Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about the little one duh - the big ones - they are quite aggressive, but I bet if you speak to their handlers they would tell you they are docile and sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Sorry, but they are inherently dangerous. If I see your dog loose, and it is a pitbull, I will kill it first and then call animal control.

There is no reason to own those monsters. I have seen first hand what they do.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 AM

18 posts, read 45,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
It isn't that they bite more more frequently - it is just reported more frequently. Truth be told Chihauha's and spanial have the highest rate of biting the hands that feed them. But, that hand is likey to stay in tact when being bitten by these breeds. You have every right to your opinion and your experience with the breed points you in that direction unfortunately. I have a feeling however, if you actually had this dog, you wouldn't be mistreating it either.
Your post fails, it's almost as if you cherrypicked sentences to simply make your point. Forget temperament for one minute, although my dog comes from the same breed and served the same purpose a century ago, an English Bulldog has NEVER been known to inherently act aggressively towards humans. These animals were given as Christmas gifts to children in Britain based on their docile manner and demeanor to the point that children could grab at them without repurcussion, that's not an old wive's tale that is FACT.

Pitbulls are reported more frequently because it's usually news when an animal goes on a rampage maiming animals BEHIND fences or permanently scarring innocent children!! The same way it is not front page news when a spouse hits another, unfortunately it is only when that person is seriously injured or killed. Chihauhas and Spaniels usually don't require MULTIPLE animal control officers to subdue them either. Please let everyone here know which breed of the 3 mentioned above you would prefer attack you if put in such a situation...maybe if you're lucky enough to have your face still attached you can blame the pitbull owner for lack of proper training. Jeez, I knew the argument would turn this way, I mean it's not like we haven't heard enough stories from loyal owners that HAVEN'T mistreated their pitbulls, or overly babied them like a family member only to be attacked. I gave you an example of 4 random owners I've known, with pitbulls from 4 separate breeders and the exact same results and this to you MUST be an exception to the rule?!

Just for disclosure, my wife was attacked by her family's beagle which bit almost every family member because she was protective of their Mom (who found this "adorable" despite the animal's history/behavior...she has issues). She required 27 stitches in her face/head of which plastic surgery made literally non-existant fortunately. The reason I mention this is to agree that owners are responsible for training their pets, yet to also state that had this been a pitbull she would most likely be disfigured since it would take alot more than one person to pull off a dog the same size of said beagle.

Just because an animal is "trainable" doesn't make it any less dangerous, otherwise we'd all own sharks.

Last edited by bulldogz; 02-11-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 AM

18 posts, read 45,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I'm not talking about the little one duh - the big ones - they are quite aggressive, but I bet if you speak to their handlers they would tell you they are docile and sweet.

(sigh...), Chelsea, no one is saying that pitbulls CAN'T be docile and sweet, it is simply that they require significantly more attention than the majority of breeds, and when not given that they are extremely dangerous. I bet lion cubs and bears are docile and sweet, but God help the person who inadvertantly pisses them off

I primarily chose my breed based on the fact that they will react to you accordingly: if you had a long day at work and don't feel like playing, they find something else to do until you are available, and if you want to play with them they are rearing to go. I have taken my wife to countless Bulldog Meet-ups (and she is wary of MOST dogs based on her exp.) and never once has she been apprehensive to go up to a total stranger's English Bulldog for fear of being attacked. Slobbered yes, attacked no.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM

first of all - why are you so angry - I love pitts, but that is a personal choice. And I never said your dog and the pitt came from the same breed what I said was that your dog is part of what makes the pitbull breed. Your dog happens to be a pure breed. I'm not debating which dog is more dangerous if in the wrong hands. I'm just saying that in the right hands they can be very good pets. You shouldn't have an opinion on that unless you ever owned one. Not ever wanting to have one is perfectly acceptable. What is not is to say that they are horrible and that you will shoot first and as questions later. That is all my point is. You really have to try and not get so excited though.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM

I'm Chelsa by the way - see you are just so wrong about your statements. I will give you the fact that I'm sure many people have told you that they are hard to deal with and blah blah blah. But I have owned 4 in my life, one of which turned on me after having him for a year (he was abused and I saved him, when there was no saving). I know first hand the damage these guys can do. I went the next month and got another one to avoid having a fear of dogs and can tell you hands down that he was the best dog, I have ever had in my life. I'm an avid dog lover and have had many breeds, spaniels, doberman's, shephards, poodles, yorkie, ****zu, pitts and now a chorkie. I love all of my dogs unconditionally, but my favorite breed remains the pitt because of its personality.

Before you get crazy on me again - I agree that in the wrong hands these animals are very, very dangerous and are not appropriate for every home. That being said I completely understand a persons point of view, not even wanting to invest the time in to the breed. Personally, I love them and have had both good and bad experiences with them.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 PM

28 posts, read 97,536 times
Due to the stupidity of others in raising their pitbulls, your right to own this breed has been revoked! May I recommend a move to Broward?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:30 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Its really sad what us humans have done to these dogs. This was breed into them years and years ago...And today if you get a pure bred pit there is no telling whether it will turn on other animals or humans, even in a good home. Its really sad. The only way to change this is to breed these dogs with other breeds, sort of breeding out the bad side of pits. I like the law on the books in Miami-Dade and I hope Broward and Palm Beach adopt a similar law in the future, to keep other dogs and people safe.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM

28 posts, read 97,536 times
Its not the dog my friend, its the owner. Hang around a well natured American Pitbull Terrier and let me know what you think.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Love them - they are my favorite breed ever and this is coming from someone who has been attacked by one. I still love them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami