seen mean people in both counties. Crime is bad on both areas. Bad drivers on I95 just like the palmetto. Accidents all the time between hollywood and sheridan. Ft Lauderdale is pretty big. Spanish people are all over Broward and Dade. I was not going to say anything about spanish speaking because you never really mentioned anything about it. But, because someone else posted it I thought I should share some truth. So really, who cares what you speak, right? If people are honest, respectful, I want to be there. There is plenty of work in both areas. I work in Dade County and most people in my place of work do not speak spanish, and the ones that do speak spanish, also speak english. You will survive here without speaking spanish, for real. The night life, food and single life is great in both counties...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami